Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I was analyzing my cooling system today and noticed that I currently have 3/4'' ID Heater hose.
I am thinking about going to 1'' Heater hose however thought I would see if anybody has done it before and noticed a difference.

Please note my current Internal diameter is 3/4''

My gut would tell me that more flow would be better but I did notice the Metal tubing on the passenger side that goes throughout the engine bay down to the Heat exchanger is def not 3/4'' ID so now I am assuming it would restrict the flow no matter what.

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
You need to delete those metal hard lines before you go through the trouble of changing your hose.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to delete those metal hard lines before you go through the trouble of changing your hose.
Do a lot of people do that?
I would assume as it seems to be restricting

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yes, most everyone does it. It makes a noticeable difference in water flow inside the tank.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, most everyone does it. It makes a noticeable difference in water flow inside the tank.
So just run the 1'' hose all the way down to the Heat exchanger as far away from heat as possible?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There are a few different ways to route it. Mine stays up close to the fuse box then goes down by the radiator. Mine is just 3/4" hose. 1" will be tight. Another local guy ran his inside the fender on each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a few different ways to route it. Mine stays up close to the fuse box then goes down by the radiator. Mine is just 3/4" hose. 1" will be tight. Another local guy ran his inside the fender on each side.
Good deal.
I def think I will be doing this.

I currently have an under hood ice tank and track attack with a Lingenfelter pump.
Looking at going 1'' ID lines everywhere, keeping underhood ice tank and track attack EX but replacing the Lingenfelter pump with reprogrammed EMP.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I don't think track attack or pump have larger then 3/4 so I just changed to 3/4 everywhere and I'm happy with that. 1" doesn't make sense to me unless you have 1" on all your fittings, pumps, tank, lid.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think track attack or pump have larger then 3/4 so I just changed to 3/4 everywhere and I'm happy with that. 1" doesn't make sense to me unless you have 1" on all your fittings, pumps, tank, lid.
I believe The more restrictions you can reduce the better.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I believe The more restrictions you can reduce the better.
I would guess its only going to flow as fast as its lowest point? I could be wrong (im not a fluid dynamic dude), but even if you had one 1/4" fitting and the rest of the system was 2" thats still the bottle neck that would control the rest of the system flow?!

It definitely wouldn't hurt running 1" lines, ive ran my lines about 4/5 times now and just happy I have it where everything is 3/4" lol

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would guess its only going to flow as fast as its lowest point? I could be wrong (im not a fluid dynamic dude), but even if you had one 1/4" fitting and the rest of the system was 2" thats still the bottle neck that would control the rest of the system flow?!

It definitely wouldn't hurt running 1" lines, ive ran my lines about 4/5 times now and just happy I have it where everything is 3/4" lol
Nah, doesn't work like that, if that was the case then it would be the lid brick that would dictate the flow regardless of what pump you run.

The pressure drop will go up in the system by the square of the flow until the circuit pressure drop matches the pump curve ... eliminate any restrictions in the system and flow will increase (given the pump curve shape of the centrifugal pumps we are using).

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,759 Posts
The only caveat to 1" lines is that the 3/4-1" adapters you'll have to use almost all suck (and are ~5/8 ID to fit the 3/4" hose). Not to mention chances for leaks.

Just something to keep in mind

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've tossed around the idea of upgrade from my varimax to an emp. If I did it, I would just replace the suction hose from the HX to the pump with 1" and put a bigger barb on my HX. All the other lines would remain 3/4" for simplicity. Having it all 1" would definitely help, but a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've tossed around the idea of upgrade from my varimax to an emp. If I did it, I would just replace the suction hose from the HX to the pump with 1" and put a bigger barb on my HX. All the other lines would remain 3/4" for simplicity. Having it all 1" would definitely help, but a lot of trouble.
MMMM that is definitely something to ponder.
I am keeping my ice box under the hood and switching my Lingenfelter pump for an EMP.
I looked at the lines last night and dont think 1'' all the way around would be that terribly difficult unless I am missing something.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mines all 3/4". It's tight as it is where it goes down to the pump (ZR1) and track attack from the reservoir. 1" would be tricky for sure. My pump fittings would still be 3/4" so I just stuck with it. If you're getting an EMP though, they're 1" aren't they? Might be worth the hassle for you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mines all 3/4". It's tight as it is where it goes down to the pump (ZR1) and track attack from the reservoir. 1" would be tricky for sure. My pump fittings would still be 3/4" so I just stuck with it. If you're getting an EMP though, they're 1" aren't they? Might be worth the hassle for you.
Yes they are 1'' inlet/outlet

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not on a stock block and after looking last night it may be easier to wiggle a 1'' down there than anticipated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts