Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting tired of the Toyo A/S rubber my 2017 V came with, playful as it's really easy to spin up the rear in 1st or 2nd but the lack of grip, handling, poor front end feel I'm ready to back to real tires. I drive the V around 7500 miles per year and will order 275f and 305 r rubber, typically been using the Pilot 4s but I can get Sport Cup 2 for the same price. Worth it for a street car, stock power?

·
Registered
2012 Bad FN V
139 Posts
I like my sport cup 2 running around 700 to the wheels and they hook just fine when warmed up cornering is great too alot better then then Mickey Thompson street radials I had on before

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
if they are the same price I would go cup 2s as they will have better dry grip.
The Cup2's will be a lot more and will last a quarter of the distance.....probably less

·
Autism Speaks. Listen
1,283 Posts
Cup2’s aren’t going to be night/day difference in straight line grip, lateral yes. but if maximal forward grip is wanted r888r is the ticket.

Reactions: m13s

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
So if I get around 18k from a set of 4s rubber, under 6k from the Cup2s?
If you drive like one of my brothers and his V, you'll get under 9000 miles out of the Continentals.....I was just using him as a benchmark in my calcs. YMMV, literally. 😄

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quick question for the OP. How was your experience with a Toyo all season tire?, performance issues aside. Like normal daily driving in colder weather. Reason I ask is not a lot of options and no one else has commented on them with real experience on the forum yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone seen a post on this Q?:

how many miles V owners got on original factory tires?
specifically on V years: 2011 wagon, 2016 and 2019 sedans
or threads about V factory tire life or issues..

If so, please post link - TIA

I ask because my 2019 ate the first front set at 5,600k miles..
Now, just 12k miles later on the 2nd set stock replacements I need new ones again
Making this my 3rd set of fronts in less than 3 years…

Rears made it about 8-9k miles on first set… so guessing probably have another 1-2k on rear

Neither of my 2 previous V’s were this rubber hungry … (bad factory alignment is blame on first set of fronts on the 2019 replaced @ 5600)
dealer covered only 1 tire because “One could last a few more miles”

*all mine daily street driven

V Nice thx

·
Registered
23 Posts
My V’s first set of Super Sports were replaced at 31k, according to the Carfax. Not sure how much I believe it but it’s a nice thought that he previous owner babied it!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick question for the OP. How was your experience with a Toyo all season tire?, performance issues aside. Like normal daily driving in colder weather. Reason I ask is not a lot of options and no one else has commented on them with real experience on the forum yet.
First of all, I live in South Florida so Pilot 4S is my winter tire choice. The Toyo AS rubber seems to offer excellent braking in the wet and dry but otherwise rather poor feel and feedback, decent but numb cornering, poor grip at the rear, can spin in 1st or 2nd in the dry. Wet cornering and acceleration grip is defiantly below the Michelin Pilot 4s. I'm going to Deal's Gap in October, the Toyo will get retired long before they wear out. I'll probably keep the tires as I flip cars pretty often, this is my 3rd V for example, a 2016 & 2017 ATS-V and now this 2017 CTS-V

·
Registered
393 Posts
Cup 2's rattle your balls. Great on my track car, I would never run them on the street if I wanted a streetable ride. Corvette's come with CUP2's and many guys sell them off cheap.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,842 Posts
Cup 2's rattle your balls. Great on my track car, I would never run them on the street if I wanted a streetable ride. Corvette's come with CUP2's and many guys sell them off cheap.
Interesting info. I've never run the Cup 2's but I've had them on my mind to try. I've read about grip and mileage but no one has addressed ride harshness. Is that what you mean?
Are they also noisy? (I don't think I could stand the racket of 888s)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Interesting info. I've never run the Cup 2's but I've had them on my mind to try. I've read about grip and mileage but no one has addressed ride harshness. Is that what you mean?
Are they also noisy? (I don't think I could stand the racket of 888s)
I love them on the track, I hate them on the street !!!!!!! Road noise, harsh ride. There is no middle ground, it's a legal track tire, because it has thread. My wife won't ride in my Corvette.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
637 Posts
If you drive like one of my brothers and his V, you'll get under 9000 miles out of the Continentals.....I was just using him as a benchmark in my calcs. YMMV, literally. 😄
What does your brother think of Conti's Extreme Contact? They got GREAT ultra-summer wet/dry ratings. Are they noisy? Grip?

i'm running Toyo R888R's now, and while they are flypaper tacky, they're loud as HELL, and SUCK in the wet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts