Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 with 11,000 miles, today I found oil dripping from trim piece below the right rear Coil/shock and took it in to the dealer.

When the tech removed the plastic tray the inside was wet with a light yellowish oil. They determined the one shock was bad so one shock was placed on order, not a pair of shocks.
I let my write up guy know I want the rears replaced as a pair, see what he comes back with. That being said has anyone else run into this and been successful in having the pair replaced and not just one? Appreciate any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
They only replace what is defective. If the other shock is not leaking they will not replace. I worked at GM dealership and this was the policy. No harm or worries with only one leaking and being replaced. I would not worry. If the other one starts leaking they will replace. You have magnetic ride so there is no issue with replacing one at a time.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I’m also a tech for GM. Unless you are good friends with the service department, they are only going to replace one. Also remember the service department could have to return the old parts to GM and they also have to explain how both rear shocks went bad at the same time, not likely. Not as easy as some people think to get parts replaced under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,450 Posts
no chance at all, they have to be dripping with fluid to replace them, even if they are sweating a bit its an uphill battle you will likely lose

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any chance they’d still replace mine, factory warranty is out but it’s a cpo car. Granted it’s heavily modified and on lowering springs 😁

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
GM serviced mine on my gmc truck last year, replaced 3 out of the 4 mag ride shocks by warranty. Left the 1 that looked fine to me as well. Similar to everyone’s experience in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen and GM would only replace one. I went ahead and bought the second one and installed it, but today I would only replace the bad one. My experience after 200,000 miles is that the rear's gave way. I went through three pair of rears, none in front. They are a tad expensive, but they rode and handled as well the last day as the first. I bet you can go with a single shock and not know the difference. The shocks from the old days had to be replaced in pairs because they wore out and it was obvious.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just had both done on my 2017 with 38k miles. MY car is modified, headers etc...
car Is not lowered. They did them both under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts