Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED !Is this A-pillar squeak acceptable or unacceptable in your opinion? 2014 CTS-V wagon

So I've had this creak coming from the chassis/apillar area since driving off the lot. I've had it in to the dealer for the rattle/squeak 3 times, and this last time the service manager decided to have the a-pillar removed and to let me drive around for a while to see if it continued. Unfortunately it has not disappeared and continues to squeak under chassis flex especially under left hand turns or doing circles in a parking lot..

All the videos are located here :

https://plus.google.com/photos/102046385214554961345/albums/5993742252177086113?authkey=CJC194Dj6fXQMg

The dealer insists they cannot replicate the issue, yet I can replicate it in their parking lot just driving in circles. The chassis gets a lot more flex in my neighborhood because it has a lot of hills.

So far the Service Dept Manager has neglected 2 of my emails (which he asked me to send him) with attached videos and I'm still driving around without the a-pillar trim for the past 6 days. Last time I was at the dealer for 2 hours waiting just to have the a-pillar popped out. The Service Manager has neglected my emails with the videos.

I'm going to assume a spot weld or something is wonky chassis wise. Either way I don't expect my current dealer to be able to do something about it. (Martin Cadillac, Santa Monica CA). They've got 4 more visits before I'd be eligible lemon law and i'd HATE TO for such a stupid issue, but there are NO replacements available. I purchased my V wagon knowing it was one of the last V8s coming down the line....

Am I being overly picky or would this drive you insane too? Its a $80,000 brand new car with less than 1500 miles!

This has been solved thanks to Rsutton1223 for the help! This is a KNOWN TSB with a SIMPLE fix!

At the dealer now. Did they mention this at all to you? View attachment 13269
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
If you get this figured out please post a solution. I have it on the driver's side and it is driving me crazy. I was going to start stripping the car apart tonight. Mine sounds like it is closer to the windshield in the actual dash.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you get this figured out please post a solution. I have it on the driver's side and it is driving me crazy. I was going to start stripping the car apart tonight. Mine sounds like it is closer to the windshield in the actual dash.
I will definitely keep this updated. Its been driving me batty, so much so, that I cannot drive the car with the stereo off or windows up. I added two new videos taken this morning to my picasa album of the issue. They are at the bottom of the album. As seen, I can replicate the issue just by turning around in a flat parking lot.

https://plus.google.com/photos/102046385214554961345/albums/5993742252177086113?authkey=CJC194Dj6fXQMg

So much for my idea of it being the sound insulation foam (which is only on the bottom of the A-pillar).
I suspected the foam used to wrap the connectors ironically for sound insulation. This connector is actually on a longer wire and folded into the bottom of the a-pillar. When rubbed with your finger or sandwhiched against something and rubbed, the foam makes a very familiar squeak sound...

I will check the passenger side and see if any of that foam exists up top near the airbag.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
That is exactly what I having. I am in the process of sound deadening the entire car for my audio build out anyway...so I was just going to hope for the best. It is awful annoying driving around.

·
here nor there
4,201 Posts
I thought GM intentionally put these noises in all their vehicles.

I'm not sure you can "lemon law" for a noise. Maybe in California. I believe for it to be eligible for lemon law it has to be a drivability issue or a safety issue. A creaking noise isn't either of those.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow that doesn't even sound like a squeak. That's like the dash isn't fastened down on that side and moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
My service writers have always gone for a ride if I can duplicate a problem -- they've "fixed" the swaybar mounts now 3 times!

At least when the noise happens with them in the car they can't just say 'couldn't duplicate' -- will yours not go for a ride?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought GM intentionally put these noises in all their vehicles.

I'm not sure you can "lemon law" for a noise. Maybe in California. I believe for it to be eligible for lemon law it has to be a drivability issue or a safety issue. A creaking noise isn't either of those.
It states in CA
A problem car's owner can be entitled to a comparable replacement, or a refund of the purchase price (prorated based on the miles driven). Under California lemon law, there are a few qualifications:

The car must still be under warranty
The owner must have taken the car in for repair of the same problem 4 times or more through an authorized dealer
The car must have been inoperable for a total of 30 days (not necessarily consecutive)
The problem or defect must also substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. To qualify, cars must be either purchased or leased in California for personal, family, or business use.
I tend to agree with you, and like I said, I DO NOT want a new car. Hell GM couldn't locate a CTS-V Wagon with an LSA if they tried right now anyway, and if they did, it would have a huge markup on it. I want my car, the one I just bought!

However considering the car has built in a built in "sound cancelling" bose system in it, one could easily say the use value AND safety is impaired. I cannot sell it like this thats for damn sure! , it surely isn't a standard noise or feature of the car for use, and as far as safety, GM would have to prove that a body tack weld or something is not loose if I were to take it that far.

per cadillacs site:
Cadillac went to great lengths to quiet the cabin, including using Bose® Active Noise Cancellation. It actively monitors powertrain noise and sends out opposing non-audible frequencies through the speakers to help reduce these sounds.
Nevertheless, the first time I brought the car in, the service receipt states in regards to the noise:

Service 1. Customer States Passenger Side A Pillar making rattling noise - Loose Trim, Resecure trim
Service 2. Customer States Passenger Side A Pillar making rattling noise - Resecure Dash Trim retainers.
Service 3. Customer States Passenger Side A Pillar making rattling noise - A-pillar removed. (not on file/paperwork, which is something I should have requested.)

Basically, they removed the a-pillar trim and popped it back on. Nothing has been replaced/lubed or worked on.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
First off, find a new dealer. Secondly those squeaks are hard to chase down sometimes but a good tech whose savvy at chasing squeaks and rattles down should be able to root cause it for you. Sadly though it sometimes takes total interior year down to find and I usually end up living with it instead of them doing surgery. I have a new '14 and have my share of squeaks and rattles (one on pass side glove box area and one on sunroof shade). Nature of the beast on this '08 platform. Like other said, sometimes, dynamat ting the shit out of things helps

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that doesn't even sound like a squeak. That's like the dash isn't fastened down on that side and moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes thank god its not me being overly picky. Its loud enough to address if it was on a classic car, let alone a brand new 2014 with 1500 miles! Every passenger has noticed it and tried to help me isolate it. There's not a single touchable surface that can eliminate or dampen the noise. We've tried holding down every surface from the rear door to the speaker grill on top of the dash. Its got to be a bad spot-weld in the A-pillar area, or the actual inside of the dash rubbing the a-pillar.

The biggest thing that worries me is that the dealer is going to play the "cannot replicate" game with me or "within specifcation" game. Thats why I've been taking these videos....

I'm do not want to let up, but I'm afraid that the dealership simply doesn't have the technology nor care to fix the the problem. I have taken their service foreman for a ride and he heard it, and said that he was unable to replicate it upon replacing the A-pillar. The moment I picked it up, I drove around the block, and it was happening immediately. I took it right back for the 2nd visit and they put me right back in a loaner again.

2.5 weeks with a loaner so far and I'm currently driving around without the trim. Very frustrating

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, find a new dealer. Secondly those squeaks are hard to chase down sometimes but a good tech whose savvy at chasing squeaks and rattles down should be able to root cause it for you. Sadly though it sometimes takes total interior year down to find and I usually end up living with it instead of them doing surgery. I have a new '14 and have my share of squeaks and rattles (one on pass side glove box area and one on sunroof shade). Nature of the beast on this '08 platform. Like other said, sometimes, dynamat ting the shit out of things helps
I'm using the same dealership (Martin Group) because thats who sold me the car but perhaps you're right. A full dash teardown scares me a bit.. A full tear down will likely only cause worse rattles in the long-term life of the car. its a catch22 of sorts.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
It's under the dash whatever it is...at least mine is. The only way I even got it quieter was putting a pillow over that vent (with the a pillar still on). That tells me some thing is loose in that area whether it be a clip or something else. I was planning on Dynamating a lot of that area anyway so hopefully it takes care of it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I literally took all the videos I have made of the a-pillar noise and mastered a DVD and placed it in the NAV unit for the service guys and advisor to hear the sound through the speakers, just how obnoxious it can get.

Dropped the car off this morning for the 4th time to resolve the A-pillar issue. I will test drive the car for a good 30 minutes around the dealer before signing any paperwork this time.

I got my fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
I literally took all the videos I have made of the a-pillar noise and mastered a DVD and placed it in the NAV unit for the service guys and advisor to hear the sound through the speakers, just how obnoxious it can get.

Dropped the car off this morning for the 4th time to resolve the A-pillar issue. I will test drive the car for a good 30 minutes around the dealer before signing any paperwork this time.

I got my fingers crossed!
Let me know what happens. Might help me track down mine on the driver's side.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
There is a division at GM that is supposed to work on these types of things. It's something like noise and vibration. A friend had a G8 that made some loud clunk and the dealer gave him the run around, but the noise and vibration or whatever people got involved and Bob Lutz ended up calling him to tell him he could get a new G8.

·
Premium Member
17,292 Posts
Wow...Ben Brady and I had identical wagons made at about the same time. Mine is flawless from a squeak and noise perspective. I guess I got lucky. My first wagon was solid as well. I wonder what the rate of owners that report squeaks and rattles is?

From Tap uh talk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a division at GM that is supposed to work on these types of things. It's something like noise and vibration. A friend had a G8 that made some loud clunk and the dealer gave him the run around, but the noise and vibration or whatever people got involved and Bob Lutz ended up calling him to tell him he could get a new G8.
The Service Foreman mentioned that GM has a group that deals with this specifically and uses a device to locate and pinpoint sounds, but I thought he was just blowing smoke. It will be interesting to see what they end up doing this time in the work order..

Now if only Bob Lutz can call me and offer me the last CTS-V V8 Wagon off the production line, I'll be set ;)

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Hear anything back from the dealer yet? I went through today and applied Dynamat to the front speaker grill plastic and the A-pillar. Creaking still there which makes me think it is below that area.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Just did another test drive.

Took the air conditioning vent out on that side completely along with the panel on the side of the dash. That didn't make it any louder. 1/2 through the drive I took the a pillar out. That made the noise noticeably louder.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts