Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts
I did this write up as a separate thread originally, but thought I would post it here too, in case others look through this thread as well.

After seeing some condensation on the interior side of the front glass, as well as a musty/damp smell starting to manifest in my CTS-V, I quickly found the sun roof was not draining properly. Granted, the car has spent most of its life outside and not in a garage, so this may have accelerated an issue some guys have not come across yet.

After scrubbing through some of these forum threads, I tried a few of the suggestions and ended up modifying the fender grommet to get it to work. Some of the pictures may help others who attempt the same "fix" for their cars.

As of this write up, the car has been through a number of rainstorms the past couple of months and is holding up well.

1) Original state of the water in the sunroof channel that was not draining.

2) Sunroof glass removal, front panel only.

3) Glass mounting surfaces and adjustment locations.

4) Weed-whacker line attempt to clear obstruction.

5) Drain Line Exit Path (front only) Location. Note: You will not need to remove the access panel near the vent. I did this for my own edification.

6) Gently pull/twist the connection between the drain line and the grommet. If your car has had any stagnate water for any period of time, the water that rushes out, which was backed up in the drain line, will smell horrid. Enjoy.

7) Up close image of the grommet and the line I fed into the pathway.

8) Grommet clog.

9) Reaming solution for the grommet. I used a sharp 3/8" drill bit at high speed holding a dry grommet. Use caution and don't hurt yourself here if you attempt the same.

10) Reference Images of drivers and passenger side drain line. One was green which made me question if they are all like this or if mine had been replaced by a prior owner?

11) I used a small water spout my girlfriend uses to water her plants. It provided a steady stream of water to the sunroof drain channel and allowed me to check both sides with lots of water. A water bottle could likely be used too.

Hope this helps or someone can add to it...

Heat shrink tube? Please explain in detailed directions I'm a gal that isn't car savvy. It's affecting my electrical
I forget what size heat shrink tube I used. I believe its 3/8 in. If you can, measure the tube thickness. You can order heat shrink tube on amazon. You'll want the heat shrink tube to fit over the drain tube but not be very loose. Once you have the correct heat shrink tube size you'll slide it over the disconnected drain hose. Connect the drain hose to the drain fitting and slide the heat shrink tube over both the fitting and drain hose. Use a heat gun or lighter to shrink the tube. Once the tube has shrunk pull on it gently to verify it's on snug. If none of this makes sense search heat shrink tube on youtube.

I have no input on the sunroof repair but will offer a general note about heat shrink tubing.
HST is a product used for electrical repairs -generally- as an insulating sleeve over wiring. There are different materials and versions but for this type of mechanical repair you should use the "adhesive-lined" HST as it has hot glue inside so that when heated it not only shrinks but also adheres

I forget what size heat shrink tube I used. I believe its 3/8 in. If you can, measure the tube thickness. You can order heat shrink tube on amazon. You'll want the heat shrink tube to fit over the drain tube but not be very loose. Once you have the correct heat shrink tube size you'll slide it over the disconnected drain hose. Connect the drain hose to the drain fitting and slide the heat shrink tube over both the fitting and drain hose. Use a heat gun or lighter to shrink the tube. Once the tube has shrunk pull on it gently to verify it's on snug. If none of this makes sense search heat shrink tube on youtube.
Gotcha! Thankyou sincerely for responding as this thread is so freaking old. Man I owe you one. Your a Godsend.

This is why I never open my sunroof. I'm sure if I tried, all the gaskets are stuck together and they'd tear and then it would leak. Not like opening it really changes the ventilation in the car. Had I had the option, I'd have gone without the roof but I bought what the Dealer had and that was optioned-out including the roof.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.