Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
against my better judgment I decided to do a flex fuel sensor and tune on my car. this was my plan from the get go if I ever tuned it. finally all of the black smoke was really what pushed me over.

so after reading several reviews about Justin, and talking to a few people. I pm'ed him when he posted about coming to the area.

Justin reassured me that he had done several 8l90's and a few V3's, FLNTV for example. we came to an agreement for the tune, flex sensor and install for 1000. looking back, that's probably what it should have cost anyway. so im on the schedule.

2 days before he gets here, he asks me if I changed plugs yet....um, no, you never mentioned that. "oh, well you need to change the plugs to the tr7-ix version for the LT motor. So in my abundant free time (insert sarcasm), im supposed to change spark plugs before he gets here..... I get on amazon and get 3 boxes next day shipped to me.

the morning of my appointment, it was a real shit show, but the the plugs got put in. I did 4 and one of justins friends did 4. I had agreed to pay for him to put them in so I could help unavowed swap his plugs since his car was still on the dyno from the night before. but I ended up doing 4.....

so he makes a baseline pull, and then 2 on 93 and the car made shit for power even after he tuned it. now granted I made the decision to leave the stock airbox on, so I wasn't too mad about it. so I load in 10 gallon of E85 even after I asked if he needed to do a blend as he tuned it. he said no. this is different from anything that Jeremy did, but whatever. so 16 pulls later we get to a point where he says the curve looks good. from stock to what it was, the number was good for me. I was pretty frustrated in how long it took, and how repeatedly my car was beat on. but i understand the process, this isn't my 1st prom.

so i leave. get on the highway and the car is shifting funny, and clunking really bad as it goes in and out of v4 mode. I text him that, and he said ok. I had told him I had plans Sunday and wouldn't be able to mess with it. so I pm'ed, texted, and called about when I could come by on the Monday to finish it up. he tells me to come back by around 4:30. so I do. they were walking out to go get lunch.....so I guess he forgot he told me to come.

so he says good, you can take us to lunch. fine, we can do logging and tuning on the way there and back. so he made 2 tweaks and it was better but still a long way from perfect.

so we get back to the shop and I figured he was going to grab his power cord for his laptop and we could go back out. nope....he says that the other car is on the dyno with the clock ticking.

then, since my house is only like 10 miles from the shop, I asked if they could stop by on their way home or text me when I could come back. he said sure. well, night came and went and nothing. I finally got an answer from him about 4 hours before he was supposed to go to the airport. I drop everything and run out the door. we made a few WOT pulls and tweaked it some....it was a little better, but nowhere near 100 percent. he departs Maryland, and I proceed to daily drive my car. im in it probably 2.5 to 3 hours a day with the reduced engine power message on the dash every time I start the car, and the shifts are all whacky in the mid range power.

finally I asked an expert what he thought was causing the reduced engine power message. he asked if I had the stock tune to put back in it, so I asked Justin for it. I put the tune in the car and the message went away, put Justin's tune back in and the message came back on. So at this point I sent this email:

Justin

I put the stock tune file back and reduced engine power message went away, and then put yours back in and the message came back. At this point, the stock tune is back in it. I don't have the time to do a bunch of logs back and forth to dial it in. but as of the moment I have a tune that shows reduced engine power and a trans that doesn't want to shift correctly on E85, which was the whole purpose of the tune. I was pretty honest at the start on what I wanted, and what I didn't want was to create another headache. can you please refund my money for the tune and that way you don't have to worry about messing with it and neither do I.

to which I received this response.

Brian I worked my ass off on that car and I told you I'd make the adjustments for it. I don't have the money to return. Do you really feel that we didn't make good Gains on the car and that I shouldn't be paid for my time spent? That's pretty unfair. So basically I tune the car and bc on e85 we have to adjust shifts and I have a code to delete I should get nothing for my time? If u don't have time to do logs Scott can do it for you so you don't have to but seems pretty unfair that I lose out on my hard work which you have still and can use

and my response....

im not going to drive my $100K car around with something that isn't 100 percent. the reduced engine power really bothered me, and I didn't want to have to take it to the dealer and try to explain how it happened, and have them pull the tune out and see that the pcm has been reflashed. there may have been gains on the dyno, but on the street after several 100 miles, the shifting was really bad. I didn't think just adding a flex fuel sensor was going to require so much work on a tune. you told me you had done several of them, so I figured that it wasn't going to be a problem. so to your point, if I don't have something I can use without having to 2nd guess it, is it fair for me to pay for it? I already had to buy a new motor for 1 CTS-V because of a tune, I am not going to pay for a 2nd one.

just think about my time, and money spent. 500 dollars for dyno time, and 140 dollars to put 4 spark plugs in and 300 for a flex fuel sensor. you got a grand and had to pay for a sensor out of it all.

and....his

I told you I have had the rep issue before and they cleared it. I didn’t disable any codes to cause it you can see that. The car needs some shift adjustments and a code cleared. It is not hurting the motor. Infant believe yurt acting like this. I did my job and am offering to finish it even if I have to coy back to do so. But I will not lose everything I made tuning the car for hours bc you don’t want to finish the shift points. That’s not fair to me. I’m sorry you feel how you do but your being very unfair to me when I didn’t do anything wrong and the car is safe. You know it is you were there the entire time. You pais Scott not me. And I paid for more than a sensor. It really annoys me that you have been around this yet will sit there and discredit what I’ve done and think I deserve nothing. You got the improvement you wanted and then some. You got a car that isn’t a knock factory. Had you said something while I was there I would have pulled the file underfunded you but you now own my tune and I am not going to refund something I can’t retrieve

and mine....this is like watching pong.....

FYI, I CC'ed a CTS-V owners moderator on this, so in the event you decide to maintain your stance, and I make a post about my experiences, they are in the know on what has transpired.

so just so were clear on the facts

1. you, Justin White, tuned the 2016 Cadillac CTS-V, herein referred to as "car"

2. I, Brian Rice, paid for you, Justin White, to tune the car

3. the tune is not 100 percent when payment was rendered.

the rest is just back and forth.

(my response in RED)

I told you I have had the rep issue before and they cleared it. (if you had told me before you even started the tune that there would be reduced engine power codes that would have to go to the dealer to be cleared, I would have not even done the tune in the 1st place) I didn’t disable any codes to cause it you can see that. (I did not go into the tune and look at anything in the tune, I don't pretend to know anything about a Gen5, but the last several days, I have learned more than I wanted) The car needs some shift adjustments and a code cleared. (the code wouldn't clear unless I took it to the dealer, and im not taking it to the dealer and risk getting my car warranty flagged) It is not hurting the motor. (are you willing to pay for a new engine and/or trans to find out?) Infant believe yurt acting like this. I did my job and am offering to finish it even if I have to coy back to do so (I did not want a remote tune, because as I stated, I don't have time for this log/tune back and forth, if LPE sends a car out of its shop, do you think their customer wants to still work on the tune after the get the car back? you are charging professional prices, the expectation is professional work). But I will not lose everything I made tuning the car for hours bc you don’t want to finish the shift points. (its not that I don't want to, its I don't have the time to. from your website: An improper, incorrect, or poorly executed engine modification can have a detrimental effect on performance; Specialize in late model GM LS/LT platforms, as well as the 6l80/90 and 8L90 transmission tuning. GUARANTEED improvement or the tune is on me). That’s not fair to me. I’m sorry you feel how you do but your being very unfair to me when I didn’t do anything wrong and the car is safe.(is it fair to me to have an incomplete tune in a car that you knew I drove EVERY SINGLE DAY?) You know it is you were there the entire time. (how do I know that the whacky shifting isn't wearing the clutches in the transmission prematurely?.) You pais Scott not me. (he even said to me that he installed the sensor, and I told him you had included that in the price) And I paid for more than a sensor. (please tell me what, you may have bought a couple of PCM pins, zipties, and some loom, but if there was anything else, please tell me) It really annoys me that you have been around this yet will sit there and discredit what I’ve done and think I deserve nothing. (it really annoys me that I have an unfinished car) You got the improvement you wanted and then some. You got a car that isn’t a knock factory. (but I got a car that wont shift like its supposed to under any kind of power) Had you said something while I was there I would have pulled the file underfunded you but you now own my tune and I am not going to refund something I can’t retrieve (I already paid for another tune, and before you say someone fixed your work, it was started with the stock tune which was why I asked for it back.)

so, before you say you aren't going to do something that clearly on your website you guaranteed, please be mindful of who you are talking to. while I may not be on any of the facebook groups, I have been on many of the LSX forums for over 10 years, and CTS-V owners since the start.

its really your choice, 500 dollars isn't really a big deal to me, its the principle of the matter. refund me or don't, I am not going to lose sleep over it. but if you don't, just be aware that I will be sure to let everyone know that you didn't honor your guarantee that you have on your website.

you can refund me 500, and we can call it square.
and back at him.....

My guarantee is if it doesn't make an improvement it's on me. Very simple. So did it or did it not make an improvement? Also that goes for tuning in person. When we were in person you were happy. Now that I'm gone and can't retrieve my file back you hit me with this bs. So I'm glad you tagged the moderator. I made $400 on that car I'm not going to have spend 5+ hours on it and then come out -100 bc you don't feel like finishing remote which you agreed to. I offered to fly back and finalize it. You are the one that is being stubborn. The fact that you are now threatening me makes me even more not willing to refund you. Fact is. You paid for a tune for improvement which you received. You said it shifts funny a has a code which I can fix easily. You decide that your going to keep my tune work and I'm going to reimburse you for the tuning done and I'm just assed out with nothing. This really shows what kind of person you are. I'm sorry you feel the way you do but I'm not refunding you when you have my tune in your computer. You could have easily said you weren't impressed at the Dyno or afterwards when we met up but clearly tha was not your opinion. You were in fact very impressed from what I recall and very excited about taking itto the track and dialing it in. You get in a fight with your wife over the car and now you try to lie about it and take the money back from me and I just lose out on my hard work. Last I checked a gain of 100+ ft lbs and 75+ hp over the curve is quite the improvement and your the only one that's claiming to be unsatisfied. But you wait until after I'm gone and can't retrieve my work to say so. Multiple witnesses will account for how satisfied you claimed to be all until the day I was on the plane. So try and attack me and say negative about me on the board all you want bc we all know the truth and this is one of the slimiest things I've ever had a customer do. Especially knowing the shit I'm going through with my daughter and just getting out the er myself. You are really a piece of work. Good day.

and then immediately this as I was typing this post....

As well you don't have to take it to the dealer to have the code cleared. It can be reflashed and the code can be eliminated. It is easier to have them read it out so we know what it's doing but that's it. You were told about his I made it very clear as well telling you all the bugs aren't worked out of this operating system with hp tuners. I profited $400 minus flight and all to get there. My offer is that I will fly back and finish it or will settle at 200 and never hear from you again. This is the slimiest thing I've ever had to deal with in my entire career. You should be ashamed of yourself

so, I know some of you guys don't really mind the remote tweaking back and forth. At this point in my life, its not something I want to fuck with. my time is valuable as I don't have my of it to myself anymore between work, family, and the normal things that have to get done in life.

so after looking over the file, this came to my attention....in the IAT spark adder tables.....timing not being removed until after 219 degrees.....and then one cell adding 3 degrees at 30 percent throttle mass at 219 degrees....so in the 100 degree heat, sitting in stop and go traffic, I wonder what those IAT2's get to.....im sure it can easily be well over 150, which is were we always tell people that the cars start pulling timing....maybe a V3 is a little different....but im certain that not pulling timing at those temps is a very bad thing, much less add timing in there....

how many of you would spend almost $100K on a car and then deal with issues and wonder if the tune is right or not.....

Justin likes to talk about other peoples tunes, but then sends my car out incomplete. if shit aint right, I will point it out....just like I do with FranSS and I did with KDi. after all of this started, I asked a few more people and there are others that have not had good luck, but choose not to post about it.

I would rather people know there are issues so they can ask educated questions when something doesn't seem right.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Holy fuck can't believe I read all that shit. So did Jeremy retune your car yet?

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Thanks for posting. Pretty thorough and damning if you ask me...

·
Registered
186 Posts
You did the right thing for demanding your money back. You got a shitty, incomplete tune. You have a right to be upset. It's your car, and if something happens to it because of the tune then I'm pretty sure the tuner would not compensate you for it. Find a real, reputable tuner and try again or learn how to tune yourself with the HPTuners kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Wow. That missive puts one of Tri Texan's rants to shame. I'm sorry you had to post it, but fully understand. I may not have been as PC as you.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
You have the stock calibration so you can compare the IAT table to what was stock. That does seem way different than the stock V2 table but there are tons of tables that deal with spark advance so maybe it pulls timing somewhere else? Definitely odd though.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock vs what I had

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
High octane and low octane tables are the same.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Wow... you guys did all those pulls in the heat that day... smh. Matching tables is something pointed out about other tuners... hhhmmm.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Damn. The ONE person around here I wouldn't want to piss off. But one person I would like to do business with because it would be a very straightforward and transparent deal, just like you laid out here. This isn't a fucking fox body rustang, it's a 100,000 dollar car for Christs sake.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Wow. That missive puts one of Tri Texan's rants to shame. I'm sorry you had to post it, but fully understand. I may not have been as PC as you.
Nope, sorry. . . . TT is still the Champion of 'Rant' :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this.

Your both two very respected and 'Savvy' people on this forum.

I do have to say that whenever there is an issue between a
customer and a mechanic, tuner as in this case, that 'Splitting'
the losses is not a bad deal.

No one has to continue with the grief and in this case $500.00
is not a 'Big Deal'.

Cheers

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
500 isn't a big deal as in I'm not going to get myself all worked up and beside myself over it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The tables still match due to us not finishing the tuning. We agreed to finish via remote. I even offered to come back up and finish it for you. If bashing me is what you think is best then good luck to you sir. I don't care to go back and forth with someone that doesn't want to do his part and hold his word. I even offered to fly back and finish it at no cost to you. Funny how people take one persons side without maybe hearing the other. The other thing that's funny is how happy you were the day I was leavin and bragging to everyone and now that you have the tune file on your laptop you want your money. You knew I would have given you the stock file back and not charged you but yet you wait till I leave and bc your wife owns your balls you gotta slander Someone else. You sir are not who you portray on here.

Specialize in Gm Ls/Lt tuning as well as the 6l/8l transmission platform. Check out www.justinwhitetuned.com. Feel free to inbox me with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
954 Posts
And if 500 isn't such a big deal u wouldn't have wasted this much time writing this up. You were clearly satisfied. You even told your friends you were. Then boom. It shifts funny and has an ses light and all of a sudden you can't find time t finish the tuning? Funny how that works. Claimed you never even read the file in the car yet you have pics of it lmfao. Your a liar and a crook.

Specialize in Gm Ls/Lt tuning as well as the 6l/8l transmission platform. Check out www.justinwhitetuned.com. Feel free to inbox me with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Also you were told to have fresh plugs. I have all he messages where you even said you knew but didn't have time to do them. God why would you lie about such trivial bullshit?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Other funny thing is you claimed you wanted the refund bc you didn't want the car tuned so again lie on sir. You are incredible. Funny thing is everyone else was more than happy with the work and service I provided. You are literally the only person to ever claim I didn't provide proper service. Why agree to finish remote if you didn't plan to?

1 - 20 of 178 Posts