Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This last Sunday I bought a 2012 diamond tri-coat black CTS-V sedan. The car has 33k on it and is in almost perfect shape, opted to go the CPO route to get a better warranty.

Anyways I took the car to the dealership I bought it from so they could do there inspection, I fully thought they would tell me I needed a new supercharger because mine rattles pretty good. (You can hardly hear it inside the car at idle but out side it's pretty bad and with the hood opened its loud).

the dealer I took it to told me GM is no longer replacing them because the replacements are even worse? This seems to contradict everything I have read online? Wondering if they just told me that because there ass would be on the line if they sold me a CPO car that needed a supercharger?

I am taking it to another caddy dealership in the area tomorrow to see what they say but was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience or what your thoughts are?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hello all,

This last Sunday I bought a 2012 diamond tri-coat black CTS-V sedan. The car has 33k on it and is in almost perfect shape, opted to go the CPO route to get a better warranty.

Anyways I took the car to the dealership I bought it from so they could do there inspection, I fully thought they would tell me I needed a new supercharger because mine rattles pretty good. (You can hardly hear it inside the car at idle but out side it's pretty bad and with the hood opened its loud).

the dealer I took it to told me GM is no longer replacing them because the replacements are even worse? This seems to contradict everything I have read online? Wondering if they just told me that because there ass would be on the line if they sold me a CPO car that needed a supercharger?

I am taking it to another caddy dealership in the area tomorrow to see what they say but was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience or what your thoughts are?
There is a new PI....PIP5192B I believe...which dealers are HEAVILY leaning on to state noise is normal and they will not replace the supercharger til an updated PI/TSB comes out (whenever the hell that happens)...

the issue is this PI ONLY APPLIES TO:

2014 or newer LSA
2009-2013 LSA that have had a GM warrantly replacement supercharger installed AFTER November 2013

Ask a favor and run your VIN through GM's system. it will detail EVERY single time the car was ever at a dealer service department for ANYTHING.

If your history shows ZERO supercharger replacments or reimbursements for supercharger service (as noted in earlier service bulletin)...then this updated PI DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Tell your dealer to learn how to read and then to promptly pound sand.

Reactions: Chevyboy_erik

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Thats BS, I bought my car a few months ago and had the dealer replace mine before I signed the dotted line.
I have a mechanic's stethoscope...so i scoped my snout and all pulleys on cold start, as the car was warming up, once it was at operating temp (~200) and once after knocking the socks off it on the highway...I could not hear ANY noise...

...So before it becomes an issue I am having the isolator/coupler replaced on my own.

Warranty doesn't mean a damn thing if the closest dealer that will actually service the car is 2hrs away

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
There is a new PI....PIP5192B I believe...which dealers are HEAVILY leaning on to state noise is normal and they will not replace the supercharger til an updated PI/TSB comes out (whenever the hell that happens)...
This is incorrect. PIP5192B applies to the new SC. So it goes like this. If you have an old SC (can tell by taking the belt off and rotating the pulley. It will have slack/play in it) then you can get a replacement under the special coverage 13313. After said replacement the new SC will most likely have a buzz sound at around 800-900 RPM this is "normal" for now under PIP5192B and will not be replaced. If your SC has been replaced under 13313 it has a solid ISO already in it and replacing it with an aftermarket should make no difference. Hell even LPE is selling the new GM design as aftermarket.

Look in the TSB section on the forum for the post about both of these.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This is incorrect. PIP5192B applies to the new SC.
No...it's perfectly correct. This is what dealers are leaning on to make this determination...old or new...but if you had read down 2 more lines you'd see that...

fubar569 said:
the issue is this PI ONLY APPLIES TO:

2014 or newer LSA
2009-2013 LSA that have had a GM warrantly replacement supercharger installed AFTER November 2013

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
No...it's perfectly correct. This is what dealers are leaning on to make this determination...old or new...but if you had read down 2 more lines you'd see that...
I think you missed my point here. These are two different issues and two different sounds all together and if a dealer is trying to say that an old SC should not be replaced under 13313 because of PIP5192B then they are full of shit and I would A. take it to a another dealer B. call/email GM CS. PIP5192B is not a replacement for 13313.

Lingenfelter Supercharger Isolator Coupling LS9 LSA Engine 2009-2014 - Lingenfelter Performance

^This is your solution.
Just wounding how is this the solution to the PIP5192B sound when this is the ISO that is already in the new SC?

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
stegall is correct- there is 2 bulletins, one for 2014 V's and those which have already had SC replaced stating some noise is normal and for all others which falls under the special coverage warranty

·
Premium Member
2016 ATS-V
3,675 Posts
All the SB number bullshit aside, the warranty for the supercharger was extended by years and 120,000 miles for all cars regardless of CPO status. Perhaps they are getting more picky about replace just because of noise, which I can see, but if you're bearing or something else goes wrong you are still covered. The other choice is to mod it yourself but then if you do blow the bearings you are SOL for getting a new blower. Id live with the noise until it affects performance, unless you can do all of your own wrenching in which case do whatever you want.

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
revenouse also correct- if you are KEEPING THE CAR STOCK just leave it all alone and see what happens.

If you are modifying the car you will be losing your warranty anyhow and part of the normal modifications is to install the solid iso

I assume you are keeping it stock otherwise why bother with all that CPO stuff

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
^^^ This is true, regardless the SC is warranted for 120K or 10 years on ALL cars.

·
Dick Pickles
5,973 Posts
Just wounding how is this the solution to the PIP5192B sound when this is the ISO that is already in the new SC?
It's not the same as the GM one. I suggest keeping the older blower (they seem to be less noisy, both of mine are silent.) and throwing in an aftermarket Solid Iso.

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
It's not the same as the GM one. I suggest keeping the older blower (they seem to be less noisy, both of mine are silent.) and throwing in an aftermarket Solid Iso.
I would only do this if modifying the car, if you are keeping it stock it makes no sense to potentially void your warranty just because you swapped out the isolator yourself- even if it is beneficial

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I swear I remember seeing a post that someone opened up a new SC and the ISO look just like the LPE one.

·
Dick Pickles
5,973 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I swear I remember seeing a post that someone opened up a new SC and the ISO look just like the LPE one.
It does look like it. I honestly don't know the exact difference. I just think the older blowers are less likely to have issues. It seems most of the newer blowers are the "noisy" ones.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I did a poll awhile ago and most people with the replacement SC don not have any noise. I had mine replaced and 0 noise. My service manager also said the last one he did they had to replace it 3 times until they got a quiet one. Considering your mileage I would have it changed by GM. If the noise it makes now doesn't bother you the minor noise that you may or may not end up with certainly won't bother you. Plus many of the replacement blowers are producing more boost (for some yet unknown reason) and a power increase is both noticeable and has been proven on the dyno.

·
Dick Pickles
5,973 Posts
Plus many of the replacement blowers are producing more boost (for some yet unknown reason) and a power increase is both noticeable and has been proven on the dyno.
Could this be due to an improperly adjusted Boost Bypass Valve?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Zero noise on my new one. The original one made so much noise on shut down, it made my car sound like a complete pile of shit.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.