Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter will be driving to school next year and I’m thinking a hybrid is the way too go. Has anyone owned any hybrid vehicle? If so what brand? We test drove a Lexus ct200h yesterday and I thought it was pretty cool but I want to look at other makes and models before I spend 14k on a car.

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
Might want to look at a used Subaru Impreza.

I don’t know where you live, but they are AWD, very reliable, they hold their value, and make very good mpg, and cheap to maintain.

I know you mentioned Hybrid, but, personally, why?

Consider the annual costs of fuel, depreciation, insurance, etc.

If she’s like my son, at all, she won’t be driving a lot of miles, so the fuel savings isn’t that much.

In my case, I wanted him to get a used one, but battled my wife with how new it would be. A two year old model was only $2500 less than I was able to buy a new and completely updated one for.

Also, if she’s a new driver, insurance costs can be a shock (boys are 60% more than girls here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If you are looking at the Lexus ct200h just get the Prius. The Prius is basically better in every way except maybe interior quality but it is WAY more practical with more storage and seating room and less money.

I agree though, why do you need a hybrid for her? There is no way her commute distance will make the extra cost worth it and the battery is just another expensive thing to fail.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I do like the Volt. My coworker has one and the fact you can use it as plug in and it has a gas range extender makes it a lot more practical for the way I use my cars.

Also the new Prius Prime is the same type of thing and is great. 25 mile battery only range with 11 gallon tank on the gas range extender. My customer has a whole fleet of Plug in cars to use for work purposes and I like the Prime a lot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your question her commute is short but with gas prices steady rising I figured it wouldn’t be a bad purchase and at times we may drive it long distance to see family or take trips.

·
Registered
215 Posts
While we recently picked up a left-over volt, if you are looking at the economics it's best you really sit and look at intended use. If you cut the emotion out, you may fine it's not so much win. In my case, it's about 5.2c/mi for EV vs 11c/mi for the 24mpg it replaced. Of coarse that does not include depreciation etc.

And the days of free charge station is ending. Two in my area bragged about the free fill and now it's a subscription service.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the Volt is a better value than the Prius prime for me as if I'm going EV, the 53mi is far better than 25 something the prius offers. of coarse, 7.6 to 60 is light years ahead of 10.2 seconds - not that it matters.

caveat emptor

·
Super Moderator
16,521 Posts
Wife had a gen 1 volt, Solid car, had it 45k trouble free miles. Performed great for what it was.

Made sense when gas was $4+ per gallon.

When gas went back to $2 a gallon, she got a Silverado 4x4 and does not miss the Volt.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My daughter will be driving to school next year and I’m thinking a hybrid is the way too go. Has anyone owned any hybrid vehicle? If so what brand? We test drove a Lexus ct200h yesterday and I thought it was pretty cool but I want to look at other makes and models before I spend 14k on a car.
I’ve read the OP a few times now and I don’t see where he’s asking for financial advice. Can someone point it out for me please? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
It’s a complimentary option, like swirl marks with your carwash when you take your car in for service.

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
I’ve read the OP a few times now and I don’t see where he’s asking for financial advice. Can someone point it out for me please? Thanks
I know I'm an asshole - but usually in response to someone else. You, Sir, have a knack for spontaneously taking it to another level...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
No, no, no! You're not really an asshole - you're a good guy who's just often misunderstood! I even hear Unavowed talking all the time about your smooth skin and how sensitive you are to his feelings.

Thanks, Karch - I appreciate it!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I rented a Fusion Hybrid last week, averaging 40 mpg on the highway. Not sure how cheap the used ones are but it was really great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts