Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why but I can't find my last lost don't know if got deleted or not. I see the lsx376 and wondered if anyone has used this. I understand it's iron block and a bit heavier but seems like a better engine and can handle more. Opinions??

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
I don't know why but I can't find my last lost don't know if got deleted or not. I see the lsx376 and wondered if anyone has used this. I understand it's iron block and a bit heavier but seems like a better engine and can handle more. Opinions??
If your HP is over 700 wheel HP and you don't mind the extra weight, the iron block will be beneficial in better ring seal, more HP and less oil consumption with a higher over all power handling potential relative to the aluminum sleeved LS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The LSX 376 is more of a “mild” boosted engine at a very affordable price. The internals aren’t something I’d imagine most would throw 1000hp at. But would be a good start with a great platform to go for more at a later date.

I would however have them opened up and inspected prior. A mate purchased a crate LSX454. Didn’t last too long before it was chewing bearing.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
The LSX 376 is more of a “mild” boosted engine at a very affordable price. The internals aren’t something I’d imagine most would throw 1000hp at. But would be a good start with a great platform to go for more at a later date.

I would however have them opened up and inspected prior. A mate purchased a crate LSX454. Didn’t last too long before it was chewing bearing.
There are two (2) Iron Block lsX engines available.

One is the B-8, which is for low HP uses.
_Don't buy it as the bearings are absolute 'Crap'_

You are actually better off keeping your LSA Engine
if the boost is going to be ~15 psi on the _B-8.

The other engine is the _lsX Iron Block _B-15.
It is warranted for 900 HP and many are using
it up to HP levels of 1500 fwHP.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
There are two (2) Iron Block lsX engine available.

One is the B-8, which is for low HP uses.
_Don't buy it as the bearings are absolute 'Crap'_

You are actually better off keeping your LSA Engine
if the boost is going to be ~15 psi.

The other engine is the lsX B-15.
It is warranted for 900 HP and many are using
it up to HP levels of 1500 fwHP.

Cheers
Ahh interesting. I’ve only seen the B-8 here in Aust. They are like $7500 for a long motor.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Ahh interesting. I’ve only seen the B-8 here in Aust. They are like $7500 for a long motor.
Well, that's okay as your a multi millionaire according to what I have been told..:cool:

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I'm gonna pass on that cashew butter the wife bought this week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Realistically I'm not going to go crazy with it. Since my lsa is shot I was looking at all options since I need a complete motor. I Will probably run at most 12-14psi from the lsa blower. I just didn't know if the 8 would be sufficient or go for the b15 and swap it in. Has anyone used either or? Lsa r just hard to find priced reasonable

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
Realistically I'm not going to go crazy with it. Since my lsa is shot I was looking at all options since I need a complete motor. I Will probably run at most 12-14psi from the lsa blower. I just didn't know if the 8 would be sufficient or go for the b15 and swap it in. Has anyone used either or? Lsa r just hard to find priced reasonable
I know of a few that run the B15 with zero issues, under 800 rwhp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Please, do yourself a favor and make believe the B8 doesn't even exist.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
I know of a few that run the B15 with zero issues, under 800 rwhp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would purchase the lsX block separately, then put the correct parts in it
and the engine is good for well over the 800 hp.

If the correct parts are used, and detonation is nonexistent,
the lsX Iron Block can be used easily to 1200 hp.

However, with our little blowers and E85, I think your
800 hp is a good 'Safe' number, maybe up to 850 hp to 900 hp.

I know someone who has a warehouse full lsX iron blocks,
as well as all Dart stuff.

I think I will give him a call and see what he has to say about this.

Cheers,
Bruce

·
Vendor
12,884 Posts

Cheers,
Bruce
I would agree with just buying an LSX block if that is the way someone is looking to go and putting the right parts in it for the expected power level rather then even thinking about a B15. Most of the time I have seen a B15 used is when someone needs an engine within a few days to drop in.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

Cheers,
Bruce
I've had a lsx block on order all month seem like they are on national backorder.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
I've had a lsx block on order all month seem like they are on national backorder.
Russell,
Do you want me to see if he has one on the shelf?
If so, what were you told it was going to cost you?

With or without freight please?

Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More than likely I'm going to go with the lsx376b15 unless something else pops up on the meantime. Trying to stay at a budget and not wanting to wait a long time on getting something.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'm sure you can find an lsx somewhere. A lot of shops carry them. Just build it with your own set of internals and it should coe out to similar price than buying the assembled GM shortblock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts