Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got smoked by my uncles 2005 stock vette. We did a couple passes form dig and I remembered that I have to start in second gear. I don't know how I put the auto in second gear from dig. I SMOKED him bad. So please learn how to launch the V in auto. Or else you will look stupid! Now everyone is talking shit... that his old 400+ hp vette ate me up.
Any suggestions how to start out of the hole? I tried hitting the paddle shift up one and didn't work. I don't know how I got it in second the last time. PLEASE POST YOUTUBE VIDEO ON BEST WAY TO LAUNCH AUTO V!

·
Registered
753 Posts
TC off. Launch in Drive and then slap shifter to the right (sport mode). Don't use paddles, let the car shift on its own.

·
Burnout King
3,944 Posts
All you have to do is slide the shifter to the right for sport mode and mash the gas. The car starts in first when you do this.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started out in second and took him. But again, when I just smashed on gas with sport mode I still got smoked. How about competition mode? do I turn that on?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Just regular old Drive, you start out in second.
What he said. Your car automatically starts in second. But there is definitely something wrong if you're getting smoked. Put it in sport mode, slight throttle to take slack out of drive train (700-800 rpm's), jab the throttle to about 60% on the start and roll into it hitting WOT at about 60 ft. You should easily kill him.

Sent from my MB886 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
to be honest you should be blowing the tires off starting from 1st, its a heavy car, i have to roll race the car, from a dig its not that good, i blow them off BADDDDDDDDD

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should have been able to beat him no matter what unless the vette is not stock or is a Z06 or ZR1.
Nope. Its not Z06 or Zr1. He didnt really smoke me bad. it was pretty much tie but a hard race.

·
still hanging around
4,233 Posts
You have to learn how to modulate the throttle in first...you can't floor it with street tires, you have to work it and walk that fine like between traction and spinning. Get a feel for it and then you'll know how much you have to work it and when you can put it to the floor.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What he said. Your car automatically starts in second. But there is definitely something wrong if you're getting smoked. Put it in sport mode, slight throttle to take slack out of drive train (700-800 rpm's), jab the throttle to about 60% on the start and roll into it hitting WOT at about 60 ft. You should easily kill him.
Sent from my MB886 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Im just going to try a combination of things because everyone seems to be telling me something different.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TC off. Launch in Drive and then slap shifter to the right (sport mode). Don't use paddles, let the car shift on its own.
when I did this the car hit the rev limiter and started bouncing on on rpm as if I had to shift.

·
8s are the new 9s
4,147 Posts
On street tires on the street, just leave it in drive and either leave TC on or put it in competition mode. Trying both with some sort of objective measure (like a gtech) will tell you which works better on your car. Don't use the butt dyno, it lies. First gear on street tires on the street is useless. Starting in drive it will start in second but you'll still need to modulate the throttle a bit. You can try every combo but the most important thing is having an objective measure to compare different techniques.
Paddle shifters suck and are only helpful when starting from a roll IMHO.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On street tires on the street, just leave it in drive and either leave TC on or put it in competition mode. Trying both with some sort of objective measure (like a gtech) will tell you which works better on your car. Don't use the butt dyno, it lies. First gear on street tires on the street is useless. Starting in drive it will start in second but you'll still need to modulate the throttle a bit. You can try every combo but the most important thing is having an objective measure to compare different techniques.
Paddle shifters suck and are only helpful when starting from a roll IMHO.
Rite on thanks! I will try it out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
when I did this the car hit the rev limiter and started bouncing on on rpm as if I had to shift.
Not at all, I do this all the time. Start in D so the car takes off in second, then tap the stick to sport so it shifts quicker and more firm when it goes to 3rd, 4th, 5th. You will start hitting the rev limiter when you start using those super slow paddles. I only use the paddles for down shifting.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just regular old Drive, you start out in second.
This is only true if the car has shifted to second prior to stopping. Regular ole D starts in 1st once put into D. It will not downshift back to first after it has shifted to second.

At some point in the model years they changed the way M mode works. On earlier model it would not allow shifting to second at a stop. On my 2011 I can launch in third if I wish.

Search the forum for the "tap tap" method.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You should achieve the best results with the car set at its most aggressive settings...sport mode, TC off (comp mode).
However, it still takes some level of practice/experience to get the best results with throttle modulation as already mentioned.
Half throttle on launch. Once you feel the tires hook up, full throttle.
This whole process takes a split second.
If you smoke your tires on launch with a comparable car, you'll get beat.

I forgot to turn off TC when I raced an SLS and the TC kicked in on the 2-3 shift and I bogged down, worst feeling in the world...

·
Registered
501 Posts
How much power are you making and what does he have done? Have you guys ran from a roll? Did he jump you out of the hole and you had to catch back up? Just turn traction control off, or press and hold it does matter right now. When you start you can go about 60-70% throttle instantly then roll into it as quickly as the tires will hold. Depending on power that will be about 3 cars out. It's better to error on the less throttle than more. When you spinning you ain't winnin'. Depending on each mods you should be able to baby it out of the hole and walk him. What tires are you on?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again I'm trying different combos but??? TC off and competition mode still smokes the tires. When it's on drive it starts in first gear. So??? I did second gear by slap shifter to right and manually putting in second. Then I smoked him on launch. But hit rev limit and backed off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts