Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
Fun pedal, Few doors
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tell me your launch strategy on the track? Tires? Burnout? RPM at launch? Best 60'? Tour mode? TC OFF?
If my parts arrive someday, I plan to get some drag strip time and I cant WAIT to see what she'll do... But to be honest I've never gone to a drag strip with thousand-horse 4500 pound barge.
No purpose in pretending that I have this down.
Tell me what you've found to work.
My build is a 427/2650 legit 1000hp on paper anyway. ALM mounts, Monster triple S clutch, fresh TR6060, Aluminum driveshaft, G-Force axles, new MagRides, stock springs, 15" conversion, planning MT R tires
How would YOU plan to launch this car?

· Premium Member
Fun pedal, Few doors
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you intend on driving it home from the drag strip or flat bedding it?

To some, that would determine how aggressive of a launch to attempt.
Good question. I don't want to break it... but honestly I plan to trailer it...and to be totally frank, I expect to be very very rude to it.

· Premium Member
Fun pedal, Few doors
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Revisiting this thread. I need some INPUT, people!
I have never tried to launch a thousand-horsepower, 5000 pound car on a prepped track on drag tires with a manual trans.

I'm NOT scared of breaking it, (not planning to, at least) but if it breaks, it breaks.

How to break it, how to avoid breaking it, how to think about breaking is NOT the topic, please.

I want to know about launching the beast.
My first-guess plan is 3500,floor it and dump the clutch on green.
I'll probably bog it/kill it and have to perform the crank-of-shame in the staging lights.
Talk to me

Tell me YOUR launch strategy for a stickshift barge.

Note that this isn't daydreaming or bench racing.
I am ON THE WAY to Cadillac Attack, right NOW>

Suggestions, please and no worry about parts breakage, just tell me how YOU launch>

· Registered
1,633 Posts
There is so much to this I'm not sure where is best to start.

First tires. You have a drag radial. A radial wants to be dead hooked. IE: zero tire spin at the launch and it wants to stay hooked. Whereas a slick can be spun a couple revolutions on launch and if it spins down track it can recover. A radial doesn't recover well.

So if you engine is a t 3500 rpm and your tires are 0, when you "dump" the clutch something has to slip. Since you have a radial it doesn't like to slip, so your clutch must do that if you want to move without tire spin. If you had a slick, it could slip and your clutch could lock instead.

I don't know which clutch you have, but it's likely a multi disc with no adjustability that won't slip easily. So, any slipping it needs to do will have to be done with your foot.

There are a couple strategies I'd try.
First pick a launch RPM, say 3000, and feather the clutch out off the line while applying throttle. This is attempting to modulate the slip until your tire rpm and motor rpm are coupled. Hopefully you'll time full clutch lockup with full throttle and your tire can hook that power.
Since you have a large engine with a big PD blower that makes near instant torque, my second strategy would be to leave near idle and more aggressively "dump" the clutch and apply throttle. Since you are starting at or near idle, the difference in rpm between the tires and crank are closer. You can more quickly couple those two rpms and hopefully the huge torque will pull the car up to speed without bogging.

Don't expect either to be repeatable. You might get a hero pass every once in a while, but it will be frustrating to get there.

· Premium Member
Fun pedal, Few doors
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ is what I'm looking for, people!
This is the perspective needed. I've been thinking along the same lines i.e. if I floor it and dump it at a high RPM it either slips the clutch, bogs the engine OR breaks. I have been trying to practice slipping the clutch on the street but it won't be comparable, at all.
The clutch is a Monster S triple Street unit and it is not fond of slippage although it is likely to be a lot more forgiving than, say, a puck or ceramic clutch.
Thanks for your insight, considering ALL thoughts on the subject.

Has anyone out there had any success slipping one of these Monster S clutches?

· Registered
1,633 Posts
My friends 6 speed C6 with a ~900hp nitrous 416 has had both a McLeod RXT with radials and a mantic triple with slicks. It's a mid to low 9 second car. The RXT would slip and the radials would hook. This was a consistent combo, but a clutch lasted about 100 passes. The Mantic locks solid and the slicks spin. This has been the most frustrating combo because it either bogs or spins. We can't find a good sweet spot. It has a huge cam and a bit of a turd on motor at low RPM. So we flirt with leave rpm to keep it high enough to keep the nitrous on (window switch) but not spin. He hasn't had it at the track in a couple years because it became so frustrating.

He says the monster is somewhere in between, but hasn't had one in his car.

One of the few passes where it hooks (mantic triple/ 28x10.5 slick).

· Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Just don't leave it in Neutral when the tree turns green...
I resemble this remark, fucker.

A buddy of mine gave me some good advice: 3.5-4k RPM... and slip the ever-loving-shit out of that clutch.

Good luck!

· Premium Member
Fun pedal, Few doors
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

A buddy of mine gave me some good advice: 3.5-4k RPM... and slip the ever-loving-shit out of that clutch.

Good luck!
I’ll probably be seen trying to do a burnout…. with Traction Control on…

It doesn’t go well. (I mean— so I’ve heard)

· Registered
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
3,389 Posts

Good luck!
I was wondering if you would catch that. All with love, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2011 CTSV Coupe M BLK LSX376-B15
1,161 Posts
My Tilton ceramic clutch kit doesn't slip, but my rear wheels spin for sure! I will usually rev up to 3-4 and dump it. I'm running less power and have a stock rear end and wheels.

· Premium Member
Fun pedal, Few doors
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Tilton ceramic clutch kit doesn't slip, but my rear wheels spin for sure! I will usually rev up to 3-4 and dump it. I'm running less power and have a stock rear end and wheels.
How does it react on drag tires on the track?

· Registered
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
3,389 Posts
I’m not sure if it has been mentioned, but you do not want your suspension in sport mode. Leave it in tour and let that big ass drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,575 Posts
Me in my 650 HP wagon a few years ago. it was heavy humidity and 95 degrees out. the car would do low 11s with the right weather and practice.

Slipping the clutch is key along with getting the tires to hook up. I was running Toyo R888R and they are great. Lowered the pressure to 30 in the rear and did a few good burnouts. T/C and Stabilitrack off. I think it was a double tap on the steering wheel button I can't remember which. Pick the lane with the most grip, and talk to the locals about which is the hot lane that night.

Start slow and build speed, the clutch and launch are key. Not sure how to get 1K HP to the ground without wheelspin but you must slip the clutch around 2800-3400 rpm, once it hooks mash the throttle to the floor. Make sure when going from 2nd to 3rd that you don't hit 5th. Practice in the car with it off working the pedals with your eyes closed and rowing the gears. Do this over and over so it becomes muscle memory and you run on autopilot.

This practice will come in handy on the day of the event. You want to be confident. The stock shifting pattern is shit in these cars, a short throw upgrade is a must (I would prefer a gate as well but I don't think they are made for this tub). Control your breathing at the launch and practice your breathing while visualizing going down the track. Relax your grip on the wheel and when you shift, no need for the five-finger death grip. Your grip should be firm and crisp on the wheel and shifter. You want to be relaxed as possible to perform at optimum. Get a set of road racing gloves from HMS Motorsports and fuck what people think of you when you put them on.

Make sure you bleed the brakes after changing to Motul or Castrol hi-temp fluid. Upgrade the pads, you will trap at the end ~ 135-155mph so you want this hefty bitch to stop. Buy a snell 2015+ Helmet and don't skimp it could save your life.

I'm mostly a road race guy but when I was younger I liked to go to the drag strip and still go from time to time. I'm far from an expert just relaying what I remember doing that night. My times are posted somewhere on here as well.

Good luck and pictures or it didn't happen.

· Premium Member
3,042 Posts
6k, then side step that fucker!

Reactions: MrSurly
1 - 20 of 53 Posts