Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2018 CTS-V
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure if this should go in the V3 or the street racing forum. This is my first auto fast car. I was playing around with it today a bit. First off, I already know the paddles are useless and I plan on letting the car do the shifting, but I need to lock it in a gear obviously. It seems if you use the paddles to downshift, for some reason you need to press the M on the shifter twice after you hit it to get back in auto mode. Any wheelspin further complicates this it seems. If I hit the M, then select the gear I need, hit it, then press M once before redline, I'm on my way. So this is what I've been doing. Is there a better way or am I missing anything? I read something about blipping the throttle above 60ish percent while in track mode to get the trans to downshift to the proper gear in the C7 A8s.

· Registered
49 Posts
the paddles are useless, but the only way you can get it to hold a gear
tcm tuning ... you can still program it to make WOT shifts in TUTD mode would prob be the easiest

· Registered
2018 CTS-V
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blip of the throttle will get it into performance driving mode but if you aren't ready to rock, it will default back to normal. I pop into manual mode, get my gear and then just after WOT I get it back into auto mode.
Thanks I’ll try the throttle blip. The other method you described is what I’ve been doing but it seems sometimes it doesn’t register if I’m having traction issues.

· Registered
1,396 Posts
I know in the V2 if you hold the upshift "paddle" it would switch back to automatic mode. Does the V3 still do this?

· Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
670 Posts
I know in the V2 if you hold the upshift "paddle" it would switch back to automatic mode. Does the V3 still do this?
Yes

· Registered
1,396 Posts
So how does that work? You punch it and hold the up paddle?
In automatic mode, choose the gear you want by pulling the left paddle to shift down. After you start accelerating, pull the upshift paddle and hold it. It will return to automatic mode.

Reactions: Blades1_99

· Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe with a blue wrap. Cam, smaller pulley, larger injectors, methanol injection.
619 Posts
A better question is how are you guys getting anyone to race you? My car had a baby blue wrap on it and people are still scared to race me. Maybe I shouldn't have put GAPTIZD on my tag........lol

· Registered
2018 CTS-V
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In automatic mode, choose the gear you want by pulling the left paddle to shift down. After you start accelerating, pull the upshift paddle and hold it. It will return to automatic mode.
I never did get this to work. When I held the up paddle it upshifts almost immediately instead of returning to normal mode. I do notice if I hold the down paddle it will shift to the lowest possible gear, but there is a delay. I guess I got spoiled with my PDK paddles. These are really a let down.

In any case, I hit the M button, get down to where I want with the paddles, OR in track mode, blip the throttle to downshift then hit M. After I hit it, I press M to go back auto and let the car shift from there.

· Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, should have mentioned that you pull and hold on the upshift when needing to upshift.

These are torque converter automatics, they will never be as good as a PDK, especially the 8L90 under the V3, but they're still solid transmissions.

Also, the 8L90 does throttle blip on downshifts itself.

But, yes, M mode, choose gear, go, flip to normal then push stick back over to sport will allow you to continue to shift automatically after beginning your pull.

Reactions: m13s

· Registered
2018 CTS-V
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, should have mentioned that you pull and hold on the upshift when needing to upshift.

These are torque converter automatics, they will never be as good as a PDK, especially the 8L90 under the V3, but they're still solid transmissions.

Also, the 8L90 does throttle blip on downshifts itself.

But, yes, M mode, choose gear, go, flip to normal then push stick back over to sport will allow you to continue to shift automatically after beginning your pull.
Honestly for an auto, the actual shift time and firmness even with stock tune is very commendable compared to my old PDK. Its the delay between the paddle and the shift that kills it. Some of the Germans are actually going away from DCTs in favor of autos since they are a little more robust, cheaper and are getting better at shifting. Not sure on DCTs but a PDK replacement can run 15-10K lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.