Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did my own pulley install and there was a metallic whine happening that forced me to remove the snout and evaluate the situation. Facebook land is leading me to believe that it's either the isolator pushing/forcing the supercharger rotors too far to the back or the bearings in the snout are bad.

The supercharger and snout was just replaced by Cadillac in Vegas before I did the pulley job.

Please listen to the sound the snout shaft makes in the video below and let me know what you think.

I used this isolator and it took serious pressure to get it on the snout and also out of the supercharger.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Is there any play in the pulley (horizontal/vertical or in/out) with the snout off? How about when the snout was bolted on? It kind of looks like that in the video, but it's hard to tell. The camera is moving as your spinning the pulley with your other hand. Take a longer video and place the camera down next to the snout so it's stationary fancing front.
The iso shouldn't of been that hard to put on/take off, although I had to mill out the holes a tiny bit on a metco iso(Lingenfelter is much better) ...
What size pulley? It kind of sounds like the pulley is rubbing against the sc shaft on the inside, or could be the bearings

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it was attached the only movement was rotation

But I'll do another video anyway

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

This sounds good, right?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is there any play in the pulley (horizontal/vertical or in/out) with the snout off? How about when the snout was bolted on? It kind of looks like that in the video, but it's hard to tell. The camera is moving as your spinning the pulley with your other hand. Take a longer video and place the camera down next to the snout so it's stationary fancing front.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First half of this vid sounds fine, 2nd half Def something strange...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Which one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
if the isolator is too tight it can cause the shafts to bind up and ruin bearings. when you had the snout on the supercharger did everything spin freely? theres a few write ups on here about the isolator being too tight. i just did one not too long ago comparing the metco and LPE/eaton isolator. hope this helps...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put the original isolator in just for troubleshooting and the same noise is occurring

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put the original isolator in just for troubleshooting and the same noise is occurring

The only thing you changed was the pulley/isolator? Since you've remove the isolator that you installed and the noise became apparent after then I would suspect something with the pulley. Did you have any issues installing it? I'm not sure who's post I recently saw but someone here recently had some issues getting the pulley installed. Did you use a press and force the hell out of it to get it on the snout?

I wonder if the output shaft of the snout was moved at all and is now pushing on the isolator causing it to push against the bearing/input shaft of the blower.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing you changed was the pulley/isolator? Since you've remove the isolator that you installed and the noise became apparent after then I would suspect something with the pulley. Did you have any issues installing it? I'm not sure who's post I recently saw but someone here recently had some issues getting the pulley installed. Did you use a press and force the hell out of it to get it on the snout?

I wonder if the output shaft of the snout was moved at all and is now pushing on the isolator causing it to push against the bearing/input shaft of the blower.
It was a serious PITA getting it off; putting the pulley on was easy.

I'm getting superchargers online in Simi Valley to replace the bearings out as I can't see a brand new supercharger have a bearing fail immediately after installing the snout.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They did a really good job.

A follow up to a previous issue.

2012 Black Sedan A6, Airaid, Borla Axleback, AMD Griptec 2.50" Upper, 402 Dyno LLC Flex Fuel Sensor, ID1050Xs, NGK TR7IX plugs, Pat G Tuning... 571 whp at 6090rpm; 562 torq at 3990 rpm on a DynoJet

Sent from a Tapatalk capable Samsung Note 5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts