Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my motor is needing about a QUART of oil every few hundred miles. what the heck? it doesn't seem down on power and doesn't blow any smoke and doesn't smell. valve guides? I'm lost. I've only had the car 3 months and keep finding things like this come up. but this i feel needs to be addressed. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The LS2 is notorious for drinking oil when revved up to higher RPMs. That's why the majority of the time the M6 cars are the ones that have issues. The motor just plain burns oil...it happens to all of them. MY brothers car runs stong and makes 450RWHP and it drinks oil as well...not as much as you but enough for him to check it regularly between changes.

Most LS2s consume oil but its very little,sometimes it can be a worrisome amount. Just do like what most guys with LS2a do and carry oil with you lol

But for you if your burning a QT every hundred miles or so i would defiantly say something is wrong. i would try to fill the oil up to the right amount and drive the car veryyyy easy and keep an eye on the level. IF your still bring a large amount i think a tear down is in order.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
post deleted

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I'd guess Rings, not guides. My Z06's blown LS6 uses a quart in about 500 miles. Admittedly, the Rings weren't designed for FI and they probably float a bit some times, but it's the Rings where I'm losing my oil.

Do the math on how much oil you burn in, say, 500 miles, if you burn a quart. Assume an average engine RPM of maybe 3K and an average speed of 50MPH.

It takes you 10 hours to drive and the engine turns 3K RPM * 60 Min/Hr * 10 Hr = 1.8M Rotations for that time/distance.

If you use a quart of oil in 500 miles, you leave 1/1.8M of a quart in the cylinders per engine cycle. If I did my conversion right, .5 cubic milliliters. Whether you're losing it all in one cylinder like from a valve stem seal, or more uniformly from the Rings, you're unlikely to see or smell it. My Corvette doesn't smoke or smell, either.

You don't say if your car is a Manual or Automatic. Mine (both the Z and the V) are Manuals. I like to run the gears, which means I'm downshifting a lot. That technique aggravates oil consumption.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aahhh okay i understand. yeah my car is a v1 so it is a manual and i drive the same way. i use the motor a lot. so its understandable. thanks guys for easing my worries a little. ill still need to get it taken care of but as urgently as i originally anticipated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts