Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the 6l90 they improved it over the 80 by going from 6 plays to 7 plates. But there is more you can do. You can get the sonnex piston kit which comes with a heavy base plate and cut down piston. The thick base plate helps with clutch coning as with the heavy backing plate. And you can even take it a step further you can get the power glide clutch kit which includes a 300m intermediate shafts with a new damper to accept the powerglide clutches. This kit also uses 9 clutch plates the most you can fit and the powerglide clutches have more surface area. But the small diameter still makes them weak in the leverage dept. I'm going to post some photos of the different components.

Show how much more surface the pg clutch has x9

Shows pg vs 90 plate

Pg vs 90 plate

Alto red with grooves and without and Raybestos stage 2 blue these are all pg clutches

Alto red pg vs stage 1 90

Alto red pg vs stage 1 Raybestos 6l90 clutch

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are you a transmission builder? I don't understand the point of your threads on the 6L90.
I do build transmission but this is more informational to let guys know that there are options out there to correct problems with units. Isn't that what the forums are for to spread useful information?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which shaft/pg clutch hub are you using? The 300m shafts all seem to be big $$$.
Mike,
None of them are cheap I think they are 800 for the shafts and damper mine is from centrury. And then you have to buy a top plate, base plate, 9 friction and 8 friction steel plates. I know the 8 steels just cost me 125 and 9 stage 2 Raybestos were 60 but I don't know what the top and bottom cost I'm having a custom thicker top plate made to help with clutch coning.

George

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would just get RPM transmissions to build mine if and when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I am going through my trans now with Rick Crawford and will be using most if not all these updates. I know that Rick and Tim King have been collaborating on upgrades for these transmissions for quite a while now.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going through my trans now with Rick Crawford and will be using most if not all these updates. I know that Rick and Tim King have been collaborating on upgrades for these transmissions for quite a while now.
I have a couple other things I'm trying in this unit that I'm waiting to see how they work till I talk about them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts