Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 track only car. Stock motor and trans, getting MCS upgrade all around over the winter and some other light mods. Keeping the tranny and motor stock. Trans is getting a shot throw shifter and I run 285x35x18 squared setup with goodrich R1's. car is a bit of a porker but well balance and really easy to drive. Motor revs and revs, overall a really fun track car.

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well that looks fun!

My only complaint there would be the BFGs. I've never ever had good luck with those on a car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a full Dinan S3-R package minus the wheels before needing more room, much more power, and less expensive maintenance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nice ride! I had a 2003 E-46 I traded in on my V. Germans make some nice cars, parts are expensive though.

·
Registered
921 Posts
However, on a boat........just sayin'
The E46 weighs about 3,400. On THIS forum full of 2+ ton tanks, that's more like a raft. :)

I think the heaviest car I ever had them on was my '96 Corvette running time trials. It weighed about 3,000 at the time so quite a bit lighter. I have heard others say that they love the R1 so maybe the problem for me is a loose nut behind the wheel.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Botch316!

The R1's are decent, the Hoosiers were out of stock so I opted for those. Not nearly as good as the Hoosiers. My 240SX is about 2600 lbs and yes the E46M3 is about 3500, hence my nickname for her, Pork Chop.
Really well balanced though. I know that Caddy has been shooting for the Germans for a while and closing, however I like the steering better in the BMW. The warden drives a 335 and in both BMW's the steering is better than my caddy. Better feel, better response, all around I like the BMW's better. Now I know this is a caddy forum and I'll probably get some $hit, but that's the truth.

·
Registered
456 Posts
No argument about the steering. I wonder if the steering rack in the coupe has a slightly faster ratio the time the sedan/wagon? Maybe even a modified stock rack or one from another vehicle that will bolt in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
2002 track only car. Stock motor and trans, getting MCS upgrade all around over the winter and some other light mods. Keeping the tranny and motor stock. Trans is getting a shot throw shifter and I run 285x35x18 squared setup with goodrich R1's. car is a bit of a porker but well balance and really easy to drive. Motor revs and revs, overall a really fun track car.
I'm sorry, did you say bit of a porker?! LOL Welcome to the site. Any plans of getting a CTS-V?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The E46 is my favorite M3. The last normally aspirated M3 with the correct number and orientation of cylinders. It was very high on my list when I decided on the V.

I'm currently on the fence about buying/building a spec E46.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the E36 guys love to tell me how "heavy" the 46 is. The 46 does everything better than the 36 but the purists still adore the 36. to each his own I guess.

I picked mine up on a whim while at NJMP racing, a friend said there is a E46M3 that I should look at. It was a LOT more project than I wanted to get into, so I tossed a number. Well low and behold I got it, took it home. Been enjoying it ever since. I'll be adding soe stuff over the winter and I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sent Pork Chop to the shop, some ex Turner Motor sports guys that tuned and wrenched for them out on their own.

Car has a 30 mm front sway bar set on the hardest setting. No idea why they put in such a large bar and this is probably contributing to the understeer. Removed the a/c and all the fixings, both rear control arms (stock) were bent, replaced with TC Kline. Car was a converted SMG car, so ripping out the harness and related bs with that as well. Installing brake ducting kit in the front, quick release wheel, new front sway bar bushings, short throw shifter (rogue engineering) and a bunch of general housekeeping.

In November she goes in for the the full spec cage, Motion Control or JRZ all around, new performance friction rotors and brakes, racing dash switch panel with battery off and push start. Ripping out the heater core and anything to lighten her up. Going to do rod bearings, valve adjust and vanos along with a tune and dyno to run GTS3 with NASA and I think T2 with SCCA.

Good news is the car came from Florida and has zero rust.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the build Continues

On order and to be installed

TC Kline DA coilovers
500f/600r pound springs
AIM MXL 7" display with smarty cam and data overlay
Race dash and switch panel
Fire suppression
Cage
Lexan side and rear windows
Fiberglass doors
Carbon Fiber hood
Braille 15 lightweight battery
A bunch of other shit

Was at New Hampshire speedway with BMW CCA last month and weighed the car:
2925 lbs 1/3 fuel, no driver two seats (I am 175) This is with the titanium straight pipe in the rear, it weighs 6 pounds . Other tracks I have to bolt up the stock muffler (Lime Rock, Palmer) and the stock weighs over 40 pounds !

I should be able to get the car to sub 2750. Goal is @2600 or less. 18 pounds of sound deadning was hacked out that job sucked.
Pulled the half cage and everything else that I could. Side windows are removed as well.

Removed the headlights and replaced with carbon fiber blanks they came (I bought on line) with the halo (angel) stickers I left them on what do you guys think ?
Here are some pics.

Cage and interior paint start next week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I race in Chumpcar, Lemons, AER & Lucky Dog. (Endurance racing).
We race an E36 most of the time.
I'm focusing a LOT more on that hobby now and it's why I'm selling the V. I just bought an E36 M3 ('99) and am in the process of making it my DD.

If you're able to, are you also going to get a fuel cell, do you not need it for your racing events or does the series you compete in not allow it?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Doube e,

I'll probably get a fuel cell, right now I am building the car for me, not a series if that makes sense. I run in AER but on another E46M3 team. This car is for me only and I'll probably run it in GTS3 in NASA or I think TT2 in SCCA along with caching for several track day events here in the northeast along with BMW CCA.

Heard good things about lucky dog, never raced chump and lemons I would not call racing, (no offence to you). There is another series called World endurance series, have you run with them ? Sorry to hear your selling the V.... I know a lot of BMW guys that like them and drive them, but don't let people know. Kind of like boning a hot fat chick....

There are plenty or parts out there for the E36/46 which make this fun. Also, I just received the AIM MXL unit from summit racing and they price matched a guy over in england I saved $700 bucks!

I'll post some pics after paint and cage.

-M

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
2600 will be difficult, but not impossible. That seems to be about par for spec 46, which has marginally lighter running gear. Apparently if you split open the wiring harness, there's about 20 pounds of wires that can be eliminated.

I've actually found LeMons to be much more demanding than Spec E30.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts