Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

How fast do you find the v3 in stock form?

6K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  andy13186 
#1 ·
I'm looking at the new f90 m5 and the e63 amg/s versus the v3 and I'm really curious how fast current v3 owners think their cars are in real world applications. Can you compare the performance to other heavy hitters on the market such as the f10 m5/f90 m5/ hellcats? I'm beginning to wonder if the v3 is the correct step for me in the future since the new m5 seemingly blows a lot of cars out of the question. As current v3 owners, would you buy the v3 again or would you give a second glace at the German competitors?

#2 ·
Biggest deciding factor for me was $$ and being mod friendly. The m5 and e63 were more expensive and their lease programs didn’t come close to GM’s. Also m5 and e63 modding is pretty costly. Pretty much if I had m5 or e63 money I would’ve went for the e63 but I am very very happy with my V3. Mean as hell and demands respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
New F90 M5 has awd so it has that going for it. It also is definitely faster stock than a stock V3. The new M5 is 10's stock @ about 130 mph and is around 600whp before any tuning or mods.

Car and driver did a shootout of all the super sedans and said the V3 was the best drivers car (best handling and steering feel and most fun) but the M5 was the fastest.

https://www.boostaddict.com/content...S-vs-Cadillac-CTS-V-vs-Porsche-Panamera-Turbo

#4 ·
Not exactly apples/apples as you're looking at 2 brand new ground-floor-up redesign vehicles ('18 E63 & '18 M5), vs a car which has essentially been untouched (alpha platform and interior) since its introduction in 2014. However, Cadillac sells an '18 CTSV so comparison is unavoidable--run whatcha brung!

I'm sure the die-hard V3 apologists will adamantly disagree, but I feel both the new M5 and E63s are better cars in every objective measure. Progress/technology doesn't sleep, and the new Germans are proof positive. I think the V3 slapped around both previous embodiments of the M and AMG, but today's game is a different one. Both are miles faster than the V, will feel faster on the street (due to awd), will be faster at the track (again, awd consistency), and both have interiors that make the V look like a Chevy Aveo. About the only laurel that the V has left is its well sorted front end (chassis, steering feel, etc) and price tag. It will certainly be 30-40k less than the aforementioned--but you didn't mention pricing in your OP so I don't know if that's a consideration for you.

#5 ·
Once tariffs are equal, will the German cars be competitive though? I agree they are better, but they are already dramatically priced higher as it is. If the 30% tariff that GM cars face in Germany were imposed on their cars in the USA, or alternately - if Germany lowered it's tariff's to the mere 2.5% that German cars have coming to the US, how would each fare?

On an absolute basis, I concur these new M and AMG cars have some serious advantages. But on a equalized basis, they are some 35-50% more expensive. I would absolutely EXPECT them to be better.

#7 ·
I doubt any of those tariffs will come to fruition, but if they did it would obviously advantage the American marques.

Although I will say, the people whom are buying a 150k liability which depreciates like a rock from inception are probably not living paycheck to paycheck. Thus, they will still desire the "best", price notwithstanding; and will pony up the extra 30-40k in additional mark-up if it came down to it.

The V3 is a quick car in stock form and the A8 does pretty well. I don't think any sedan in the 100K range can touch it.
RS7
Hellcat Charger
E63S
M5

All beg to differ.

#14 ·
having owned 3 V's, I can honestly say that I cant think of any other car I would buy under 100K other than a V. as for the MSRP on the M and the AMG, I looked and once you add options to them, they are quickly over 120K whereas a fully loaded, every box checked V will come in around 105K, and 7000 of that is the carbon fiber package.

I have never owned a german car, and from everything I have heard, they are great if they are under warranty. but if they aren't, its an arm and a leg to repair things when they break. then if you went to mod the S7, M5, or E63S, you are looking at at least 10K for the same gain in power you can get from less than 3000 dollars in a V3.

#22 · (Edited)
Id consider the M5 but there isnt much about the exterior styling that does anything for me, same for the E63. 130 mph trap is no joke and you can bet those published hp numbers are way too low. Ive been in the E63 but not the M5 and the comment about the interior making the V looking like an Aveo is out of line. To be honest the only real fault with the Cadillac is the fact that they screwed the pooch by not incorporating AWD. Im perfectly happy with the V3 and it will keep me plenty happy unitil the Tesla Roadster gets here. I still find it hard to believe how well this 4 door sedan handles.

#24 ·
Ive been in the E63 but not the M5 and the comment about the interior making the V looking like an Aveo is out of line.
Really?

While aesthetics are purely subjective, material quality, panel fitment, stitching quality, etc are not. I love my CTS-V, but lets not sink to fanboism and ignore reality. There is a reason why every review comments, "amazing driving car, needs better interior". The only way you are happy with that interior, is if you are coming out of another GM product. There are cars that cost almost half what we pay for our V's that have higher quality interiors.

vs

#30 ·
I'll give you my perspective as an owner of several M cars and someone who knows BMWs well and races them in NASA, WRL.

I was shopping for a new M5 in 2016 when i stumbled upon the V3. I had driven a VWagon in 2014 or so but didn't like the design, went and bought an M5. I've owned a 05 M3, 2011 M3 and a 2015 M5.
The driving dynamics of the V was what sold me, that along with the price. What i mean by dynamics are the engine response, suspension and steering feels....oh and brakes. I find the car to ride very well on the bumpy streets of Dallas and it's fun on the track. I've driven it at MSRC and COTA and had zero issues. Didn't even change the brake fluid. I could never do that with my M cars. The brakes are superior on the V.

The other upside is purchase price and leasing rates. I leased my car with only taxes down and paid roughly what my wife's used X5 cost per month. $400 less (at least) than a comparable M5 from 2016. That swayed me just as much as the test drive, in fact i leased it within an hour of my test drive and was on a test drive for the night in a used M5.

Now for the downsides of the V vs. the M5.
Transmission, the DCT from the earlier model M5 is much better than the auto V. IT's quicker shifting up and down and more fun on the track. I find the V auto to be fine around town once it warms up though.
Second is the much maligned interior, it's awful but i don't really care as the car is so much fun the drive. If you care about a nice interior then this isn't the car for you in my opinion.
Lastly, aftermarket. This is good and bad. As someone who leased I could care less about aftermarket support as I'm not doing shit to the car. My money goes into the race car, everyone is happy. However, if you like to mod cars then there's no choice but to get the M.

Sorry for the rambling, running to a meeting.

#32 ·
It will be interesting if some does a head to head between all 3: V, 18M5 and 18E63s BUT put the Germans only on RWD since both can do that and let's see which one will be better to the spirited drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 · (Edited)
If you want fast put 25k into your v2 and have about 1200 hp , and still be half the price of any of those options.

V3 does look good though

#36 ·
Yeah I saw that video but I was asking full performance review running only RWD so all that 3.2second 0-60 is gone and you compare Apples to Apples

#39 ·
I added an E , now what is your arguement

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.