Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my twin turbo build for my manual V2. I am doing everything myself but tuning. I've been mulling over whether or not I should keep the OEM ECU or go with a Holley Terminator X Max.

This is a budget build, so I try to save costs where I can, but not skimp. Considering this, I had full intentions of going with a stock ECU. My goals are pretty mild (mainly a street car) so the stock ECU would serve me fine.

A friend who is running a Terminator told me about it and after looking into it, it seems like a great option for not much more than I'd already be spending.

If I keep E67, I have to factor in the costs for an EBC, wideband (probably AFR500), Lingenfelter 2-step box. All of this is right around $1000.

The X Max is $1400 and has all of these functions built-in/included. So for a few hundred more, I gain a standalone. Functionally, the biggest downside would be the limited outputs/inputs (4 each). An expansion module ($368) adds 8 more.

The biggest draw is the traction control system, boost by gear control, and the safety measures of the Holley. I hope to utilize these and any other features that I can. If I can control my aux pump with it, that'd be a bonus.

That said, I have no personal experience with a standalone. The UI is much simpler than HPTuners but the wiring sounds overwhelming (I would be piggybacking).

I'm looking for advice on which direction to lean towards.

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
905 Posts
FWIW: The Holley is my favorite standalone EFI system to work with. It just works and has a nice interface with a lot of features. The down side is losing some of the functionality in modern car that would be a deal breaker on anything but a race car with something like a CTSV. The 09+ E67s are very capable and can be tuned to 4 digit power with HP Tuners or EFI Live.
Matt from 2016.

What is your friend running the Terminator on? A LOT of the new cars has everything tied together.

·
Vendor
13,349 Posts
Matt from 2016.

What is your friend running the Terminator on? A LOT of the new cars has everything tied together.
Various things but mostly cars using the Holley dash screen regardless of what they are. More race focused cars.

In some cases a Holley or Motec will be used as a secondary controller running port injection on DI vehicles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts