Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2011 CTS-V build is pretty much complete, for now! But I mounted the Fabtech heat exchanger and haven't connected the hoses yet. I don't want to connect the hoses wrong. I was wondering if anyone had a diagram of how the hoses connect to the pump and exchanger. I'm running the Fabtech exchanger with the the CWA-100 pump.
I seen some diagrams online, but not with this heat exchanger. Like how do I tell which port is the inlet and outlet?
I'd appreciate anyone's assistance!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what he sent me when I asked the same question.
Ah okay, very helpful! Thanks so much! Do you by any chance know how much coolant this exchanger holds? Or how much the whole system holds? And was it hard to bleed, thats the next thing I have to figure out how to do correctly!

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
OE quantities are .8gal for the HX, so more than that. Keep filling until she squirts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OE quantities are .8gal for the HX, so more than that. Keep filling until she squirts.
.8 gal or 8 gal? 8 gal seems like a lot! I was thinking the whole system prob like 3 gallons or something... And do you have any links to vids on how to bleed the heat exchanger? And do I bleed the heat and exchanger and radiator seperately correct? Prob a dumb question because I'm pretty sure I know the answer....
I really appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
215 Posts
The heat exchanger and radiator are separate systems.

Bottom of tank to pump, to HX, to bottom brick, back to tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Copacetic112

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you want pictures, picture 1 is the way to go.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ah okay, very helpful! Thanks so much! Do you by any chance know how much coolant this exchanger holds? Or how much the whole system holds? And was it hard to bleed, thats the next thing I have to figure out how to do correctly!
Fill it until it cant take any more. Before driving it, Make sure the pump is on and not hydro locked. (Mine was hydro locked so I kept squeezing the hose from the T to the lid and I could hear and see bubbles coming up out of the T, it eventually turned on) Drive it around for a little while, and add as needed. I had to add to mine about three times. I gave it a few days of driving and checked it again, I had to add a little.

If you have a engine bay icebox, Just fill it all the way up and keep adding until it reaches the icebox lid.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you had a tank in the trunk, it would fill before the HX and brick is topped off because they are higher. I was thinking about bying a in trunk tank but not sure if it worth the money and time. Has to be noisey in the rear off the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want pictures, picture 1 is the way to go.

Well I don’t have a tank yet, prob should. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fill it until it cant take any more. Before driving it, Make sure the pump is on and not hydro locked. (Mine was hydro locked so I kept squeezing the hose from the T to the lid and I could hear and see bubbles coming up out of the T, it eventually turned on) Drive it around for a little while, and add as needed. I had to add to mine about three times. I gave it a few days of driving and checked it again, I had to add a little.

If you have a engine bay icebox, Just fill it all the way up and keep adding until it reaches the icebox lid.
Don’t have an ice box in engine bay yet prob should get one eventually.
These are my current mods:
  • Forged pistons
  • Forged rods
  • Stock crank
  • BTR stage 2 cam
  • Speed engineering headers
  • Removed the cats
  • 2.55" upper pulley
  • 9.55" lower with balancer w/ green belt
  • K&N cold air intake
  • ARP Head studs
  • Melling 10355HV High Volume oil pump
  • ID 1050x injectors
  • DSX Auxiliary Pump Fuel System 09-15 CTS-V
  • E85 flex fuel
  • NGK TR7IX
  • Reinforced Intercooler 'Brick’
  • Might Mouse Wild catch can
  • 160 Degree Thermostat
  • Fabtech heat exchanger
  • Pierburg CWA-100 (intercooler pump)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so I’m gonna prob go with either of these two with distilled water. Anyone have an opinion on which is better? As you can see I really am putting a lot of thought into all this haha Just don’t want to have to rebuild again!

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
758 Posts
I've seen people say use a different color than what is in the engine to help troubleshooting if one or the other leaks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen people say use a different color than what is in the engine to help troubleshooting if one or the other leaks.
Ya know what, that’s a great idea! Lol
So dex with the Hx and regular Prestige for radiator. How’s that sound? 😁

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
If you don't have to worry about freezing temps, run distilled in the HX loop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you don't have to worry about freezing temps, run distilled in the HX loop.
I was thinking of doing maybe like a 75% water/ 25% coolant. I split my time between NY and FL. It’s annoying not knowing the actual capacity of both so I could do exact percentages haha

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I was thinking of doing maybe like a 75% water/ 25% coolant. I split my time between NY and FL. It’s annoying not knowing the actual capacity of both so I could do exact percentages haha
You would need 3.4gal for the engine coolant, and you'll probably be around 1gal for the intercooler loop with an aftermarket unit in place.....and that would be without an ice tank of course.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts