Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

541 - 560 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like that the stock fuel rails can still be used with the new lid? do you have any pics of the lid installed?
I don’t know if using the stock LSA fuel rails with the new lid is possible. I wish some one could confirm this.
During my last conversation with Greg about his new lid he stated I would have to upgrade to aftermarket fuel rails in order to clear the water inlets. That adds another major expense to the upgrade.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I don't even know what this new lid everyone is talking about. Is it for a stock LSA blower?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I don't even know what this new lid everyone is talking about. Is it for a stock LSA blower?
The kong dual pass intercooler lid is also backward compatible with the stock LSA blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
No, it’s the new lid for the Kong, supposed to be much better obviously.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I you machine in gasket grooves on a stock LSA it should work.

Kong said on FB that it was compatible with stock LSA without machining.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Kong said on FB that it was compatible with stock LSA without machining.
That's what I am hoping for. With the huge surface area of the core in these lids, I wonder if there is room to run a decent lid spacer to give air exiting the rotors more space to spread out before entering the fins.

Also, looking at the underside of the lid more, I wonder how much air makes it to the back two cylinders. I would think they would receive less than the rest and may end up running a little richer. That's just my thought as a person not trained in fluid dynamics though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's what I am hoping for. With the huge surface area of the core in these lids, I wonder if there is room to run a decent lid spacer to give air exiting the rotors more space to spread out before entering the fins.

Also, looking at the underside of the lid more, I wonder how much air makes it to the back two cylinders. I would think they would receive less than the rest and may end up running a little richer. That's just my thought as a person not trained in fluid dynamics though.
I think Kong designed it to be a dual pass. The air gets pushed up through the brick and pressurizes the small space above it (1st pass), then the engine inhales the pressurized air from that small space which forces the air to pass back through the brick and into the engine (2nd pass). I think putting a spacer might disrupt that process and force air into the engine before it has a chance to pass through the brick. Of course I'm no engineer so I am only assuming. Maybe Kong kept the space above the brick relatively small to avoid starving the rear cylinders, but more than likely its just because thats all the room they have to work with.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Its clearly a function of sealing out the lid to create the true dual pass...aerodynamically it is not all that appealing as mentioned...flow is going to become more turbulent making the sharp transitions to reach the rear cylinders...IMHO the intercooler brick should be made to have 'ears' that cover those small areas with core...not a lot of rev work to do that beyond the custom core with front coolant ports.

Any spacer would have to now include straight runs to mimic the 'new' gasket area required. I have one and it is just the perimeter and an extension for the square brick.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Its clearly a function of sealing out the lid to create the true dual pass...aerodynamically it is not all that appealing as mentioned...flow is going to become more turbulent making the sharp transitions to reach the rear cylinders...IMHO the intercooler brick should be made to have 'ears' that cover those small areas with core...not a lot of rev work to do that beyond the custom core with front coolant ports.

Any spacer would have to now include straight runs to mimic the 'new' gasket area required. I have one and it is just the perimeter and an extension for the square brick.
Agree about the rear cylinders but not sure if the brick could easily be designed to accommodate and then the lid would be larger and would interfere with the cowl on the Vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
12,884 Posts
Given that Kong already has the CNC program for this lid, adding additional headroom between the top of the lid and top of the brick should be a fairly easy edit for the CTSV/ZL1. Just depends on demand and Kong's appetite to add a second SKU.
I think Edelbrock is making the production lids so it isn’t quite as easy to make changes

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Agree about the rear cylinders but not sure if the brick could easily be designed to accommodate and then the lid would be larger and would interfere with the cowl on the Vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Easily, nope... So you get an off the shelf core thats used in other applications (major assumption on my part, but why else would you totally close out the rear to cylinder's straight path of air?) This is much different geometry than on a single pass, so I get that its new, just assessing is all.

I dont mean altering the top of the lid at all, just make the core assymetric and into the jutting areas.

Just approaching it as a design engineer who likes fluid dynamics quandaries.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Maybe duck can come up with a formula for rear cylinder fill.

As I see it when under boost you have a positive pressure that will fill any void . So under boost they will get an even amount of air. When under vacuum I can see some uneven distribution. Good thing is we are almost always under positive pressure when it matters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Sure you have big boost numbers...but you want as equivalent flow to all cyl as possible, which will be affected by geometry regardless the pressure differential. Flow reaching the rear will have to tumble more, no direct path through the intercooler.

I will admit that its certainly a reasonable enough approach. Most of us here don't settle for that kind of score though, even if only in theory.

**Im splitting hairs here...its gonna crush the stock lid in cooling Im sure.

***And perhaps i just have my Cunt hat on too tight this Monday AM.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I doubt this was designed blind of any CFD. Edelbrock has all the latest and greatest software to design with.

The problem with the rear cylinders is that they run hot. Hot means low coolant flow inside the head or lean. Lean means there is too much air. If this design limited air to the rear cylinders they would run rich and potentially cooler. I don't see that happening. From a 30k ft. view that would lead me to believe distribution to the cylinders isn't an issue. The ZL1 lid is this way, stock ZR1 lid is this way. I think you all are worrying about something that isn't as much of an issue.

541 - 560 of 599 Posts