Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTSV Coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New CTSV owner here. I don't normally sign up to forums as I rarely have the time, however I have to say this site has been a tremendous resource of information pertaining to my V. After visiting the sites multiple times a week to learn about everything V I decided to joint the community.

Now I would like to share the beginning of my CTSV journey, I bought my V Coupe from a used car dealer in upstate NY site-unseen. There were only 2 examples I could find for sale around 50K miles and the price point I was looking for. Well turns out buying it site-unseen was a bad idea...

Issues I have discovered so far:
1 - It looks like there was unreported damage and repair to the driver side door
2 - The wheels were trashed with curb rash
3 - Multiple dents and dings that were not disclosed by the seller
4 - The front splitter trim was smashed and hanging off
5 - Apparently they glued on damaged tires that I had to immediately replace due to sections of the bead area being missing. (This one was a safety issue)

Lesson learned.
20210409_143158_resized.jpg

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Wow, you got screwed. Obviously there might be a lesson here. I flew from Florida to Detroit to buy my V way back when. The care was in superior condition (891 miles on the clock). The drive home was sooo worth all of it! And I got to see the car up close and personal before I bought it.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Next time I will definitely get eyes on before buying. Setting all of these issues straight has cost me money but now I know it has been done right and it keeps my obsession fed.
Making lemonade out lemons just takes money.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I too bought mine from a dealership in Chicago and I live in Alabama. I had the salesman face time me and walk around the car and show me everything. He cranked it, revved it up for me and did a great job showing me everything. I was very pleased with my purchase once it arrived at my house. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time with yours since you've fixed the new problems.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
I too bought mine from a dealership in Chicago and I live in Alabama. I had the salesman face time me and walk around the car and show me everything. He cranked it, revved it up for me and did a great job showing me everything. I was very pleased with my purchase once it arrived at my house. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time with yours since you've fixed the new problems.
Pretty much what I did. As well as putting it on a lift to see the exhaust/underside.
OP, I hope you have it all taken care of, and are able to enjoy the car now.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Great attitude, now start modding!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mine came from Chicago area as well, similar situation. Minor wear and tear on a 7 year old car, but it’s cherry.
@Midlife-V-sis congrats on the coupe and welcome.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sucks to hear, like others mine came from out of state as well, salesman did a FaceTime call sent me 3 videos of a complete walk around, couple of engine at idle and a few good revs. Was very happy when I got it minus it being filthy from transport from Tennessee to Rhode Island. At least for the most part it’s not big ticket stuff minus wheels and tires. Mine had a few dings as well, had a paintless dent guy take them out, cost me 150. Those guys are amazing if you have one nearby. Good luck and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
A few years ago, someone posted to this very forum asking if there was anyone who could go take a look at a V on a dealer lot in my area. They didn't want to make the trip without at least some idea of the quality of the car. So I volunteered. Went over the car in detail, like if I was going to buy it myself. Took pictures of all the issues I identified. Sent everything to the guy. And while the car really wasn't too bad, based on the detail I provided he decided to take a pass.

So here's something that a forum is good for, even for people who haven't had a reason to join yet...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have bought several cars from out of state. I always use and have great success with a company called "Lemon Squad." All online and for less than a couple of hundred you get a full report down the nth degree with pictures and video from a 3rd party mechanic/car inspector. Worth every penny if you are considering buying a car that you can't easily see or relying on videos. There are some things videos just can't capture.

Looks like you are heading in the right direction with it. Nothing better than a black Coupe in my opinion. I can see in your first photo you have the black on black interior which is the one I like. Nice!!

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I have only purchased one car sight unseen and only from pictures. In addition to my V I have had a couple of Mustang convertibles. At the time I had a 2011 GT California Special. I enjoyed the car and it had been driven (79K miles). It was in great shape but not flawless like my V.

Two and a half years ago a very good friend of mine who works with local dealers asked me if I was going to keep the Mustang I had. I shrugged and said probably for the time being. I wasn't really looking. He was also responsible for me finding my V back in 2013.

He then told me about a semi-retired owner of a local Roush/Ford dealer that was looking to sell his 2016 Roush Stage 3 Mustang convertible. It was down at his other home in Florida (I live in the Detroit Metro area). He went on to say the guy hardly drove it, never really hard and washed it every day. The car only had 6K miles on it. He had ordered a ZR-1 and was probably going to trade the Roush in to a local Florida dealer in Florida.

I thought about it for a couple of days and then asked for some pictures. Pictures looked great. Asked around with a couple of other people I know who knew the car and everyone told me it was flawless and babied. So I negotiated with his son who now runs the local dealership and decided to buy the car.

It was the first time I ever put money down on a car without having seen it or touched in in person.

The owner shipped it back up to Michigan through Reliable Transport (covered).

When I went to pick up the car, it was flawless. In better condition than the cars in the showroom.

I only took the chance because of word of mouth through people who knew the car, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
A few years ago, someone posted to this very forum asking if there was anyone who could go take a look at a V on a dealer lot in my area. They didn't want to make the trip without at least some idea of the quality of the car. So I volunteered. Went over the car in detail, like if I was going to buy it myself. Took pictures of all the issues I identified. Sent everything to the guy. And while the car really wasn't too bad, based on the detail I provided he decided to take a pass.

So here's something that a forum is good for, even for people who haven't had a reason to join yet...

You cunts here are great. That's what I did for my wagon back in the day. Posted up here about a Wagon I was following online, and Larry Arizona was nice enough to swing by and take a quick look over of the car.

Ended up working out a deal with the dealership and flying out with my BIL and driving it home soon after.

Reactions: loweredd

·
Registered
2011 CTSV Coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sooo the plot thickens, the other day I heard the marbles in the motor sounds while the car was at idle and I was outside of it. After doing some research in the CTSV forum (of course) I learned this is a common supercharger isolator issue. I also found the extended service notice from GM. I called up my local dealer a couple of weeks ago and it took them about 20 minutes to confirm the extended service agreement. The dealership told me I had until June 21st 2021 before the 10 years was up. I ask them how soon can you get me in, they said June 21st!!!! Here I sit on June 21st writing to you all while my car is at the dealer being evaluated for the Isolator issue, where if confirmed would land me a new supercharger assembly at no cost, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The ultimate warranty coverage!

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,118 Posts
I think I would have insisted on dropping it off Friday and having it entered into the system beFORE the drop dead day.... but that's just my paranoia.

·
Registered
2011 CTSV Coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dropped of Sunday evening, left it right out front of the service area. They called me today at 7:40AM to confirm they have the car. I followed up with them at 4:00PM but they did not have an update for me however I spoke with someone that promised me that the service agreement is based on the date the investigations started which was today and that there would be no issues if it is the supercharger isolator. I still find it odd that it is now almost 6PM and I have heard nothing.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I think I would have insisted on dropping it off Friday and having it entered into the system beFORE the drop dead day.... but that's just my paranoia.
Actually a good point. Nice post at 5:30EDT on the day of, lol!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts