Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
Passenger side has the tensioner and pretty sure some of the water pump upper bolts attached to it.

Reactions: Bigwilly1267

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are removing and installing heads, I would love to know how difficult it is once you do it. I am consideting removing mine for porting.

·
Registered
858 Posts
As long as my schedule stays clear I'm doing my heads cam next weekend. I was thinking about documenting some of it since I haven't seen a v specific diy, not that it's much different from the ls3 camaro thread everyone uses and pieces together with the blower removal... But I thought it'd be nice to have something all inclusive in one spot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you are removing and installing heads, I would love to know how difficult it is once you do it. I am consideting removing mine for porting.
Removing heads are easy, but the challenging part is reinstalling with torque-to-yield (TTY) bolts. When I did the heads on an LS3 C6 the TTY bolts required 22 ft-lb, then 90*, then 70* in sequence. It's tedious and helps to have another set of hands. My recommendation would be to torque them all in sequence to 22 ft-lb (assuming our heads are the same as LS3), then mark each bolt and head at 90*, then 70* from there. That would be much easier than using an angle gauge like I did. Better yet, fork over the money for ARP studs and go to town.

I've added LS3 torque specs in case they're of use to anybody.

As long as my schedule stays clear I'm doing my heads cam next weekend. I was thinking about documenting some of it since I haven't seen a v specific diy, not that it's much different from the ls3 camaro thread everyone uses and pieces together with the blower removal... But I thought it'd be nice to have something all inclusive in one spot.
I vote for you doing a full DIY. I read through that Camaro thread as well and it was useful, but it would be great to get one for our cars. I was planning on doing a DIY when I do mine, but it's better for me if you bust your knuckles first.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did it I did a little yesterday: lid, super charger, spark plugs, wires and coils. Took about 2 hours. Today I removed the heads and exhaust manifold. Little work to getting the heads off though. Only took about 4 hours though. Pretty straight forward

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
A V specific heads cam diy would be nice.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Guess I'll have to charge up the camera lol. I would guess head cam would take me a good 8 or 10 hours depending how the block cleans up time wise. I've done a bunch of heads cam swaps though, and have been a mechanic for about 20 years now. Plus I've had my bumper off and all that junk a couple times now, which I think is the difference in time doing these vs like a c5 or something. They crammed a lot of shit up there.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've also been pondering the idea of painting some of the accessories and maybe the timing cover.. I can't stand the look of old aluminum, and I'm not about to polish all of that shit

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
I followed the Camaro forum breakdown. I'm not a mechanic, so it took a bit of time....34hrs or thereabouts. Bagged and tagged bolts and cleaned parts as I went in my garage on some ramps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts