Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
09 A6 sedan, kong ported blower, TSP custom cam, e85
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright I’m losing oil pressure, car starts out at about 21 psi at idle then drops all the way down till I get a low oil pressure warning. I switched out the sensor, same problem. Gonna start doing the work to replace the oil pump, cam plate and all gaskets and o rings. I don’t think I spun a cam bearing considering the mechanic put in a new cam right before the problems started or would you still be able to get a cam in if that happened???

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Pull your oil filter off and cut it open with an oil filter cutter. If you’ve driven it with low oil pressure it probably hurt bearings and the motor will need to come out.
It could be a cam bearing, but my money is on a pinched oil pickup o-ring.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Mechanic fucked up that install

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mechanic fucked up that install
That’s what I’m thinking. Originally took it in because I blew a lifter and it totally fucked the cam too

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
It isn't difficult to pinch the o ring. My friend @Florida-Vee had that happen to him.

Reactions: Florida-Vee

·
Registered
153 Posts
I second Mean Mike’s prognosis….sounds like a oil pump pickup o-ring was not installed correctly. I would cut my losses and find a new mechanic to correct the repair. Whatever you do, do not run the engine. Unbelievable that someone would give their customer their car back with little or no oil pressure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It wouldn’t hurt pulling the oil pan to look at the main and rod bearings, and oil pump pick up o-ring, and see how much debris is in the bottom of the pan. This would give you a better idea of what failed.

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
452 Posts
I think that's exactly what happened to mine. The previous owner lost a bunch of lifters, JUST replaced lifters on the chewed up cam. I got it, drove it under 500 miles and wiped out the main bearings. When I pulled it apart, 3 or 4 lifters had junk wheels, but 10+ cam lobes were chewed off.

If that stuff went through your oil system at all, it did a bunch of grinding apart bearings.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Pinched O-Ring for the win! But as everyone has stated the damage has been done.

Reactions: NastyV2

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yeah I don't understand how anyone gets broken metal in their engine/oiling system and doesn't do a full clean/refresh.

Once metal shavings get in the oil the engine is toast.

Reactions: NastyV2 and jcs003

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I don't understand how anyone gets broken metal in their engine/oiling system and doesn't do a full clean/refresh.

Once metal shavings get in the oil the engine is toast.
Did 2 oil changes this morning to see if I could find any debris, found no metal at all

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
Just be careful and don't do what I did with some tin snips. :oops:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Day1.jpg

·
Premium Member
310 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
Monica.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
You were drunk and trying to trim your fingernails with tin snips and missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, that would've been acceptable. Before I started thinking about the extensive mods I eventually ended up with, I thought that I was hearing the beginning of an engine tick. No one around me could hear it, but I convinced myself that it was there. Lol
I was due for an oil change, so I figured I'd open up the filter and see what's up.....

If you ever had an idea in your head that it would be a good idea NOT to wait for the proper tool to show up, I'm here to tell you unequivocally to GO HAVE A BEER AND WAIT FOR FEDEX TO DELIVER THE FUCKING TOOL.

A pair of leather gloves and a relatively new set of right-hand cut tin snips should do the trick, right??? By the time the oil-soaked glove lost grip 3/4 of the way around, the jagged edges left by the RH snips spun so quickly through the glove and my finger that I didn't even react. I was kind of an odd feeling to see dark oil with a secondary colour dripping from that hand, and by then, reality set in.

I let it freely bleed for a few minutes to wash out most of the oil before wrapping it up and heading to a walk-in clinic. The good news is that the oil filter was clear of glitter!

20160816_163436.jpg

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
No glitter is all that matters lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts