Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved some new CK375 wheels from Tony for my Escalade and I am prepping them for mounting. In the past I've had issues with corrosion around the transition point between the rim and the tire. This is been on both the face and backside of the wheel. Being that this is a new set of wheels, I would prefer to prevent corrosion from happening again. I understand that regular maintenance and washing his key, however I wish to provide for the protection especially at this point with this new set of wheels. I have applied a liberal coat of Rejex. After curing, my next thought was to apply a bead of a 100 percent silicone paste in the areas mentioned above to limit intrusion of moisture and salt and grime. Then i would wipe as much as possible to repel debris sticking. I'm not sure if the silicone would potentially degrade the Rejex. I'm thinking not. Any thoughts on this? Should I do anything else to them?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I was tired of waiting for a response so I just did it. It takes some effort to get the silicone cleaned up. I'm not sure if I would recommend it at this point. We'll see how things go.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It has to be a GM thing, and only for particular models. Hell, I think they even had a TSB about it at one point. My Escalade did the same thing.
We just sanded/emery clothed the spots and hoped for the best.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
The factory wheels had the issues. We sand/grind them and then add seam sealer to stop the corrosion.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's pretty much every factory chrome wheel. At my shop we see it at least 3-4 times a week. Customer has issues with tire pressure leaking down and when we break the tire down, the inside of the wheel is corroded to hell. Just a little bead sealer and a 3M 50 grit sanding disk like below to clean it up and no more issues.

·
Registered
484 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts