Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need to help on the tools needed for the install.

So i was told i need to have a Pulley puller (knew that), but also need a 10-ton press of some sort(is this needed), any other parts needed for the install?

I don't mind buying the parts needed to keep in my Man Cave and would be handy to have if any other local forum members ever need help with install.. Also will be Posting a DIY video, like doing DIY videos. :rolleyes::cool::eek:

This is the pulley that i was required by the shop.
Steeda Pulley Puller : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sda-555-8900

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
That steeda puller should work well as it fully supports the pulley across the body as opposed to 2/3 jaw pullers. Just be sure when you press the new one on, you don't press against the coupler alignment pins. Place a solid piece of steel rod in the centre of the hub.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That steeda puller should work well as it fully supports the pulley across the body as opposed to 2/3 jaw pullers. Just be sure when you press the new one on, you don't press against the coupler alignment pins. Place a solid piece of steel rod in the center of the hub.
Thanks for the info..

So since the shop wants almost $1500 for install and tune, its the reason why i am opting to buying equipment for installing this pulley.

So using a 2/3 jaw pullers would be bad i'm assuming? Has any member had any positive support using 2/3 jaw pullers?

Also i am looking at this Press right now, Love Harbor Freight it's like my heavy, and home depot is my sex haha.. :rolleyes:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-shop-press-32879.html
20-ton press from harbor freight.jpg

·
Dick Pickles
5,941 Posts
Thanks for the info..

So since the shop wants almost $1500 for install and tune, its the reason why i am opting to buying equipment for installing this pulley.

So using a 2/3 jaw pullers would be bad i'm assuming? Has any member had any positive support using 2/3 jaw pullers?

Also i am looking at this Press right now, Love Harbor Freight it's like my heavy, and home depot is my sex haha.. :rolleyes:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-shop-press-32879.html
View attachment 9365
Get the Steeda Puller. The 2/3 jaws suck!

The 20 ton press works great. I had one, but gave it to a friend when I moved because I didn't have room at the time.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I used a 3 jaw puller. It twisted up the pulley a bit as it came off and required a bit of heat on the pulley with ice on the shaft to help free it up, but I had it off within 15 minutes or so. I also bought a HF press to do the installation and had no problems there.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
My press is a similar one to the HF one you posted and worked great. Place the pulley in the oven @ 300 degress for 20 mins and it's gonna slide on like butter.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's for all eh great information :) I will go pick up the press tomorrow :) I will have to order the pulley puller also :)

Just picked up a air compressor system a for my man cave, with air tools. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Looking forward to the video. I'll be doing my own over the winter.:cool:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Is there any secret as to how far you push the new pulley on? Or is there a stop on the shaft and you just press until you touch that?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Is there any secret as to how far you push the new pulley on? Or is there a stop on the shaft and you just press until you touch that?
I marked the snout while the stock pulley was still on and pressed the aftermarket on to match up with that marking.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I marked the snout while the stock pulley was still on and pressed the aftermarket on to match up with that marking.
How did you market the snout, and measure the distance by just marking it ?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
How did you market the snout, and measure the distance by just marking it ?

The pulley hangs over the body of the snout, so I used a marker to make a small line directly below that inner edge of the pulley. I just pressed the new pulley until it aligned evenly with the mark from the old pulley when viewed from directly above. Of course, the metco unit is a hub and you don't press the pulley/hub on as one unit, so I would press it on a bit, then hold the pulley over it to see how close it was, then press some more. It is kind of hard to explain, but should be pretty clear with the snout in your hand.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pulley hangs over the body of the snout, so I used a marker to make a small line directly below that inner edge of the pulley. I just pressed the new pulley until it aligned evenly with the mark from the old pulley when viewed from directly above. Of course, the metco unit is a hub and you don't press the pulley/hub on as one unit, so I would press it on a bit, then hold the pulley over it to see how close it was, then press some more. It is kind of hard to explain, but should be pretty clear with the snout in your hand.
Got it i understand.. Perfect, thank you for explaining :)..

Now to order the press and the Steeda Pulley puller.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I did mine with a hydraulic 3 jaw puller. Did mess up the pullet but pulled it off so i was happy. Def takes a lot of force and a little tapping and heating to get it to initially break free.

Pressed it on at room temp with a 12 ton press without any issues at all. Went on easy.

All in all i found the install to be easier than it is portrayed to be by some people.

Cheers

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just picked up my 20 ton, shop press from Harbar fright. Don't mind the mess in the background lol!

Now have to order the pulley puller , new belt, injectors, and call it a day

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Get some practice in so I can ship you mine for a swap :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Get some practice in so I can ship you mine for a swap :)
:) will do man.

But car is shipping out this weekend for body work, and my pulley puller hasn't arrived :( so looks like it will be about 2 months before I get to put the pulley on

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Did you order that pulley puller? Want to let a fellow member rent it for a day? :) I had a shop quote $600 for install + $500 for tune. By the time I bought a puller and press I'd be getting close enough to that $600 level to just let someone else put in the time/risk :)

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Did you order that pulley puller? Want to let a fellow member rent it for a day? :) I had a shop quote $600 for install + $500 for tune. By the time I bought a puller and press I'd be getting close enough to that $600 level to just let someone else put in the time/risk :)
$600 holy shit!!! Does that price include a night with his wife too? Man $600 to press on a pulley.... that guy is higher then a kite

1 - 20 of 23 Posts