Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to go to Europe for a 3 year project. My question is what do I do with my cars?

From a mechanical sense how should it be stored?

I am also thinking what about insurance and registration, while in Europe I will need vehicles and don’t think the expense of maintaining that extra cost is viable. Should I sell them and buy new cars when I get back? I have three cars all paid for, 09 CTSV sedan, 12 CTS coupe, 98 F150. I would hate to get rid of them but not sure how to handle 3 years of storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
You could park them at my place and I will take good care of them for you. :)

Reactions: loweredd

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check out this guys build thread...

Reactions: Unavowed

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Three years? I would sell them and purchase upon my return.

Reactions: Karch

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Depends on how attached you are to your cars.

I know what I have. I would store them if it were me because I know I wouldn’t find what I have when I return.

As for insurance, you just need to carry comprehensive coverage which is pretty cheap.

You just need to figure out if what options you have for storage.

If you have to pay for it, it can get pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
Some insurance companies let you put cars in "withdrawn from use". Which is what I do in the winter. So to give you an idea of price, full coverage for my v is about 68 a month but in withdrawn from use it goes down to about 17.

If you can store inside I would plan on grabbing some plastic disposable car covers.

Pull the battery and either stick it on the bench... I wouldn't use a tender on something you're not going to be around obviously.

Get some rodent repellent spray from lowes... The stuff really works. I use this and throw some of those blocks of poison around.

A trick I learned from my engine builder... Get a couple rags and get them damp with some fresh oil... Ball them up and put them in the tail pipes. You can also stick one in the intake but not as important... This way, as the engine "breathes" with temp swings and such that air brings oil with it and stops cylinders and valves from getting corrosion. Probably not super important but it makes me feel better.

Stick a damp rid in the car, either the buckets or the little packets... Just in case.

I wouldn't worry much about the tires since 3 years is a decent amount of time and I don't think you're going to benefit from putting the cars on stands or whatever... But I would put some wd-40 on the rotors and stuff.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 20 year old boys also said they would take care of them while I was gone both fighting over the V, Worried about giving 22 year old boys 637 hp car.

I was thinking of selling, but I have the v modified to where I like it, I have had the truck since 2002 and know all its history. Not as much attached to the CTS coupe, but my wife is, think that would be the easiest to replace In 3 years.

Maybe selling and starting over isn’t as bad as it sounds?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Used market is crazy right now, prices are super high.

That said who knows what's gonna happen next.

You could come back in 3 years and not be able to buy a gas car lol.

Seriously though I wouldn't sell. It takes a long while to sort out a used car and that's worth something. Although I work on my stuff and get some kind of bond with them... Some would say I'm a car hoarder.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Obviously, not staring and running a car for more than a year is bad, no matter what the storage conditions.
In my own garage, I have done this with numerous cars: lots of desiccant inside the car, under a car cover, inside a car capsule, inside a garage that remained between 40 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
I have had good luck with this method for up to 7 years, no smells, no mold, no varmints. I do prime the oil system before I re-start the cars. I keep a full fuel tank with a stabilizer, but many would argue an empty take is better.
I will also say IMO; if you can't protect from mice and humidity, you are better off selling.

I have a friend near Raleigh, NC who uses this place, but he is wealthy, so I am not sure if it is affordable for normal folk.

As someone who has lived and worked abroad, I say "go for it". You wont regret experiences that expand your horizons!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
How big is your storage area? Can you pay someone trust worthy to come over and drive around just enough to make sure shocks move, rubber flexs, fuel doesn't go stale?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My son may stay in the house while we are gone, worried how “trustworthy” that may end up. Cars can be replaced kids can’t.

I am not very trustworthy driving it :)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I
My son may stay in the house while we are gone, worried how “trustworthy” that may end up. Cars can be replaced kids can’t.

I am not very trustworthy driving it :)

I'd pay someone to do it and give you updates.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Yes, I've personally let a car sit inside for 5 years with hardly any gas in it... Put fresh fuel in and dumped the oil, fired right up.
I put my Jeep Scrambler in storage for 6 months or so before going on a WestPac while in the Navy. Put it on blocks so no weight on the tires, low fuel, and disconnected the battery. Still needed new battery and air in the tires.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Oh yes, when my tires cost $450 each, I also jack up the car to avoid flat spotting. 3 years is a long time for a tire to sit.

·
Registered
858 Posts
So I guess I'm missing the point a little... I probably spent a grand in fuel and tolls looking at cars before I found the right one, and that's not putting a price on my time and aggravation dealing with idiot dealers and private sale guys telling me cars are mint, until I drive 4 hours and look at it and the guys like I there's this, and this, and this, and this wrong with the car. Plus you buy a car and you're obviously going to dump all the fluids, most likely do brakes all the way around, and probably tires. So let's say conservatively you're out 4500 locating and sorting out the right car...

Now we're worried about changing tires and batteries after 3 years that would have otherwise been garbage anyways having driven the car?

Not to mention all the mileage you're saving not driving it for 3 years, how easy do you think it'll be to buy one of these with under 100k on it in another 3 years?

Just trying to put some perspective on the situation.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Or how do you know the car you pull the trigger on isn't going to burn oil, or need a diff or blower that's not covered anymore... Idk there's always that unknown that you've already conquered with a car you know.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts