Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to drop in a set of ported heads and will use Johnson 2110 lifters. What should I set my preload at?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
.050 is what most including myself run but i chatted the owner of Johnson and he said he preffered .035 which is what the Copo camaro has. But they have around .210 of plunger travel so .050 is fine.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.050 is what most including myself run but i chatted the owner of Johnson and he said he preffered .035 which is what the Copo camaro has. But they have around .210 of plunger travel so .050 is fine.
Thanks! I reached out to them and they also recommended 0.035. Is there a technique to make sure that I dial in the correct preload? Any tools I can use to measure it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Bad V is right on the .035 from Johnson but they also say +/- .010. Al at Manton recommended .040 preload. I also used his pushrods. Measure all your intake and exhaust holes for correct pushrod length. He had to make four different lengths for me. I thought was very strange but get it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The lifter has plenty of travel to offset the differences you find from hole to hole mine were a feww thou off here and there i went with the higher number and added .050 so some are a bit lighter.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You dont need 4 different lengths unless you go to a short travel lifter. The 2110 is not short travel
true but not every valve with be exactly the same height. In turn that means when reaching 22 ft lbs of torque you'll end up with a variance of pre-load on lifters with all the same size push rods. That being said , the lsa top end i just finished up with 3/8 push rods took a bit of time swapping rocker arms back and forth to get all them very close and ended up with between .38-.45 of pre-load with mamo ported 255's , trunion upgrade rockers and trickflow 3.900 3/8" push rods.

This will vary from engine to engine.

·
Vendor
12,860 Posts
true but not every valve with be exactly the same height. In turn that means when reaching 22 ft lbs of torque you'll end up with a variance of pre-load on lifters with all the same size push rods. That being said , the lsa top end i just finished up with 3/8 push rods took a bit of time swapping rocker arms back and forth to get all them very close and ended up with between .38-.45 of pre-load with mamo ported 255's , trunion upgrade rockers and trickflow 3.900 3/8" push rods.

This will vary from engine to engine.
A lifter that will accept variance of .005-.008 or so will allow using all one length without issue. I have done builds with short travel lifters and 12 different pushrod lengths but the truth is that it just isn't necessary on a .200 travel lifter. You will have zero issue with the .008 variance running a 2110.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A lifter that will accept variance of .005-.008 or so will allow using all one length without issue. I have done builds with short travel lifters and 12 different pushrod lengths but the truth is that it just isn't necessary on a .200 travel lifter. You will have zero issue with the .008 variance running a 2110.
exactly my conclusion after installing them. Very time consuming experience. Though , what i did have an issue with is a few push rods i ordered were all .015 long . iirc i returned two sets before finally going with manley's . the trickflow and one other brand were longer than ordered. I recall sbc pushrods using something of that nature. Canton were a bit of a wait and the manleys were on hand locally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts