Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been reading through tons of tire threads on the forum and the problem is sometimes the threads are 5-9 years old and the tires mentioned arent even available anymore or the threads delve off into talking about offsets and various aftermarket rims. Will a 305/35/19 MT ET Street SS fit on the back of a stock ride height and rim 2011 CTSV sedan? And is this still the consensus best radial if straight line grip on the street is what you're after? I was originall leaning heavily towards Toyo R888Rs until I read about the MTs. Also do sedans in general have more or less clearance than a coupe when it comes to tires? I see a lot of discussion about this but cant tell which has the advantage in that department.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
305 will bulge on a stock sedan rim. You'd be better off with a 285 in the ET Street.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Also do sedans in general have more or less clearance than a coupe when it comes to tires? I see a lot of discussion about this but cant tell which has the advantage in that department.
Coupe has wider rear wheels and can mount a wider tire.

·
Dick Pickles
5,972 Posts
I have had the 305/35/19 MT ET S/S on my wagon for about 6 years now. The wagon is not a DD, but I still drive it when I can. I’ve driven in all conditions (except ice and snow) with them, and they are fine as long as you know their limitations; i.e., don’t get crazy in the rain. But for dry traction, you can’t beat them. Below is a picture of the tires on my stock wheels. Their bulge is minimal, if any. Stock right height on all four corners and zero rubbing, ever.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the 305/35/19 MT ET S/S on my wagon for about 6 years now. The wagon is not a DD, but I still drive it when I can. I’ve driven in all conditions (except ice and snow) with them, and they are fine as long as you know their limitations; i.e., don’t get crazy in the rain. But for dry traction, you can’t beat them. Below is a picture of the tires on my stock wheels. Their bulge is minimal, if any. Stock right height on all four corners and zero rubbing, ever.
View attachment 150312
Wagon and sedan have the same wheels? And how much life do you get out if a set?

·
Dick Pickles
5,972 Posts
Wagon and sedan have the same wheels? And how much life do you get out if a set?
They do have the same size wheels. Coupes are wider by 1 inch. Life of the tire will really depend on driving style, track visits and road conditions. I think I’m at about 3k miles on mine, with plenty of life left, but I don’t drive the car often. I do romp on it when I do though. Lack of track openings during Covid has contributed to their life as well. They are a very soft compound, and will not last as long as pretty much all other DRs, but you cannot deny the traction they provide in dry conditions.(y)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They do have the same size wheels. Coupes are wider by 1 inch. Life of the tire will really depend on driving style, track visits and road conditions. I think I’m at about 3k miles on mine, with plenty of life left, but I don’t drive the car often. I do romp on it when I do though. Lack of track openings during Covid has contributed to their life as well. They are a very soft compound, and will not last as long as pretty much all other DRs, but you cannot deny the traction they provide in dry conditions.(y)
Thanks a bunch! Honestly I'd be happy with 5-6k out of them but I know that might be in the high end for such a soft compound tire. More than a set a year is too much for me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have a set on my coupe and have gotten 6k miles out of them but they are reaching end of life. I would say their good for 4-5 more trips to the track or another 1k miles of regular street driving before I have to replace them.

Keep in mind what prdnme said, because I too didn't see much track time in 2020 due to Covid. Had I seen more track time (I average 12 trips per year) I'm sure I would have replaced them at or near 5k.

·
Premium Member
13,451 Posts
once those tires get over a year or 2 old you really need to inspect the inner sidewall carefully for cracks
I was shocked how bad mine looked on the inner while the outer looked perfect.

It’s no secret, it’s all over the internet.
you see the outer sidewall and figure ”damn this tire looks good”

what lurks beneath is where the ugliness lies. Check your tires and don’t expect too long out of them.
if you are lucky you smoke them so Often it’s not an issue. If you daily drive and want that drag tire don’t expect more than 2 seasons out of them

View attachment 143578

View attachment 143579

·
Premium Member
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
2,598 Posts
View attachment 150312
Those dumbbells look too clean. Get back to it!
Nice looking car and garage setup.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just bought the Mickey Thompson’s ss to replace my junk toyo r888, does anyone have a problem keeping them on your car in cold weather without any problems dry rot etc???

·
Dick Pickles
5,972 Posts
Those dumbbells look too clean. Get back to it!
Nice looking car and garage setup.

Lol! I had just done some spring cleaning actually. Ignore the mats, they need to be mopped.
The rest of the setup:
Automotive tail & brake light Barrel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Lol! I had just done some spring cleaning actually. Ignore the mats, they need to be mopped.
The rest of the setup:
View attachment 150329
Very nice. Not many people own a rowing machine. Much more effective than an elliptical.
#jealous

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
I was literally just here to ask: what kind of rowing machine? :D

I am in the market for one!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
You may be able to buy one from any of your local gyms that have gone out of business.
I have had better luck just buying used equipment from discerning individuals. The gym liquidators always seem to overprice their shit because "commercial quality."

It ignores the decades of crack-sweat and ball sack contamination for a premium price. I feel like it's marrying a 40 year old whore and giving her a 10 carat engagement ring....

·
Dick Pickles
5,972 Posts
I was literally just here to ask: what kind of rowing machine? :D

I am in the market for one!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Lol!! Concept2. Only way to go.

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I have had better luck just buying used equipment from discerning individuals. The gym liquidators always seem to overprice their shit because "commercial quality."

It ignores the decades of crack-sweat and ball sack contamination for a premium price. I feel like it's marrying a 40 year old whore and giving her a 10 carat engagement ring....
You have a real way with words, Jesse. Your Valentine’s cards to your wife have to be gold.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've heard the 305s MTs have more sway above 70mph than the 285s do (at least on sedan rims). I'm actually replacing a set of 285s MTs with another right now. Lasted 8k miles/2 years of me beating the crap of them and driving them on dirt roads lol. I wouldn't risk the 305s with the aforementioned swaying, but maybe @prdnme can shed some light on that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
All DR’s sway. No where near the lateral stability of a street tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: random84 and prdnme
1 - 20 of 33 Posts