Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've successfully sanded, buffed and polished my headlight lenses back to new condition and know that I need to protect them with either a wrap or clear paint. For those that have done a wrap, were you able to wrap the headlight with one piece of wrap or did you need to cut it. I tried a vinyl wrap which had a very light tint to it but was not able to get it on without a wrinkle on the top. I added a bit of heat to the wrap thinking it would help but eventually gave up.

I've heard others have painted the lens with clear and or clear with a bit of tint and may give that a shot if I can't get a wrap to work. Any pointers would be appreciated as I have never painted clear plastic before.

Alternatively if there is a decent coating like a ceramic coat that may provide some UV protection, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've successfully sanded, buffed and polished my headlight lenses back to new condition and know that I need to protect them with either a wrap or clear paint. For those that have done a wrap, were you able to wrap the headlight with one piece of wrap or did you need to cut it. I tried a vinyl wrap which had a very light tint to it but was not able to get it on without a wrinkle on the top. I added a bit of heat to the wrap thinking it would help but eventually gave up.

I've heard others have painted the lens with clear and or clear with a bit of tint and may give that a shot if I can't get a wrap to work. Any pointers would be appreciated as I have never painted clear plastic before.

Alternatively if there is a decent coating like a ceramic coat that may provide some UV protection, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks!
Lamin-X, without question.

I put some on a 2003 TL after polishing the headlights, three years later they still look perfect. For comparison, the very edges of the headlights where the sticker ends is yellow and hazy again. But you can only see that if you are 1 foot away.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I used the 3M headlight restoration kit and comes with 2 clear coat wipes which seem nice. You can just buy the wipes too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
is the Laminix stuff UV protected? Most wraps (rightly so) are not UV protected so that your paint doesn't fade differently
From my experience of having them on a vehicle for 3 years that sits outside a lot and the headlights still look fine, yes, they have UV protection.

Go to 27:42

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Need to do my headlights on my Cup car and the lexan windows, and rear window as wheel. What do you guys recommend for lexan polishing? It's the original windows and they look like shit.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Need to do my headlights on my Cup car and the lexan windows, and rear window as wheel. What do you guys recommend for lexan polishing? It's the original windows and they look like shit.
I think the same cut and buff and seal strategy for headlights applies to lexan.
Depending on how bad the scratches are you could just use something like Meguires 105 followed by 205.

Or what I have done for really bad stuff is sand with 600 grit, then 1000 grit then wet sand with a 3000 grit 3m Trizact pad and then follow up with polishing compound.

It all depends on how bad the scratches are and how much work you want to put in.

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I think the same cut and buff and seal strategy for headlights applies to lexan.
Depending on how bad the scratches are you could just use something like Meguires 105 followed by 205.

Or what I have done for really bad stuff is sand with 600 grit, then 1000 grit then wet sand with a 3000 grit 3m Trizact pad and then follow up with polishing compound.

It all depends on how bad the scratches are and how much work you want to put in.
Thanks Suby

I can get new rear windshield, driver, pass windows and side vented window x2 for 800 bucks. This looks like 2 weekends of many hours so I think i'll replace with new. The lexan is original and in rough shape.

·
Registered
2014 6M, Recaros, Slicktop, Stock
83 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just ordered Lamini- X for the V. Used the TAKE20 and it was $52 and some change shipped. I use Meguiars Heavy duty headlight cleaner. The headlight looked brand new for 5 months then the sealant they provided in the kit started to chip off and yellowing started to show up. (I don't know if its from washing the car every Friday. It said it should last up to a year). I am going to use the Meguiars kit again to sand, buff, and polish. I'm going to skip the sealant and put the Lamini-X over and see how it looks.

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
So I ordered the kit, came quickly.
Sanded and polished my lights yesterday, they looked great. Figured let me just leave them but if you really looked carefully you could still see the lenses cracklings a little bit along the edge

so let me put those lamin x films on.
not easy to do. I put a lot of stripes and large decals on boats all the time over the last (almost) 30 years. But man those little stickers kicked my ass. I hope they even out because I got a little wrinkle and bubbles. It says if any bubbles stay after a few days to take a pin and pop them. The film is self healing

the good- I had ordered then in “tint”. They have one shade darker if you feel brave or want that look. The tint is subtle,
it cuts down on the chrome but doesn’t look like like you blacked the lights out. Cut down on the chrome to the point I’m not thinking of taking the lights apart to black them out

it was hard to get in pictures but one light original one with the film.
install tips- follow their instructions. make sure your hands and the lights/car are 100% clean. Have a bowl of water to moisten your fingers to prevent fingerprints on the film because you will likely reposition these things a few times And even if you wet them at the start your hands will dry out
have your heat gun ready and something to sit on because it’s a dumb task that’s harder than it looks. Don’t try to do it on a windy day because the film is super sticky and will grab any dirt in the air or stick to itself.

if they don’t even out I’ll likely order another kit and have my buddy do it who applies paint protection film. I’m going to see him anyhow because I just repainted my truck bumper from road rash and I want to keep it looking fantastic lol

it was hard to pick up on the tint, but it’s subtle enough to knock the chrome down even with the sun on them

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
After a day in the sun the first light is doing much much better I don’t think any wrinkle left.

the Second light I used more water to be able to work the decal more and it needs to dry out more. I’ll see how it looks with another day in the sun

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah mine had a few small air bubbles when I applied it a few weeks ago, but after a few days it looked perfect. No need to pop any of them, and everything looks uniform!

Like Rob said, the tint is a slight tint. I really wanted to go with the smoke (darkest) bc in my opinion that would have looked the best, but I didn't want to give up night time drivability!

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
415 Posts
Use any quality self healing paint protection film like Xpel.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts