Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Spoke with the Ci and I'm going to let it slide. if I see him at an event I will ask him what I should do to be a better teacher and see what he would do if he were in my shoes. I reviewed his last 10 years, he wants to be an instructor and is a level 4 (Experienced) out of 7 levels. He has been attempting to get signed off to L5 (Advanced) which will put him on a path to becoming an instructor. He has been rejected x3 since 2017 by three different instructors and is stuck at L4.
From my seat I think there may be a jealousy factor, and I'll keep that in mind.

Testing Friday in the cup car, hopefully it wont snow.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Testing Friday in the cup car, hopefully it wont snow.
I saw that today with a buddy up that way.

Good luck with the new ride.

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Saw this over the weekend. You better look out, he might be coming for you.. View attachment 150854
Oh my he drives it on the street like that?

Good God.

Tested the cup car Friday. All I can say is I just about died and went to heaven. Was doing my race times at about 6/10 effort. The car is a fucking handful and in the wrong hands it can do damage. I felt at home and had to reprogram my driving. The car is lighter, has more brakes, rotates quicker, and has great balance. Power delivery is linear with zero flat spots or peaks, sequential took a little time to dial in along with the auto blipper.

Had an issue with a ground wire on the electric steering, first session I thought that if I have to do an hour race like this (no power steering) I'm going to need oxygen if I even finish. We fixed it and I practiced getting used to the car. The more I pushed the more it wanted, keep in mind I'm on scrubs, have new rotors and pads and need to let everything settle in. The pirelli's were spot on with pressure after 3 laps. Started at 24 and the were at 29 and that where they liked to play at. I did three 45 minute sessions and skipped the last session.
Overall I am impressed as hell by this platform.

Of course my SD card did not work so no video.

I am awe of this car and can't imagine what a 992 cup is like.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Just broke the track record for GT2 class in my 997.1 by 1.6 seconds on scrubs at Palmer (unofficial). Track record for GT2 was set in September 2020 by a C6 @141.6. I did a 140.03 and the track record for GT1 (Transam Cars) is 139.8.

My predictive time adding in the best sectors from the Motec was 139.6 (Motec is a little dated but very functional, typical German software and hardware) It was 90+ degrees out, no cool suit or drink bottle, inside the cockpit was 110+ and remember there are windows in this thing as they are glued in and up. Worked on setting up the brake bias it was set at -.05 with a range of l +7 - -7 and I was most comfortable with +2 in the 4th session. Made zero suspension adjustments. Getting familiar with the brakes and acceleration /grip on exit as I have to relearn my driving style. Max braking pressure to lockup (no ABS) is 1000 PSI I was hitting 800 in the last 2 sessions. Shifting was much better, I started at 6/10's had 4 sessions and worked up to 8/10's. Did have a low speed off in T4 the ass end came around, I thought I had it saved but it was just to slippery with the heat which makes this section of the track greasy. I was a little miffed that I couldn't save it and only did a few more laps after that as it was just to hot and I was not pissing clear so that = mistakes.

Overall I could not believe the pace I was running at, I can't imagine what new tires and a cooler race day would bring, at least another 3 seconds and if everything goes right perhaps 4. Those are Formula Atlantic times which is insane to even be close to them.

It has been a long time since I've been this excited and I'm looking forward to my first race. Here is the new Wrap and times, the 139 is the best sector times the 140.03 is my best actual time.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Display device Multimedia

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Congrats, Mike.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Just broke the track record for GT2 class in my 997.1 by 1.6 seconds on scrubs at Palmer (unofficial). Track record for GT2 was set in September 2020 by a C6 @141.6. I did a 140.03 and the track record for GT1 (Transam Cars) is 139.8.

My predictive time adding in the best sectors from the Motec was 139.6 (Motec is a little dated but very functional, typical German software and hardware) It was 90+ degrees out, no cool suit or drink bottle, inside the cockpit was 110+ and remember there are windows in this thing as they are glued in and up. Worked on setting up the brake bias it was set at -.05 with a range of l +7 - -7 and I was most comfortable with +2 in the 4th session. Made zero suspension adjustments. Getting familiar with the brakes and acceleration /grip on exit as I have to relearn my driving style. Max braking pressure to lockup (no ABS) is 1000 PSI I was hitting 800 in the last 2 sessions. Shifting was much better, I started at 6/10's had 4 sessions and worked up to 8/10's. Did have a low speed off in T4 the ass end came around, I thought I had it saved but it was just to slippery with the heat which makes this section of the track greasy. I was a little miffed that I couldn't save it and only did a few more laps after that as it was just to hot and I was not pissing clear so that = mistakes.

Overall I could not believe the pace I was running at, I can't imagine what new tires and a cooler race day would bring, at least another 3 seconds and if everything goes right perhaps 4. Those are Formula Atlantic times which is insane to even be close to them.

It has been a long time since I've been this excited and I'm looking forward to my first race. Here is the new Wrap and times, the 139 is the best sector times the 140.03 is my best actual time.

View attachment 151196

View attachment 151195
That is awesome! Its cool you can actually squeeze the extra performance out of the new platform. It seems like a huge step up from the old BMW.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
It's apple to oranges, there is no comparison. Both times at the test days I had a parade of people ogling the car, I never had those feelings for cup cars and was surprised at the looks a 10 year old platform was getting. I'm used to people stopping by to chat but this was on a new level. (The car was all white, zero markings) It was as though the people elevated to the car as the holy grail of track cars for that day. When I went out many of the people had clocks on the car and would come up to me and smile. Don't worry it won't go to my head....

The car is way beyond my two BMW's and the only BMW that comes close is the 00 car of the team owner (E92M3) which has over 150K invested.

It does everything right and feels good while doing it. It keeps you on your toes, and is a joy to drive. Most of the BMW drivers don't like the rear engine, I LOVE it. Looks like my first race with be the SCCA US Majors tour in July at Thompson. There will be a stacked GT2 class and I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Palmer clockwise - getting the car sorted. Finally got the aim to upload the flash and got the camera working. Palmer clockwise should be banned from the face of the earth- it just flat out sucks and has no flow.

I'm still using the old braking points from my E90M3.

Car is on 2 year old scrubs and it shows. Mission accomplished today. Aim smartcam working, brake bias sorted, Motec software downloaded and working on my track laptop. It's very robust, much more than the aim I'm used and I have loads of data points to select.

I'm going to keep it simple with RPM, Brake Bias, Oil temp, fuel pressure, engine temp, steering angle, track sector times. There is drive shaft rotation, yaw, you name it. The best part is you can break down the track into sectors (you select) and the system will put together a predictive lap based on times. You can see in what sectors you need to pick up the pace.

The system has very limited internal memory so you need to download after each session and upon arrival out in the lat/lon for the track. AIM is GPS configurable so this is something new. Data for days.

Video to follow. Oh - I LOVE THIS CAR.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
2,518 Posts
Time to change the title of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Palmer clockwise - getting the car sorted. Finally got the aim to upload the flash and got the camera working. Palmer clockwise should be banned from the face of the earth- it just flat out sucks and has no flow.

I'm still using the old braking points from my E90M3.

Car is on 2 year old scrubs and it shows. Mission accomplished today. Aim smartcam working, brake bias sorted, Motec software downloaded and working on my track laptop. It's very robust, much more than the aim I'm used and I have loads of data points to select.

I'm going to keep it simple with RPM, Brake Bias, Oil temp, fuel pressure, engine temp, steering angle, track sector times. There is drive shaft rotation, yaw, you name it. The best part is you can break down the track into sectors (you select) and the system will put together a predictive lap based on times. You can see in what sectors you need to pick up the pace.

The system has very limited internal memory so you need to download after each session and upon arrival out in the lat/lon for the track. AIM is GPS configurable so this is something new. Data for days.

Video to follow. Oh - I LOVE THIS CAR.
Happy for you my friend. I look forward to seeing the car at Sebring again.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Happy for you my friend. I look forward to seeing the car at Sebring again.
Thanks Ray ! Moving up from T1 (SCCA) to GT2. Its going to be a ball running in that class behind the GT1 (Trans AM) cars. I hope to put on a good show.

If you look to the end you can see the new CT6 Platinum. I like that car as well, wish it was a BW, but she wants a new car next year so I get the used street cars and whatever I want for race cars (within reason)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
finishing the wrap this week. adjusted the modc data
oooooh. I like it. They will see you coming up in their mirrors as you are passing the field.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 · (Edited)
It is bright. Just finished getting dropped of today!!!!!!! Debut US MAJORS SCCA tour Thompson CT. 7/8/9 July.

I just left the shop as it arrived at lunch, man it is a loud wrap. There were many people ogling it and the green is almost fluorescent. One thing for sure- you will see me coming and going.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
US Majors Tour (SCCA) qualifying in the rain- make that a fucking monsoon. 4 cars crashed 2 with hard damage the other 2 minor. 6 drivers did not go. The track conditions were horrible, but I like wet weather driving, it takes massive concentration and soft inputs and a real feel for the car.
had a few pucker moments on the front straight and one coming into the pits.

Put the car on pole by 4 seconds and they cancelled the day after our session. all races tomorrow and it looks to be dry.

I'll post videos when I have a chance.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Two 2nd places in a tough class with changing track conditions. Not bad for a debut especially in a majors race. Teammate took both wins and he was a force. Videos when I get a chance.
Not too shabby, my friend.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Video's

Still getting used to the car, some sloppy footwork and a few missed shifts. The car is VIOLENT, it requires your utmost attention and concentration, you can not and must not overdrive the car. It will spit you sideways and the feedback is immediate with traction, over/understeer, every little detail is magnified. The feedback is quick and you MUST adapt and understand what the car is telling you and provide quick inputs (Throttle/steering/braking) to drive it at optimum. Throttle steering with 305 rears is a blast and you can really point and shoot this thing.

My team mate has almost two years in the car and has his dialed in addition to being fast af. It will be some time before I can catch him, good news is I out qualified him in the wet by 4 seconds for pole position.

Qual 1 (rain)
Race 1 (Semi wet) Pole position
Race 2

181 - 200 of 222 Posts