Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Installing headers at home

23K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Blown376 
#1 ·
I know a lot of guys have done this but I also see lots of guys with amazing garages with power lifts. Any of you guys every installed headers with just some jacks and jack stands? Is it possible to get the leaverage to loosen the bolts? What kind of jacks did you use? Did you need a power tool to loosen the bolts or were you able to muscle it with hand tools? I've done minor car maitenance and repairs and love being in the garage putting on parts myself even if it takes 3 times as long, it's just much more satisfying and want to know if this is a project I could pull off myself. Thanks for the help

#3 ·
I just did a set of sedan headers/midpipe on my back with only hand tools. It can be done. You can take the manifolds and cats out as one if you'd like but you'll have to remove the starter on the passenger side. Don't know if you can leave the starter in if you separate but I think you'd need to remove it for the long tube install anyways

#5 ·
Do yourself a favor, buy plenty of beer, band aids and brush up on your favorite cuss words. I installed mine but I took it to the auto shop and put it on the lift. I would have killed someone if I had done it on jack stands...not because its dangerous, because I would have been more torqued than I already was.

#6 ·
A trick i learned on this forum: if you are having trouble removing plug wires, grip the metal sleeve with vice grips and then pry against them with a prybar. Pops them right off! I am doing headers on a lift, but jack stands can work as well. A long breaker bar will be required for the cat to manifold bolts.

Undoing the O2 sensor connectors was the worst thing for me.

Reactions: Det_Riot
#7 ·
You don't have to remove the starter, but i did have to remove the steering shaft. Just don't rotate the wheels or steering wheel once you separate the shaft.

Bandaids and swearwords in at least three languages helps too.

#9 ·
It isn't that bad as compared to some other shit jobs a V can deal out. Remember to disconnect the battery. I removed my spark plugs as well so I didn't crack one in the process. The things I had the worst time with were the studs off the manifolds to the x pipe, I broke 2. Also remember the position of the steering shaft when you move it from the rack, I heard of trouble if it doesn't go back in the same spot.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I did it with two 3 ton jackstands in front and metal ramps for the rear.

Pulled the starter but I was swapping the cam too. It's easy to do and gives you more room maneuver...you will be maneuverin'.

2 out of the 4 O2 sensors were seized. Hope you have better luck with them.

Have patience and give her a go!

#12 ·
I did ARH 1 7/8" on my back on jack stands by my lonesome without removing the starter. I of course had to unbolt the steering shaft. hardest part for me was the dipstick tube and the getting to the O2 connectors (not sensors) between the engine and firewall to put the O2 extensions in. I would suggest like others...have something to numb your brain. fuck bandaids my car has some permanent blood on the trans tunnel. it gives the car character. I had a week off so I did all my mods over a 1 week period (see my build thread I have some install details) but I would allocate atleast 12 hours for your first time doing it...seriously I could do it again in 6. but the first time is a lot of...do I have to take that off...let me see if I can get away without taking that off...15-30 minutes later. fuck I should've just taken that off in the first place. by the way, spray every bolt on the flange connections with WD40 and separate the cat and manifold on the passenger side. it wont come out without doing that or removing the starter.

#13 ·
I'm about to start tackling this in another hour or so when my car cools down. It'll be done on jack stands in my garage, luckily I have the whole weekend to get it done. I'll update when I'm finished.
Also, quick question, has anyone tried dropping the motor from the under side of the car to get the headers done a little easier? I'm thinking about trying it out but idk.

#14 ·
Did you squirt wd40 or break free on ALL the bolts and let it set for 24 hours? Life will be much easier.

#16 ·
I had my son reach it, he has long skinny arms

#18 ·
I trust that you removed all the coil packs for more space from the top. Replace your plugs if theyre due before hanging the headers, it will be a lot easier. Just don't crack the insulators when positioning the flange and gasket.

#23 ·
I'm in the process of doing kooks 2" longtubes. I found that a long flat head screwdriver helped me with the o2 plugs. I'm 6'4 290 lbs, so not as agile as the guys laying on the motor. lol

for the guys that yanked the starter..... any tips on getting it back on? I alredy broke the power terminal trying to get the wires on first. doesn't look accesable once bolted up? any help appreciated

#24 ·
I would string the starter up with some wire while you connect the terminals then swing it into place.

#28 ·
Jack stands and hand tools here. One of my manifold bolt heads was gone. I needed a vice grip, heat, and PB Blaster for that fucker.

#30 ·
Kooks sent new bolts with their headers. Double check that they don't bottom out on the heads before torquing them to spec. Get shorter bolts instead of adding washers.

#32 ·
I'd reuse stock bolts and just clean the threads and use anti seize.

Torque is only 18ft lbs IIRC, so use a healthy coating of silver or copper RTV on the header side of the gaskets.

Breaking bolts is only from corrosion or over-torquing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.