Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would my experience in case others order the Mevotech lower control arms. I ordered mine from Rock Auto

I'm installing new front mag ride shocks and Creative Steel urethane bushings. Bought new lower control arms as I was pretty rough with one ball joint trying to get it separated.

Rock Auto was out of one side for AC Delco, so I ordered the Mevotech as every review on here and other sites were all positive. Arms looked good out of the box. It wasn't until I had them on the car and trying to install the vertical arm that connects the upper and lower that I realized the end of the Mevotech wasn't shaped right. The way the arm goes into the vertical arm is pretty tight, and for some reason the Mevotechs weren't shaped, or the mold was funky, or whatever, but they hit.

This is the factory arm (it's got the nasty fluid from the leaking mag ride shock all over it). Notice the distance and shape near the end, around the ball joint. It's about 1/4" to the point where it starts to roll and about 1/2" to the full outer circumference. It's hard to see here but these even had rubbed slightly as noted by the mark on the outer side. There isn't much clearance here.

Automotive tire Sleeve Grey Bicycle part Synthetic rubber
Material property Font Gas Electric blue Tints and shades
Blue Bicycle part Bumper Material property Rim

Here are the Mevotechs out of the box. Note they are the wrong shape, but in different ways on each arm. The first one is just too wide and not even. The second looks like it was half ass machined.

Drinkware Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

The too wide and bulbous one...note the profile is basically opposite than what is needed.

Font Gas Tape measure Measuring instrument Office ruler
Line Gas Wood Glass Tints and shades

This concerned me that maybe some other measurements of the arm weren't right. Checked and double checked against the factory ones, and they look fine. It's like they forgot to machine this outer portion, or their molds aren't right. Since I already had the urethane bushings in, and them all bolted to the car. Plus, I'm tired of this thing not being on the road, I chose to fix them and keep going.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT recommending anyone do the following, it's just info and I"m not endorsing anything or liable for any life choices you make.

A few minutes with a grinder to fix the shape and things are going to be fine.....

Audio equipment Gas Loudspeaker Circle Gadget
Bicycle part Gas Rim Nickel Crankset
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

I may need to tighten up the front edge (edge to the left in pic) but the initial test seemed good. I'll double check tomorrow once I tighten everything up.

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
1,365 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the modification. Like you said, and showed, they are already beefier than the stock pieces where you modified them. That's odd though.

Did someone get the ONE arm and try to modify it, and then send it back?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha! Didn't think about that. It looks machined though so they would have better tools than I do to cut it so straight.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I swapped in mevotech lower arms when I did my suspension overhaul last summer but didn't notice any differences. Now you got me interested since I still have my OEM lowers kicking around.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing most must get legit shaped ones or we'd here more about it cause there isn't any way this would work without reshaping them. Maybe I just got a funky set.

Just wanted to share so someone else had all the facts....or at the very least looked carefully at them so they knew BEFORE they were on the car and could reshape or send back.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan WDT
1,782 Posts
Probably should have sent those back. If those are out of tolerance it could cause alignment issues which in turn will lead to parts wearing out prematurely and adding to the bill to get it all back in spec.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm doing the alignment. If I can't get it into spec I'll figure out plan B. I check all measurements and they are the same as the oem ones from everything I can tell.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to follow up with this.

Arms worked great. Everything aligned perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the RockAuto Mevotech arms just check your clearances before you button it all up.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
2011 CTSV Coupe M BLK LSX376-B15
922 Posts
I thought I would my experience in case others order the Mevotech lower control arms. I ordered mine from Rock Auto

I'm installing new front mag ride shocks and Creative Steel urethane bushings. Bought new lower control arms as I was pretty rough with one ball joint trying to get it separated.

Rock Auto was out of one side for AC Delco, so I ordered the Mevotech as every review on here and other sites were all positive. Arms looked good out of the box. It wasn't until I had them on the car and trying to install the vertical arm that connects the upper and lower that I realized the end of the Mevotech wasn't shaped right. The way the arm goes into the vertical arm is pretty tight, and for some reason the Mevotechs weren't shaped, or the mold was funky, or whatever, but they hit.

This is the factory arm (it's got the nasty fluid from the leaking mag ride shock all over it). Notice the distance and shape near the end, around the ball joint. It's about 1/4" to the point where it starts to roll and about 1/2" to the full outer circumference. It's hard to see here but these even had rubbed slightly as noted by the mark on the outer side. There isn't much clearance here.

View attachment 156131 View attachment 156132 View attachment 156133

Here are the Mevotechs out of the box. Note they are the wrong shape, but in different ways on each arm. The first one is just too wide and not even. The second looks like it was half ass machined.

View attachment 156134 View attachment 156135

The too wide and bulbous one...note the profile is basically opposite than what is needed.

View attachment 156136 View attachment 156137

This concerned me that maybe some other measurements of the arm weren't right. Checked and double checked against the factory ones, and they look fine. It's like they forgot to machine this outer portion, or their molds aren't right. Since I already had the urethane bushings in, and them all bolted to the car. Plus, I'm tired of this thing not being on the road, I chose to fix them and keep going.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT recommending anyone do the following, it's just info and I"m not endorsing anything or liable for any life choices you make.

A few minutes with a grinder to fix the shape and things are going to be fine.....

View attachment 156138 View attachment 156139 View attachment 156141

I may need to tighten up the front edge (edge to the left in pic) but the initial test seemed good. I'll double check tomorrow once I tighten everything up.
Thanks for sharing, I'll make a note. My drivers side needs to be replaced at some point.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I forgot to follow up with this.

Arms worked great. Everything aligned perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the RockAuto Mevotech arms just check your clearances before you button it all up.
Received one of the Mevotech LCA today, see attached images. What are your thoughts based on experience comparison measurements, appears I may need to trim also? In addition, I don't have the stock removed yet, curious to see the bushing compared to stock, any images? ty
Hand Kitchen utensil Finger Tool Rim
Magnifying glass Kitchen utensil Magnifier Steering wheel Drinkware
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Crankset
Font Rectangle Electric blue Electronic device Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Hand Finger Kitchen utensil Circle Auto part

·
Registered
922 Posts
Automotive tire Sleeve Grey Synthetic rubber Line
Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Tire Automotive design

View attachment 156131 View attachment 156132 View attachment 156133

View attachment 156134 View attachment 156135

View attachment 156136 View attachment 156137

View attachment 156138 View attachment 156139 View attachment 156141

oldwestracing you wouldn't happen to have the measurements for the center to outer edge of the control arm trimmed area? (see attached images) Ty

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately I didn't keep any measurements except what you see above. My recommendation is to measure the distance on the factory arm, then scribe it around with a marker on the new one. Then start shaping it close. You don't have to go all the way, but you need it to be a closer shape as the original. if you look at the side profile of each you can see where the extra is.

I'd use a flappy disk on a grinder for rough cutting them some sandpaper to smooth it out. Get it close, then put the arms on the car (upper and lower), then set the the vertical arm in (don't torque, just set it in) Just use it to move it around in the circumference and see how it clears. I made sure it had clearance at all possible angles, circumference. Turned out fine. The arms themselves are spot on for all other dimensions. It's just this outer part that isn't right.

Reactions: Rubber Duck

·
Registered
922 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't keep any measurements except what you see above. My recommendation is to measure the distance on the factory arm, then scribe it around with a marker on the new one. Then start shaping it close. You don't have to go all the way, but you need it to be a closer shape as the original. if you look at the side profile of each you can see where the extra is.

I'd use a flappy disk on a grinder for rough cutting them some sandpaper to smooth it out. Get it close, then put the arms on the car (upper and lower), then set the the vertical arm in (don't torque, just set it in) Just use it to move it around in the circumference and see how it clears. I made sure it had clearance at all possible angles, circumference. Turned out fine. The arms themselves are spot on for all other dimensions. It's just this outer part that isn't right.
Thanks, I'm waiting on other parts and wanted to shape these ahead of time, don't have access to measure the currently installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.