Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have to pay attention to your surroundings. Before this occurred, I saw the lady in the Mini Cooper Countryman that was behind me when this happened, she was in the left lane and I clearly saw her eyes going up and down as she was texting. We are all stopped, and as traffic does not pick up very quickly (55 mph zone), she thought it was all systems go. As the 911 applied his brakes, I had to check the right lane, then the rear view mirror, and she was coming full steam. I lightly press the brakes as I'm assessing my options, and I see her nose dive and her "Oh, shit" face, and she got so close I barely saw her hood let alone her bumper. So, emergency lane change! Watching the video, it sure seemed like it was more squirrely than that. Tires squealing, a little fish tale... then wait for her to get up beside me and calmly tell her to get off her phone. She was saying sorry, in her defense.
My kids were in the car, so I was rather upset.
Carry on.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Good thing u was very alert in the Champ.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If she tried to rear end you, that was no "lady". :)

I haven't had a lot of emergency stops, but something I learned long ago is that the moment I'm reasonably confident I'm not in immediate danger of hitting anything in front of me, I check to see what's happening behind me. Twice, I was able to adjust my trajectory in a way that avoided getting hit from behind by a driver who'd lost it and wasn't in control of their car anymore.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My head is always on a swivel. Always checking my mirrors. The only accidents I’ve been in have been, well, partially my fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What I hate is when I'm on the X-Way going 80-85 & some jerkoff goes by me like I'm sitting still, they have to be going well over 100. You just don't expect somebody to come up behind you like that but I'm always checking my mirrors trying to see somebody like that approaching me from the rear like that.

Usually somebody like that gets caught up in traffic & 20 miles down the road there they are 1 car ahead of me & I haven't changed my speed or lane the whole time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What I hate is when I'm on the X-Way going 80-85 & some jerkoff goes by me like I'm sitting still, they have to be going well over 100. You just don't expect somebody to come up behind you like that but I'm always checking my mirrors trying to see somebody like that approaching me from the rear like that.

Usually somebody like that gets caught up in traffic & 20 miles down the road there they are 1 car ahead of me & I haven't changed my speed or lane the whole time.
Who are you to decide how fast they go? How about stay to the right unless you are passing and then they can pass you and be out of your life. I'm not suggesting that you don't already do this. I am just stating how it should work IMO.
Overall my point is is that I am speeding also so who am I to say that their speeding is too much but my speeding is okay.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Who are you to decide how fast they go? How about stay to the right unless you are passing and then they can pass you and be out of your life. I'm not suggesting that you don't already do this. I am just stating how it should work IMO.
Overall my point is is that I am speeding also so who am I to say that their speeding is too much but my speeding is okay.

They can go as fast as they want, all I said was their jerkoff's for driving that fast when the flow of traffic is 20mph less than what their driving,

·
Super Moderator
16,918 Posts

They can go as fast as they want, all I said was their jerkoff's for driving that fast when the flow of traffic is 20mph less than what their driving,
As long as you are not in the left lane doing 80-85, who cares if they pass you in the left lane??

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In this instance, I was in the left lane, not passing. At that intersection, many people take a right (that would be the direction to my house), so it was empty, offering me an escape route. I leave plenty of room between me and the car in front of me, as well. I wonder if Mr. Porsche realized why I did what I did... :unsure:
I am always in the right lane if not actively passing. Until we get into town, then the only reason I am in the right lane is if I am getting ready to take a right or pull into a parking lot. In town on a multi lane road, you leave the right lane open so people can enter the road, or for those that are exiting.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
As long as you are not in the left lane doing 80-85, who cares if they pass you in the left lane??

I don't give a fuck if they pass me in the ditch or on the other side of the x-way going the wrong way if that's where they want to pass . You simply don't get that somebody going 20-30 mph faster than everybody else on the x-way might just might be a danger to everybody else on the x-way.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is speeding, then there is just way too fast.
If people were obeying the law, and only in the left lane when passing, if you are going 30 mph more than traffic, you are probably a hazard.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Speeders always shit in there pants when they look in the rearview mirror and see

red & blue lights game over if you 10/ 20 mph over the limit .

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
In Michigan the XWay Speed Limits for Cars & Light Trucks is 70 in most of the state, it can vary though from from 65-75 depending where you are in the State. Only places I've seen 75 so far are in the Northern Parts of the State above the Midland-Bay City area.

Depending on conditions & traffic I usually drive 80-85 that usually keeps me up with traffic. The State Police in Mi are pretty lax & will let you get away with 10-12 mph over & maybe a little more depending on traffic how your driving. I you weaving in & out of traffic & going from the left lane all the way 4- lanes over to the far right lane which most people that are going 20-30 mph over are doing then you asking for a ticket are endangering everybody else on the x-way.

It's not about not driving in the left Lane which I don't unless passing slower traffic, or telling people how fast they can drive. It's about driving within reason & not endangering everybody else on the Way.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I- 75 south is no joke with the troopers got me once before.

Big red sitting on top

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I- 75 south is no joke with the troopers got me once before.

Big red sitting on top

Hell every time I've been down that way if I wasn't going 90 I'd get run over ... :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
All them Detroit Drivers seem to drive fast, they ain't Playing down there, especially during time to go home time ...

·
Super Moderator
16,918 Posts
All them Detroit Drivers seem to drive fast, they ain't Playing down there, especially during time to go home time ...
Rush hour traffic is more like 21mph

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Waze is sooo good.

As stated elsewhere. I believe most left hand land cruisers is because so many people set their cruise control and don't want to touch it.

I never use the cruise control unless there is NO traffic...but if there is no traffic it might be late at night and I might be far above that magical 10ish above posted speed limit.

I use the middle of 3 lanes and pass left or right as the flow of traffic allows.

Side story about the cruise control.

Now with the advent of collision avoidance tied into speed regulation. It is worse.

I thought about this with that stupid Nissan commercial that interrupts Facebook videos ("It's almost like magnetic force.")

I was going to a car meet and was on the I-4 in Florida that runs between Tampa and Daytona Beach (an "Interstate" that doesn't go "Interstate"). A new model Dodge 3500 (I paid attention because I have a older model) got on I4 going the direction I was going but about half a mile ahead.

He rapidly accelerated to speed. Got in the left lane. .

I was in the center travel lane and overtook him. There was NO car in front of the Dodge nor the car I was coming up on. I was 20 -30 feet in front of him when I moved into the passing lane and was about the same 3-4 car lengths behind the center lane car.

Well the nose of his Dodge dove down because 30' would be inside the "safe" following distance this onboard systems allow.

He wasn't happy because he re-accelerated and tried to run up on me (I was already back in the center lane after the pass). I put an end to that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts