Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just a lot people are running 25k and his site says 23k if u spin it faster how fast will it die. Or will it just blow heat

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Full speed with the right engine combo.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In my opinion if your going to run over 25,000 rpm get it refreshed often. Rebuild fresh oil that sort of thing will keep it from
Eating itself. It's like anything else. Keep it fresh and it will last a long time. Remember stock blowers where made to go 200,000 once you double or triple the speed of that blower the items inside break down at 2x 3x and some case 4x the usual amount. Don't rebuild the blower and say your invincible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
13,085 Posts
In my opinion if your going to run over 25,000 rpm get it refreshed often. Rebuild fresh oil that sort of thing will keep it from
Eating itself. It's like anything else. Keep it fresh and it will last a long time. Remember stock blowers where made to go 200,000 once you double or triple the speed of that blower the items inside break down at 2x 3x and some case 4x the usual amount. Don't rebuild the blower and say your invincible

Good advice

·
Registered
625 Posts

At the risk of injecting some simple math into this discussion, stock blower speed (8.0/[email protected]) is 16,800 rpm, so even at 'only' double that, it would be spinning 33,600 rpm...so with a 2.5" upper you'd need about a 13.5" lower to attain that speed!!!

So getting back to real numbers, even with a 9.5/2.5 and 6800 rpm you're 'only' doing 25,800 rpm or roughly 54% faster than stock, not "double or triple". I'm NOT saying maintenance of the blower is unnecessary, just saying some perspective on the real numbers might be a reasonable thing to consider.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Vendor
13,085 Posts
At the risk of injecting some simple math into this discussion, stock blower speed (8.0/[email protected]) is 16,800 rpm, so even at 'only' double that, it would be spinning 33,600 rpm...so with a 2.5" upper you'd need about a 13.5" lower to attain that speed!!!

So getting back to real numbers, even with a 9.5/2.5 and 6800 rpm you're 'only' doing 25,800 rpm or roughly 54% faster than stock, not "double or triple". I'm NOT saying maintenance of the blower is unnecessary, just saying some perspective on the real numbers might be a reasonable thing to consider.

Cheers, Paul.
Regardless of the actual percentage of overdrive the bearings do not appreciate being spun past 23,000 rpm and need to be serviced much more frequently if they are.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Cheers, Paul.

Stock blowers on lightnings break down there snout bearings with oil at 70,000 miles. Increase the bearing rpm on those things by 5,000 Rpms by adding pulley . I have seen them break down in less the 10,000 miles. So yes x3 and x4 is not out of hand depending on how you run your car. If you street drive with a normal foot it will last longer. If every weekend your running wot runs or roll racing. Expect it to not last to long. So yes I meant what I said.

I back this up with 6 years of customers coming back for work and maintenance.

So I guess I worded my statement up top wrong. I apologize

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
Lots of variables.

A 2.5/9.1 combo with 100% stock exhaust. stock heads, stock cam, will create a ton of heat and a ton of pressure.

Now if you have headers, full exhaust, worked heads, nice cam, trunk tank and that same pulley combo, you may see 5-6 less pounds of boost, +150 more HP, and IATs could be totally under control at all times.

Its really all about the big picture and finding a happy medium between power and keeping IATs under control.

Plenty of people overspin the hell out of the blower but of course, expect reduced life

·
Registered
706 Posts

Cheers, Paul.
My guess would be that Jokerz was speaking in rough terms simply to make a point. The actuality is most likely that the relationship between blower RPM and the life of it's internal components is not a linear one. For example, increasing the blower RPM by only 15% may reduce the total life of the assembly/internals by 30% or more. Without some data collection nobody, could really say with any accuracy what that RPM vs. Life Expectancy curve would look like. It'd certainly be an interesting thing to see though!

Reactions: Wrecked Em

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
My guess would be that Jokerz was speaking in rough terms simply to make a point. The actuality is most likely that the relationship between blower RPM and the life of it's internal components is not a linear one. For example, increasing the blower RPM by only 15% may reduce the total life of the assembly/internals by 30% or more. Without some data collection nobody, could really say with any accuracy what that RPM vs. Life Expectancy curve would look like. It'd certainly be an interesting thing to see though!
This. Theres no way its linear.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have posted my combo with alot of discussion. It is 10.5 lower and 2.5 upper. I do have ls9 cam headers trunk tank. I have been running this combo for 6 months or so several track rents and Orlando 16. I am sure the life of blower may be effected, but reabuild seems inexpensive. I know its not for everyone. I have been satisfied with performance. I have personal best 10.41 at 132. I plan on going to flex fuel when Jeremy comes back to PA.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm starting a data base for this. I can tell you it's going to drastically lower then most oil based bearings. Adding oil to bearings gives them an additional 5000 Rpms before they peak. With sealed grease bearings it's not as efficient as the oil ones because they sling and when they get hot they sling the grease.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Stock blowers on lightnings break down there snout bearings with oil at 70,000 miles. Increase the bearing rpm on those things by 5,000 Rpms by adding pulley . I have seen them break down in less the 10,000 miles. So yes x3 and x4 is not out of hand depending on how you run your car. If you street drive with a normal foot it will last longer. If every weekend your running wot runs or roll racing. Expect it to not last to long. So yes I meant what I said.

I back this up with 6 years of customers coming back for work and maintenance.

So I guess I worded my statement up top wrong. I apologize

Well do did say, and I quote: "Remember stock blowers where made to go 200,000 once you double or triple the speed of that blower..." which to many would imply you were talking about speeds 200% to 300% faster than 16,800 rpm, so I thought it might be worth mentioning nobody actually runs the blower much more than 50% faster than stock. Now what that 'mere' 50% increase in speed does to longevity is another matter, and you appear to have some experience with this and some good recommendations on how to deal with the associated fall out, so thanks for that. I just like to keep the numbers straight :eek:

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I have posted my combo with alot of discussion. It is 10.5 lower and 2.5 upper. I do have ls9 cam headers trunk tank. I have been running this combo for 6 months or so several track rents and Orlando 16. I am sure the life of blower may be effected, but reabuild seems inexpensive. I know its not for everyone. I have been satisfied with performance. I have personal best 10.41 at 132. I plan on going to flex fuel when Jeremy comes back to PA.

Speaking of your combo, I thought I was involved in a discussion with you and a few others maybe about you running your car with that trunk tank ?

So that was the result of the trunk ice tank I assume? [email protected]?

Not much improvement but I guess conditions in Orlando werent that favorable.

Were IATs in check?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts