Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to Costco. Really wanted the AGM H6/48 battery. All they had was the old technology lead acid. Oh well. I will put a battery mat under it to absorb anything...

I was a fan of Diehard back in the day. But over the past 10 years, they sucked.
Autozone batteries are about 1/4" smaller, and they flop around in the hold-down. I learned a lesson in my Tahoe.

We'll see how this one works out.

My OEM battery is 2014, still going.. But definitely getting weak.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I’m not sure if it will affect car folks but I just cleared out the deep cycle inventory at an Interstate dealer in Casper. They’re on national backorder and I am on the wait list for more as soon as they get them in stock.

It would probably be wise for anyone with an aging battery to start shopping now before it starts getting really cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
Not sure if it's a nationwide retailer or not, but around here there are stores called Batteries+, and they have always had good deals on AGM batteries. Of course, I bought mine a couple years ago, so I can't comment on the current status of availability (or price).

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Edro

·
Registered
822 Posts
We have Batteries Plus as well here in OK. That’s where I got the X2 Power for the V and the big Odyssey that’s in my truck.

My orders in WY are for batteries for O&G meter skids so it’s a slightly different application but if lead supply is the issue then we will all get affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
All they had was the old technology lead acid. Oh well. I will put a battery mat under it to absorb anything..

Bad Idea! The point of using AGM is that they don't vent hydrogen gas unless they produce hydrogen gas faster than the mat can adsorb it. As where wet cells produce it any time during charging. With the battery in the car that's a bad thing. Also I bought the factor vent fits the wet cell.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clamp with the double due-hicky thingy. Is that the side clamp, or the rear clamp facing the rear of the vehicle ? I wasn't paying attention when I pulled it apart......

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or youi can get a sealed AC/Delco like the one that came on it. They also make an AGM, which is what I run on the wife's Yukon XL It uses the same battery as my V did. Don't buy anything that is not sealed. Which is most conventional batteries out there. Everything will corrode. Guaranteed.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I just put a Walmart in mine. Core 5.00. Three Year battery was 125.00. I thought it would be difficult to install. Like taking Candy from a Baby. Made sure the Vent Tube was in place. We dont want Acid or vapor issues. Do we??? The clamps were pretty easy. Good job GM. When you have five toys.... Walmart can be a GOOD alternative, when talking batteries. .

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Still running the original batteries in both my 2011 V and C6 that were put in service in 2010. Still going strong.
I just changed my original in service since 2010 like you. Installed the the replacement AC Delco for $169.00.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Walmart can be a GOOD alternative, when talking batteries. .
Walmart is great for batteries, better than most that cost way more. Mine would have one but when my ACDelco died it was still under the free replacement warranty. That should tell you something though... Most of my stuff gets Walmart batteries. There's only a few actual battery manufacturers anyway.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Most battery manufacturing is done in Mexico these days. The EPA ran them out of the country. There are speciality batteries that come from Japan and Germany. I currently have an AGM in my V from Autozone that is made in Germany.

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
it seems the OEM at the factory levels get good batteries, the original always seems to last a real long time
except the V- if you dont keep it plugged in or drive that car at least one a week or so anything over 3 years is good

·
Registered
287 Posts
There's only a few actual battery manufacturers anyway.
Perhaps years ago, this statement was relevant. Today, contract manufactures or foundry will build to the customers specs. Same factory will produce OEM grade and dollar store grade. Trick is finding the brand that specs the good components/performance. Back to you get what you pay for in most cases.

Caveat emptor

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.