Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 CTS-V Manual. 34K miles. Fluid changed at 18K (at the dealer) no issues until last October, where I noticed a clunk-almost felt rather than heard, every so often from what I could tell was the rear end. Took to dealer where they could not replicate-did get a new Supercharger, but that's a different thread.
Fast forward to last week, where the howling got too loud and persistent to ignore. Part throttle howl at low speeds(less than 40 MPH or so) and a clear but lower frequency howl on the freeway at speeds above 60 or so. Took it in and they def heard it and on removal of the fluid-found metal flakes. My car is out of GM warranty, but my aftermarket warranty is taking care of it. Still finding out if they changed the diff or just replaced the ring/pinion/seals(not preferred method).
Tires are regular street rubber-no super sticky drag stuff and not one smoky burn-out(sadly), so general mild torture, but certainly no "abuse". My car has not been dragged, much, most slink away quietly(other than that embarrassing Tesla loss-he didn't want to go 3/5), but is enthusiastically driven-no more so than my 150K mile M5 before I sold it, but this seems unusual. I know there were diff issues for the Gen1, but not really many Gen2 failures. I suspect this is a metallurgy failure given the low incidence seen-so far. Lots of 700+HP cars out there with no signs of this.
Car should be ready today. Told me they are testing/letting the smoke out of my tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll use this to pop my post cherry. Bought a 2011 V coupe 6M w/ less than 20k mi from CarMax a couple weeks ago. Noticed a slight whine/roar when just getting into throttle in 5th and 6th gear during the test drive (sales guy heard it too). Sound would go away if off throttle or clutch was disengaged. Didn't deter me as I thought a fluid change would resolve it. CarMax was replacing a cracked fob so I told them to check the rear fluid level and replace it (any repairs are free within 30 days of purchase, but I also bought the Doug DeMuro publicized warranty). They sent it to the local GMC dealer and after getting the run around from CarMax the last couple days I decided to call the dealer myself (The CarMax service guy initially said the whine was so slight that he didn't recommend any repairs and he was so confident that if any repair on the rear diff was needed in the future he would waive my deductible.) Lo and behold the dealership is recommending that the rear end be replaced and is waiting on approval for the work. I'll know more in the next couple days.

EDIT: I'll also add that CarMax replaced the rear tires before they put it up for sale. Could my coupe have been launched a bunch before my ownership? Possibly. I'll try to get as much detail from the dealership as possible as to the condition once they crack it open and GM's position on replacement vs fluid change etc.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just had my '11 wagon's diff replaced under my CPO warranty a few weeks before it expired. I had howling at light throttle between 51-53 mph. I had to take the tech for a drive to replicate the howling. As soon as he heard it, he said "yup, that's annoying and not normal." The service advisor happened to call him a minute later while we driving back to the dealership. He told him that car was definitely making a noise from the rear. Got the a new diff and headlight(condensation) under warranty. Now that the warranty is up, time for some power mods.

Reactions: Wrecked Em

·
Registered
80 Posts
My differential made a bunch of noise when it was cold and I was turning around a corner. Dealer replaced the diff under warranty. Shortly after, the new one made the same noise. Instead of taking it back I bought some GM limited slip additive, sucked some fluid out of the diff and topped up with the additive. Problem solved. I'm guessing that was all that was wrong with the original one as well. The car had ~25000 km at the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What happened did they replace the rearend.
Yep, full replacement. Grand total was $3k out of CarMax's pocket.

Jpandes: That's exactly what mine was doing too.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Mine was replaced at 18K and still howls. Right about 52MPH

·
Registered
54 Posts
Still waiting for reimbursement after 2 months?

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
3rd party insurance... you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll use this to pop my post cherry. Bought a 2011 V coupe 6M w/ less than 20k mi from CarMax a couple weeks ago. Noticed a slight whine/roar when just getting into throttle in 5th and 6th gear during the test drive (sales guy heard it too). Sound would go away if off throttle or clutch was disengaged. Didn't deter me as I thought a fluid change would resolve it. CarMax was replacing a cracked fob so I told them to check the rear fluid level and replace it (any repairs are free within 30 days of purchase, but I also bought the Doug DeMuro publicized warranty). They sent it to the local GMC dealer and after getting the run around from CarMax the last couple days I decided to call the dealer myself (The CarMax service guy initially said the whine was so slight that he didn't recommend any repairs and he was so confident that if any repair on the rear diff was needed in the future he would waive my deductible.) Lo and behold the dealership is recommending that the rear end be replaced and is waiting on approval for the work. I'll know more in the next couple days.

EDIT: I'll also add that CarMax replaced the rear tires before they put it up for sale. Could my coupe have been launched a bunch before my ownership? Possibly. I'll try to get as much detail from the dealership as possible as to the condition once they crack it open and GM's position on replacement vs fluid change etc.
Boosted Tiger.... FYI, my 2011 V coupe had a rear axle whine only in gear...if you coast, do you still hear it ? on a hard left turn in a parking lot it binded (binded?) and the dealer put a bottle of friction reducer (12.00) in the rear end and it helped alot. I just bought a 2012 w/ 16k miles and all 4 tires were replaced (first 2 were front) then each rear one by one due to sidewall failure. This one came with Michelin Pilot sport 2.... and each one of them had a split in the sidewall , probably due to age. I HATE these tires (especially for $450 each) but many swear by them. Continentals are far better. Anyway, good luck. Redsled

1 - 10 of 10 Posts