Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week the engine developed an intermittent squeaking.

It has been doing mostly when warm.

I can't tell if it belt or a pulley bearing going bad.

I've removed the belt and there is a little play in the DSX 100mm tension pulley but what I find odd is if I spin it by hand, it doesn't spin freely very long. There is less than 10k miles on it. Should it spin freely longer?

I've attached a video.

I have a very new AC belt.

Trying to make sure things are right before driving for Thanksgiving.

Ideas to check?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the play.

I'm a little disappointed that this DSX is less than a year old with maybe 10k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
The spin part looks good to me. It spins just right IMO.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I'm sure someone on here with a DSX pulley can confirm if the play is normal or not.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure someone on here with a DSX pulley can confirm if the play is normal or not.
I talked with Cal, and he said not.

Going to send email to DSX. In the meantime, a buddy has a one, same thing happened to him around same miles, and I will get one from them to repay him.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's pretty shitty, you have a bearing shop near by? Kaman bearing is right down the road from me... Could get a real nice quality bearing for 10 or 15 bucks and replace.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pretty shitty, you have a bearing shop near by? Kaman bearing is right down the road from me... Could get a real nice quality bearing for 10 or 15 bucks and replace.
Don't really know.

Going to swap out with what my friend has, that is local, get the replacement for mine and give it to him.

He went a different manufacturer direction so he'll have that backup for himself again.

Reactions: northeast ctsv

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just saying if they're all doing this the bearing is the issue, and it could be aleveated with a better one.
I agree with you. However, it is more a manufacturer problem and I just want get it fixed, even if it is short term...now.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of weeks ago, I started hearing an intermittent squeak.

I thought it was part of my mods, specifically the 100mm relocation tensioner. That wasn't it.

The squeak did go away for a while but returned with a vengeance while driving from Tampa Bay FL to North GA for Thanksgiving.

Just to be sure, I pulled the SC loop and it was still there.

Now I need to pull all the belts, looking for that thread with instructions for that, to make sure that it isn't a lifter gone bad like in this thread.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I pulled the main belt.

Squeak still there.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trying to determine if the squeak, that is no longer intermittent, is lifter or spun bearing.

It has been recommended to do a compression test, but then a friend point out that wouldn't reveal a bad lifter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pull the heads, seems like a lifter to me. While you're at it send them out for porting, order some johnson's, and a nice cam. YOLO. My spun bearing in my 402 ls2 didn't make a peep, fwiw.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I have the same squeak--- or at least it sounds the same. I also couldn't find where it's was coming from - pulled the belts, etc... I got underneath the car and listened while it was idlign and it appeared to come from the the back of the engine/front of the tranny (M6) and figured it was the throw out bearing. I had the clutch/T-O bearing replaced and it still didn't go away. I gave up and figured if it was bad, it would rear it's ugly head one way or another. That was over 3 years ago and she's still going strong. The squeak stopped for a long time and has recently come back but not nearly as bad. I have about 110k miles on it and I typically put 12k miles a year.

I just crank up the radio and drive on... :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the same squeak--- or at least it sounds the same. I also couldn't find where it's was coming from - pulled the belts, etc... I got underneath the car and listened while it was idlign and it appeared to come from the the back of the engine/front of the tranny (M6) and figured it was the throw out bearing. I had the clutch/T-O bearing replaced and it still didn't go away. I gave up and figured if it was bad, it would rear it's ugly head one way or another. That was over 3 years ago and she's still going strong. The squeak stopped for a long time and has recently come back but not nearly as bad. I have about 110k miles on it and I typically put 12k miles a year.

I just crank up the radio and drive on... :)
I was poking around with a mechanic's stethoscope and it is strongest by injector #4.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Steady at 39-41 while cruising at 80ish. Will move up with more throttle.

I had my neighbor helping me with speeding up the engine. He said that his eyes were starting to burn a little.

When I was using the stethoscope down low on the block, on the heads at various locations, and same on the valve covers, nothing sounded bad or corresponded to the squeak except up where the SC and heads meet up. And then it sounded loudest by the injector.

I'm trying to get one of my local V buddies over to listen too.

But the norm of human nature is that someone else's problem never means much to others...so getting in person eyes is problematic.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would assume a lifter would resonate up near the injector, remember the lifters are in trays so they shouldn't really resonate to the block, and the valve cover is isolated by a rubber gasket... In by the injector is close to the pushrod and rocker stand.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would assume a lifter would resonate up near the injector, remember the lifters are in trays so they shouldn't really resonate to the block, and the valve cover is isolated by a rubber gasket... In by the injector is close to the pushrod and rocker stand.
That is good information.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts