Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Is this the sign of the leaking fitting on top of the gas tank?

5K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  caddycrack 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Does it smell like gas? I'll bet it does and I'll bet it is.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
that was my first thought but the seal and surrounding area is dry.

that was my first thought but the seal and surrounding area is dry.
Also the stain is above the exhaust shield

Your V has magic grease like a JFK bullet? It slings BEHIND the heat shield?
Your V has magic grease like a JFK bullet? It slings BEHIND the heat shield?
Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Bumper Motor vehicle

Well I think it has run some behind heat shield but the diff seal is in line with the end of the heat shield.

Shhh... don't interrupt people hearing only what they want to be true.

It's true I don't want it to be a gas leak. I am open to that possibility. I'm just not convinced it is.

#6 ·
Get a flashlight - the stain is probably reaching up the side of the tank. The gas may have evaporated, depending on how long the car was sitting, so you're seeing the residual.

#13 ·
The “classic” presentation that most speak of finding, and then tracing to the “fuel Hat repair” looks very much like this

With evidence of fuel and fuel staining on the passenger side of the tank.
What you’ve got going on, with evidence of fuel over the enTIRE tank is EXPONENTIALLY more involved than the classic micro-crack in the fitting.
You need to GET THAT SHIT FIXED, Right NOW.

just an opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Shhh... don't interrupt people hearing only what they want to be true.

#21 ·
It's true I don't want it to be a gas leak. I am open to that possibility. I'm just not convinced it is.
That's good! Photos don't always tell the whole story so both options are plausible and at the end of the day everyone here is just taking an educated guess based on limited information. Even looking at the photos makes it look "sorta" like there could be flung diff oil on the exhaust pipes from the front seal, etc. But the stains on the tank still look very suspicious; I'd certainly investigate both even if you determine the diff seal is actually leaking.

In other words we could all be right - it could be the fuel line fitting, the diff seal or both! Wouldn't that make for a great day!

All I can suggest is to get up under there with a flashlight and start poking around. But, as with every great mystery, you better tell us how it ends! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.