Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of us have said when we have bought another car... " I not going to go crazy with this one". This seriously was not my intention with this car. Unfortunate circumstances of my own stupidity put me in this position as I left water in my intercooler system and had it transported in the freezing cold weather to Weapon X for what we planned to be a low side fuel kit. My transported tells me boy she doesn't like the cold, she had a hard time starting when I went to take her of the truck. ( Mind you I don't call my car HER ) his words. It was a that point I remembered I left water in the car. I called Ben at Weapon X immediately and told him of my mistake and concern.

As with every car they get a baseline dyno on, they do a compression check prior to strapping it down. The bad news followed. Two bent rods. I guess water doesn't compress very well. LOL

So now I have some choices. HMMM what to do. At that point there was only the 2.3 edlebrock available as an upgrade, and the Whipple was still under development. Do I just drop a couple of rods in it and hope for the best, do I build a nitrous motor and stick with the 1.7, twin turbo 427 build?

We settled on a full build capable of 1500 HP with hopes of the Whipple being ready by the time we got the engine back. The build is a 388.

Fast forward to May of 2017 the car is completed, I head out to Weapon X to do some track verification with the car before heading home with it. I arrive at the shop and they are doing some finishing touches and some last minute tuning. There were a couple of small things that Blake ( Bens business partner) said that I may want to do at a later date for preventive reasons, and I agreed. I hung out for the day as they finished tuning the car ended up at 910 HP. Great!!!

We head to the track despite a forecast of showers, one of Blakes concerns was one of the plastic idler pulleys, and that I should replace it with a steel one, they had one a the shop but not a belt that would work. Well low and behold after two pass attempts at the track the plastic pulley explodes. Well our day is over. At some point a Fed X truck had shown up to the track with a package for Blake. Blake pulls a pulley out of his bag of tools, and opens the Fed X box. BOOM a belt. Talk about customer service and preparing for the worst. That made my day. We get the pulley on and off we go, NOPE here comes the rain Track shuts down. Ben tells me let me know when your heading to a track at home and Ill send you track support ( mechanic and tuner).
Awesome!! Again to me going above and beyond with the customer service.

So I head to Atco, Ben flys my track support in. Crappy hot ass June day. I make a pass at the 1000' mark or so car goes into REP mode. ETC safety shut down. This happens repeatedly. No code nothing just a message. We reach out to many people no one has heard of it. And it has never happened on the street and I had several WOT pulls from 2nd gear through 6th in excess of 150 mph prior to this with no issues. I decide to short shift the car at 5K finally i make a full pass at 10.1 @ 142. Pretty good for short shifting but no acceptable. The day is over.

I never made it back to the track and could never figure out what that message was. It finally happened once on the street later in the fall.

I send the car back to Weapon X to do a direct port meth install and get ready for the Cadillac Attack, and do a once over on the car. Bens engineer at Weapon X decide to see if they can get their SPI( Secondary Port Injection) kit to work with the Whipple Blower. Success. So no more meth addiction for me. Im a recovering addict now. Able to run on full pump E85. And we picked up more power. WIN WIN

Ill skip the details on Orlando as I discussed them in another thread here.

Off to Ohio this past weekend for some track validation.... again. First successful pass 9.8 then 9.7, 9.6 and finally a 9.5 @ 146!! There is still more in the car easily will see a 9.3 at 148.

I can't express the level of customer service that Ben, Blake and the entire crew at Weapon X have given me through this past year. I have seen friends have work performed at many other shops across the country. And have never seen customer service at this level. The level of detail given to the car and the communication between myself and the shop were unparalleled to anything I have experienced in the past.

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

I’m sure your attitude and approach as a customer is equally appreciated by WeaponX.

As many horror stories we hear about shops, I bet the horror stories about customers are 10x more common, if shops would share (but they don’t, as is the professional approach).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
Car is a beast for sure and Weapon X shop sounds top notch! Ben and his wife are good people and offer great products and customer service to this community. Can't wait to see if on kill at Atco in January DA. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing.

I’m sure your attitude and approach as a customer is equally appreciated by WeaponX.

As many horror stories we hear about shops, I bet the horror stories about customers are 10x more common, if shops would share (but they don’t, as is the professional approach).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Yes I’m sure there are many of the customer horror stories, being involved in this hobby for almost 30years and dealing with several shops gives me a good understanding of what’s going on. And some times patience is necessary when others it truly may be the shops fault.

Car is a beast for sure and Weapon X shop sounds top notch! Ben and his wife are good people and offer great products and customer service to this community. Can't wait to see if on kill at Atco in January DA. :D
Thank you, yes some mineshaft DA will be interesting for sure!!! I’ll be there or at MIR in the fall.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a beast. Way to make a bad situation turn out spectacular. When are you posting some videos?
I personally don’t have any yet. I believe Weapon X has some maybe if they see this they will post something or it may be on their Facebook page.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Nice times! Is this a record for the V3?

At first I saw Secondary Port Injection and I was like wtf is this, A bmw? and then I saw it was V3 with that pesky Direct Injection.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice times! Is this a record for the V3?

At first I saw Secondary Port Injection and I was like wtf is this, A bmw? and then I saw it was V3 with that pesky Direct Injection.
It’s the record today... lol. And it may hold the blower only record for a bit longer, but there is a pro charged V3 with nitrous out there.

·
I'm Your Pusher
11,321 Posts
As many of us have said when we have bought another car... " I not going to go crazy with this one". This seriously was not my intention with this car. Unfortunate circumstances of my own stupidity put me in this position as I left water in my intercooler system and had it transported in the freezing cold weather to Weapon X for what we planned to be a low side fuel kit. My transported tells me boy she doesn't like the cold, she had a hard time starting when I went to take her of the truck. ( Mind you I don't call my car HER ) his words. It was a that point I remembered I left water in the car. I called Ben at Weapon X immediately and told him of my mistake and concern.

As with every car they get a baseline dyno on, they do a compression check prior to strapping it down. The bad news followed. Two bent rods. I guess water doesn't compress very well. LOL

So now I have some choices. HMMM what to do. At that point there was only the 2.3 edlebrock available as an upgrade, and the Whipple was still under development. Do I just drop a couple of rods in it and hope for the best, do I build a nitrous motor and stick with the 1.7, twin turbo 427 build?

We settled on a full build capable of 1500 HP with hopes of the Whipple being ready by the time we got the engine back. The build is a 388.

Fast forward to May of 2017 the car is completed, I head out to Weapon X to do some track verification with the car before heading home with it. I arrive at the shop and they are doing some finishing touches and some last minute tuning. There were a couple of small things that Blake ( Bens business partner) said that I may want to do at a later date for preventive reasons, and I agreed. I hung out for the day as they finished tuning the car ended up at 910 HP. Great!!!

We head to the track despite a forecast of showers, one of Blakes concerns was one of the plastic idler pulleys, and that I should replace it with a steel one, they had one a the shop but not a belt that would work. Well low and behold after two pass attempts at the track the plastic pulley explodes. Well our day is over. At some point a Fed X truck had shown up to the track with a package for Blake. Blake pulls a pulley out of his bag of tools, and opens the Fed X box. BOOM a belt. Talk about customer service and preparing for the worst. That made my day. We get the pulley on and off we go, NOPE here comes the rain Track shuts down. Ben tells me let me know when your heading to a track at home and Ill send you track support ( mechanic and tuner).
Awesome!! Again to me going above and beyond with the customer service.

So I head to Atco, Ben flys my track support in. Crappy hot ass June day. I make a pass at the 1000' mark or so car goes into REP mode. ETC safety shut down. This happens repeatedly. No code nothing just a message. We reach out to many people no one has heard of it. And it has never happened on the street and I had several WOT pulls from 2nd gear through 6th in excess of 150 mph prior to this with no issues. I decide to short shift the car at 5K finally i make a full pass at 10.1 @ 142. Pretty good for short shifting but no acceptable. The day is over.

I never made it back to the track and could never figure out what that message was. It finally happened once on the street later in the fall.

I send the car back to Weapon X to do a direct port meth install and get ready for the Cadillac Attack, and do a once over on the car. Bens engineer at Weapon X decide to see if they can get their SPI( Secondary Port Injection) kit to work with the Whipple Blower. Success. So no more meth addiction for me. Im a recovering addict now. Able to run on full pump E85. And we picked up more power. WIN WIN

Ill skip the details on Orlando as I discussed them in another thread here.

Off to Ohio this past weekend for some track validation.... again. First successful pass 9.8 then 9.7, 9.6 and finally a 9.5 @ 146!! There is still more in the car easily will see a 9.3 at 148.

I can't express the level of customer service that Ben, Blake and the entire crew at Weapon X have given me through this past year. I have seen friends have work performed at many other shops across the country. And have never seen customer service at this level. The level of detail given to the car and the communication between myself and the shop were unparalleled to anything I have experienced in the past.
Thanks for the kind words Michael! Sunday ended up being quite epic for sure. We have certainly learned a lot and there is certainly a lot left in the car. It leaves out of the hole like it's possessed and to think you haven't even left hard yet is amazing. Drop the 60 down in the 1.3s and lean it out into the 12s and I don't see a problem with 9.3s or better!

E85 on the gen 5 cars making big power is not really possible with just a DI system, and the larger replacement DI pump and injectors are $5-6k and you still need a low side and even then I have yet to see a 1000whp PD blower car. If you look at some of the marketing on what's available, they're running turbos on the engine dyno with MS109 which has a much lower fuel demand.

The port injected Whipple

Check out those tires ;)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
It’s the record today... lol. And it may hold the blower only record for a bit longer, but there is a pro charged V3 with nitrous out there.
Congrats!

There is also a guy on here who is "building" a TT V3 but it looks a whole lot like a SEMA show car so probably will never go fast lol.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
That’s awesome, congrats man! Love the tire wrinkle!

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Michael! Sunday ended up being quite epic for sure. We have certainly learned a lot and there is certainly a lot left in the car. It leaves out of the hole like it's possessed and to think you haven't even left hard yet is amazing. Drop the 60 down in the 1.3s and lean it out into the 12s and I don't see a problem with 9.3s or better!

E85 on the gen 5 cars making big power is not really possible with just a DI system, and the larger replacement DI pump and injectors are $5-6k and you still need a low side and even then I have yet to see a 1000whp PD blower car. If you look at some of the marketing on what's available, they're running turbos on the engine dyno with MS109 which has a much lower fuel demand.

The port injected Whipple

Check out those tires ;)

Tire wrinkle is badass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I'm Your Pusher
11,321 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
I guess Kil Kare takes care of you when it's a private rental...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts