Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had this issue? Normal driving oil pressure is good. As I approach a stop on the brakes it goes to zero. Oil is full. Replaced the sensor and the pigtail just to be sure. Engine never knocks. Running mobile one 5 30. When the engine is cold the issue is not as bad. Thinking I might try some 40 weight oil.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
Mobil one with aftermarket cam isn’t the best idea.

It seems the oil doesn’t take the additional pressure from the springs well, needs more zinc, or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Not to sound like a harbinger of doom, but this is not something to take lightly. If your oil pressure reading is accurate, zero pressure at idle usually indicates you have a problem. Throwing in a heavier weight oil is little more than a band-aid and will only prolong what might be coming. You could possibly have a cam bearing or main bearing problem. If it were me, I would have this checked out soon. And if it's real, how much it's going to cost to fix it will be directly proportional to how much further damage occurs.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Yup, stop driving till you find out why. Is it a faulty reading or a real problem

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
I hope you have a decent set of hand tools - and an engine hoist.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mobil one with aftermarket cam isn’t the best idea.

It seems the oil doesn’t take the additional pressure from the springs well, needs more zinc, or something like that.

Mobil 1 0w 40 is high in zinc 1000ppm and the 5w40 mobile turbo diesel oil has 1200ppm

·
Registered
806 Posts
Karch,
You are right about the regular ones that most people buy the blue cap and green cap they have little to no zinc.
My friend is having a issue whit his c63amg they have a tendency to wipe out cams if wrong oil is use because it has 4 flat tappet cams and requires a oil with high zinc. That's why MB uses the 0w 40. He thought he was doing the right thing using this oil liqui moly and it's a oil with no zinc and 2 years later 1300 in cams are making noise again.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Mobil 1 0w 40 is high in zinc 1000ppm and the 5w40 mobile turbo diesel oil has 1200ppm
OP said he was using M1 5w30 though. I don't think that has much zinc.

·
Registered
806 Posts
OP said he was using M1 5w30 though. I don't think that has much zinc.
I hear you, just I heard it used a general term that mobil 1 is bad for cams you just need to buy right one. Zddp has been removed from most oils because it makes cats fail.

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Karch,
You are right about the regular ones that most people buy the blue cap and green cap they have little to no zinc.
My friend is having a issue whit his c63amg they have a tendency to wipe out cams if wrong oil is use because it has 4 flat tappet cams and requires a oil with high zinc. That's why MB uses the 0w 40. He thought he was doing the right thing using this oil liqui moly and it's a oil with no zinc and 2 years later 1300 in cams are making noise again.
Its worth noting that largely - the ads that claim an oil has "little liquid ball bearings" and similar magical molecules is generally just that - marketing fluff.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Anyone have ideas as to what is changing dynamically during braking that would create OPs symptoms? If oil is indeed at the right level? Obviously oil is shifting relative to the pickup...Is the consensus that braking is unrelated and OP’s focus is incorrect?

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
Is it the braking/deceleration, or higher manifold vacuum that is causing the issue?

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
Anyone have ideas as to what is changing dynamically during braking that would create OPs symptoms? If oil is indeed at the right level? Obviously oil is shifting relative to the pickup...Is the consensus that braking is unrelated and OP’s focus is incorrect?

Is it the braking/deceleration, or higher manifold vacuum that is causing the issue?

Based on the incomplete description, I suspect it probably has very low psi at idle due to worn/spun bearings; he's just noticing it when coming to a stop while in the car with the dash display on. When he revs the engine, there's just enough volume (and rod movement on downstroke?) to compensate for the increased tolerances to give us a "normal" oil pressure... just as cold, more viscous oil will also mask it.

Of course, OP hasn't told us what "good" oil pressure is for him, and not hearing knock is inconclusive as these cars are very well insulated and each person's ear is tuned differently.

That's my best guess anyway (rod or crank bearing). Pull the filter and cut that bitch open to find the glitter hidden inside!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so its just odd that i just noticed this. i cut my filter apart every 2500 miles and dont see any extra or odd stuff in the media. the car has a new oil pump 5k miles ago. could the pickup really be coming uncovered?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts