Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed a metal squeak when I put the vehicle in park and the vehicle rolls a bit before stopping fully. Has anyone experienced this and know how to remedy?

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts

it is your parking pawl finding the next hole to lock the car in park. If you are parking on an incline set the parking brake before you put the car in park. I have even seen a car torque lock when put in park on a incline (hill) where the car had to be pushed to get the parking pawl to release.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

it is your parking pawl finding the next hole to lock the car in park. If you are parking on an incline set the parking brake before you put the car in park. I have even seen a car torque lock when put in park on a incline (hill) where the car had to be pushed to get the parking pawl to release.
I'm not sure it's that anymore, as I hear the same exact squeak when the drivetrain is loaded/unloaded at low speeds. Like if I put in reverse from drive, or I decelerate at a low speed. I am wondering if it's related to a driveline component.

·
Registered
868 Posts
When you say metal noise, have you checked for a hung up brake pad? Besides that I'd be looking at all the rubbers. UCA, LCA, driveshaft.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say metal noise, have you checked for a hung up brake pad? Besides that I'd be looking at all the rubbers. UCA, LCA, driveshaft.
It almost sounds like a driveshaft to me, I haven't quite had the chance to get up under there enough to look. I take it the driveshaft is not greasable?

·
Registered
868 Posts
No, it's sealed. They're not u joints either though so I don't think it'd be a metallic sound. Have you tried tightening the front cradle bolts? There was a thread a few weeks ago detailing the torque specs and such, gives a metal ping sound going from gear to gear or braking.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it's sealed. They're not u joints either though so I don't think it'd be a metallic sound. Have you tried tightening the front cradle bolts? There was a thread a few weeks ago detailing the torque specs and such, gives a metal ping sound going from gear to gear or braking.
It's not really a ping, I'll try to get a video of it and report back

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm not sure what he's referring to with driveshaft linkage, but if he means any of the CV joints on the driveshaft, unless you have a driveshaft shop that wants to go above and beyond for you, you'd have to buy a whole new shaft.

Id say try and get a good video of the sound.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure what he's referring to with driveshaft linkage, but if he means any of the CV joints on the driveshaft, unless you have a driveshaft shop that wants to go above and beyond for you, you'd have to buy a whole new shaft.

Id say try and get a good video of the sound.
So I washed the car today and the rotors look all rusty afterwards, the usual. So I notice the squeak when I let off and apply the brakes very lightly. After some light braking I got on them hard a few times.. pretty sure it's the brakes. Hoping giving them some "love" will fix it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A lot of times on brakes like these cleaning up the pad pins and adding some good caliper grease solves a lot of issues. Plus with the wheel off it takes about 5 mins.
Okay I got some videos. I hope this isn't the diff or something.
Just going from R to D in the garage

driving at low speeds it's very apparent:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No it definitely sounds like it's coming from a wheel, have you checked the dust covers on the back of the rotors?
I'll have to jack up the vehicle and get under there and start moving the wheels to pinpoint it. It definitely does have a thin metal sound to it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just spin every wheel one at a time, by the video that's what my money is on. When you find it just tune up the backing plate with a long flathead

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just spin every wheel one at a time, by the video that's what my money is on. When you find it just tune up the backing plate with a long flathead
It seems to go it more when there is a load/unloading of the drivetrain. I can reproduce it with the car off and moving the tire back and forth. Once it gets to the end of its "roll" before it binds up, that's when I get that creaking.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Sounds like its wheel to me as well. Do you drive down dusty roads at all? I ask because I've had the same issue on my truck before. Somehow tiny rocks/debris got in between my pads and rotors and produced a similar sound. Any scoring on your rotors?

I'd pull the wheel/s that are making the most noise, and check the pads.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like its wheel to me as well. Do you drive down dusty roads at all? I ask because I've had the same issue on my truck before. Somehow tiny rocks/debris got in between my pads and rotors and produced a similar sound. Any scoring on your rotors?

I'd pull the wheel/s that are making the most noise, and check the pads.
I just got it a few months ago, it's an Arizona vehicle. I remember one day after washing the car, I bumped the rear corner of the bumper and a bunch of small pebbles fell out. I will check tonight if I have time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like the noise is echoing off the driveshaft tube. I'm not sure where to go from here other than checking torque on the driveshaft bolts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts