Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
signed up for an HPDE due to some arm twisting by my good friends at Summit Point (Jefferson) with PCA Potomac. Had an excellent day. For prep, I had my trans and diff fluids flushed, motul 660 brake fluid, got new rotors since my originals had 52k miles on them, and some carbotech pads xp10/8. I run super sports and they were fairly new. On bedding the carbotechs...you really have to beat the shit out of these to bed them. I tried to bed them the day before but northern va is hard to find room to do it proper. Luckily after morning classroom, the morning exercises were a bunch of braking exercises so they got worked in on the track. My instructor Chuck was amazing. Really pushed me to drive extremely hard (which I wanted to do anyway). We did some slalom and skid pad. Then the afternoon was 1 ride along and 2 driving sessions on jefferson. There were 12 people in my group. 11 porsches and me! :cool: Let me say the V was slaying out there. I did not get passed in the first session until I boiled the brake fluid and had to pit. Screw motul 660. I was really pissed it put me in a bad situation and ruined the end of my first stint. We bled the brakes and get the car back out for the 2nd stint. I capped my straight speeds at ~100mph and lengthened the braking zones and we concentrated on lines and turn exits. Probably dropped 3 seconds a lap to keep the brake fluid alive. Still I only got passed by one 911 and he seemed to know what he was doing. I got some friendly ribbing from the porsche people about the v and some nice comments. That club is run like a well oiled machine. I was super impressed with everyone the whole day and the event was awesome. I can't be complimentary enough about them. I'm not really a porsche guy but damn it would be worth it just for that club. All in all I don't really think the v is a good long term race car. It's fast as hell no doubt but it is so hard on parts, particularly brakes. I had an absolute blast though, most fun I've ever had in a car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cool, sounds fun. How are IAT2's when doing track racing? Is there a temperature point you should back off?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, sounds fun. How are IAT2's when doing track racing? Is there a temperature point you should back off?
All morning, ride along and first driving session were fine. I think the car got heat soaked pretty bad between the first and second sessions when we were bleeding the brakes. It was pulling timing in the top of third in the second session. My tuner has it set to pull timing at a certain IAT2, so it must have been pretty hot for the second session. I run about 14-15psi, probably too much for extended track sessions.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Glad you had fun, taking a V to a PC event is ballsy, I like your style. PCA runs a good show and they usually have good instructors as well. The V is so heavy, so brakes will always be an issue on track days.
Make sure you go back!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you had fun, taking a V to a PC event is ballsy, I like your style. PCA runs a good show and they usually have good instructors as well. The V is so heavy, so brakes will always be an issue on track days.
Make sure you go back!
haha nah it wasn't bad. I met a bunch of them at a party and they invited me. Probably trying to bring me over to the dark side (doing a good job too, lol). I was ready for the brakes. The carbotech pads performed great with the R1 concepts, but I guess I will have to buy the fluid worth its weight in gold. I would definitely go again and I have plenty of pad left so all I would need is a brake fluid flush.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I run motul in my track car and never had a problem. Try Castrol SRF to see if that helps, you may have had some contamination during the last flush causing the boil. Glad that you moved the braking zones up to work with the problem and stay on track.

When I bring my Vagon to the track it is the prettiest girl there and people always want a ride in it, this from all sorts or different car owners. Love seeing different cars on track, I don't judge unless it is a lemon's type shitbox.

Check out FlyingV's road race thread your cock can only get so hard after reading his thread.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How did your tires hold up?
Front outside edges took the most abuse. Not horrible degradation but you can tell they aren't new now. About what I expected. It was super cold in the morning. 23F at sunrise. I think it got up to 48F later. So I had them at about 38psi the night before as I knew it would be cold.
I run motul in my track car and never had a problem. Try Castrol SRF to see if that helps, you may have had some contamination during the last flush causing the boil. Glad that you moved the braking zones up to work with the problem and stay on track.

When I bring my Vagon to the track it is the prettiest girl there and people always want a ride in it, this from all sorts or different car owners. Love seeing different cars on track, I don't judge unless it is a lemon's type shitbox.

Check out FlyingV's road race thread your cock can only get so hard after reading his thread.
agree on all points!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts