Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
Does it smell like gas? I'll bet it does and I'll bet it is.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it smell like gas? I'll bet it does and I'll bet it is.

It doesn't smell like gas and it doesn't look like gas. It is more like a sticky oil. i just wiped it with a paper towel and had my wife smell it, in case i can't smell any thing. she said it doesn't smell like anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be the seal from that diff.
that was my first thought but the seal and surrounding area is dry.

that was my first thought but the seal and surrounding area is dry.
Also the stain is above the exhaust shield

Your V has magic grease like a JFK bullet? It slings BEHIND the heat shield?
Your V has magic grease like a JFK bullet? It slings BEHIND the heat shield?
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Well I think it has run some behind heat shield but the diff seal is in line with the end of the heat shield.

Shhh... don't interrupt people hearing only what they want to be true.

It's true I don't want it to be a gas leak. I am open to that possibility. I'm just not convinced it is.

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
Get a flashlight - the stain is probably reaching up the side of the tank. The gas may have evaporated, depending on how long the car was sitting, so you're seeing the residual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get a flashlight - the stain is probably reaching up the side of the tank. The gas may have evaporated, depending on how long the car was sitting, so you're seeing the residual.

The car sat all winter so I think what your saying is a good call. I mean what else could it be coming from up high.
Car only has 14000 miles but I guess things go bad when you don't use them. Sure do hate to have to cut a hole in the floor.

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
When it gets worse I will.
You really think gas seeping from your tank is the kind of thing you push off fixing? It's only a plastic bag full of accelerant near hot exhaust pipes with fumes that stagnate under the car when idling pushing a highly combustible substance through a cracked plastic elbow at 60psi...

What could go wrong?

Waiting for the plastic elbow to fail completely at the least convenient time is definitely a good call. Think about it....

·
Registered
238 Posts
You really think gas seeping from your tank is the kind of thing you push off fixing? It's only a plastic bag full of accelerant near hot exhaust pipes with fumes that stagnate under the car when idling pushing a highly combustible substance through a cracked plastic elbow at 60psi...

What could go wrong?

Waiting for the plastic elbow to fail completely at the least convenient time is definitely a good call. Think about it....

Hopefully these V’s have that metal plate below the driver seat to save us like DiNero’s classic boat did.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,100 Posts
The “classic” presentation that most speak of finding, and then tracing to the “fuel Hat repair” looks very much like this

With evidence of fuel and fuel staining on the passenger side of the tank.
What you’ve got going on, with evidence of fuel over the enTIRE tank is EXPONENTIALLY more involved than the classic micro-crack in the fitting.
You need to GET THAT SHIT FIXED, Right NOW.

just an opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The “classic” presentation that most speak of finding, and then tracing to the “fuel Hat repair” looks very much like this

With evidence of fuel and fuel staining on the passenger side of the tank.
What you’ve got going on, with evidence of fuel over the enTIRE tank is EXPONENTIALLY more involved than the classic micro-crack in the fitting.
You need to GET THAT SHIT FIXED, Right NOW.

just an opinion

So my pics aren't very good but the stain is just on the inside edges and a horse shoe around. It doesn't go to the top of tank and it's in line with the diff. seal. I'm thinking papi might be right. It's still under investigation.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,100 Posts
Well, cool then. I see both tank bottoms shiny as if wet with fuel, if that’s not accurate, then I’ll sit back
down...

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,100 Posts
How often do you wax your tanks?

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
Shhh... don't interrupt people hearing only what they want to be true.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts