Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey community.

I noticed a water spot in the rear passenger side of my headliner. Being aware of the dreaded clogged drain system, I pulled down my headliner to first the verify it was properly attached. I checked the drain line connection at the battery, and it was also secured.

Then, I suctioned the line to be sure and ran water down the channel to the test. Great drainage and flow from the bottom of the car. I went back in to check after another water test and noticed the leak was coming from a gap in the channel pictured below.

Any thoughts? RTV it? My concern is how far into the channel. Or, if I don't shwack the leak point, that I end up pooling water at some point if I don't catch the seam correctly. Curious what anyone else has done.

Side note: the butyl tape over the blind fasteners was a horrible choice by GM for sealing purposes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'd think that if you don't RTV that spot, you'll have the leak regardless. .... but I guess if you do RTV it and it pools, then it'll leak over the edge too. Just got for it. They all leak, or all will eventually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I very carefully flex seal'd that area and it stopped my leak from the same exact spot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it. If you zoom in between the two plastic nipples you'll see the point of failure in the plastic structure.

I liberally applied RTV over the plastic surface there and to the channel where I thought it was coming from (the plastic to metal surface) just to be safe. Guess we'll see over the next few rain cycles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Wonder if it’s a thermoplastic and you could weld it up a bit?

This is great info as there are lots of leaking sunroofs out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great idea. I'm not sure. For now, I hope the JB Weld and RTV takes care of it. Until then, I'm going to look into sourcing just that part. I think it is a long shot since it appears to be bonded or riveted to the rail structure of the sun roof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts