Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

281 - 300 of 316 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
And don't forget the TRT and HGH! That way, you can still claim natty!!
I need this in my life...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Measured in the other day. Down to 10% body fat, and 45 lbs lost since I started working out again in March of 18. Why am I telling you this? Well, cause I'm pretty damn proud of it.
You should be proud! Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Alright you Gym rats- My story:

57, 5'8', 180 lbs Cancer survivor 5 years clean. Played hockey for 50 years, gave it up 2 years ago, in and out of the gym for the last 3 years have not stuck with it. Back in for one week and committed as I need to be in shape closing in on the big 60. Worked out in my 20-40's, always have been in good shape sans a few years as an Expat when I hit 210 lbs 25 years ago. Came back a fat fuck and went to work. Have maintained 170-175 lbs for the last 20 + years. added a few pounds due to winter and I eat macaroni like a boss (Sicilian genes) diet is sound, I don't drink soda or eat junk food. Basically have followed a Mediterranean diet my whole life not by choice but by upbringing. Beef once a week, mostly chicken, fish, fresh veggies fruit and nuts. Drives my old lady crazy. No hard liquor, occasional beer in the warm weather, wine about 6 glasses a week. Weakness is bread, macaroni and an occasional pastry. Cholesterol and BP are good as are my labs (Just had my annual Physical for my racing license).

Injuries:

Knees, need new ones. Right is much worse than the left, no cartilage. Both have been scoped and I am beyond the cortisone shots. I take Tumeric and that has been great for me as it is a natural anti inflammatory. (Can not use any NSAIDS)

Right shoulder full reconstruction (20 years ago) , rotator cuff surgery and had my collar bone reattached, right side collar bone was broken x5 and the left x3. Don't let your kids grow up and race motorcycles.
Hips and back - normal aches and pains from years of abuse, nothing major other than soreness.

Knowing that I cannot work out like I did when I was young this past week I started really light, 20 minutes on the elliptical machine to get warm, then half hour of light weights high rep min rest. I am petrified of injury so slow and steady for me. When done with the weights I hit the heavy bag for 10 minutes and do a little shadow boxing. I also may add jump rope back in as well depending on my knees, if they can take it.

Not in order
3 sets bench x10-12 eps for all
3 sets upright rows
3 sets shrugs
3 sets lunges with dumbells
3 sets calf raises
3 sets of flys
3 sets of curls
3 sets seated delt flys
3 sets tricep press

All the reading I have done in the past week I am leaning towards 5x5 workout. I know what works for me from a diet and training regimen may not work for the next guy as we are all different and respond in out own unique way. What I have seen is this ultimate warrior xfit, spartan type of workout which after seeing it would get me injured. Some of the trainers I have witnessed have a one size fits all, here is the program, do this and this, and you will see results. I don't suscribe to that type of model. The plan is for 60 days get my strength up and into a schedule then hire a trainer that works best for me and MY needs. Keep in mind I am not one to be intimidated by any person that is in better shape than me, I know this affects some people just not me. I drive my girl crazy with my gym attire because it is the grey sweats (think Rocky) with a hoodie. No fucks to give.

My question to you guys what plans do you recommend and is the 5x5 worth looking into ?

Thnaks in advance.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It sounds like you know what you're doing, both with eating and working out. Maybe dial back on the bread/pasta, but they are in your genes. You may be getting plenty with your Mediterranean diet, but a quality Omega 3 would be nice to add.
Would you be doing the Stronglift 5x5? With your history, your body should have some muscle memory. That will help a lot. With your injuries, wow... Especially knees and shoulders. With your shoulders, be careful. You have me by ~10 years, and I am very careful of form. I have a co-worker your age that is currently recovering from his second knee replacement. Hopefully he will get back to the gym.
Like you, I could give a flying F what others in a gym would think of me, but I cannot workout in a t-shirt, let alone a hoodie. Too restrictive!
Enjoy, and stick with it, M!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Like the colored resistance ones...I use them to warm up my shoulders on the regular

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
No problem. Jeff Cavaliere's background is in physical therapy and bands are used a great deal in rehabilitation from injury.
Cool, Some of the trainers I have spoken with are shit. because they 'look' in shape does not mean that they know how to get a busted hunk of crap like me back into shape. That's my biggest worry. Seeing a guy with a background in PT/Kinesiology/orthopedics makes me feel comfortable.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Cool, Some of the trainers I have spoken with are shit. because they 'look' in shape does not mean that they know how to get a busted hunk of crap like me back into shape. That's my biggest worry. Seeing a guy with a background in PT/Kinesiology/orthopedics makes me feel comfortable.
Absolutely. Being good at X and teaching others to be good at X are mutually exclusive. You probably know some great drivers that aren't great instructors because they lack patience and empathy, especially with beginners.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I also really like Jeff. Went through his inferno shred program because I liked how scientific his approach was, combined with proper form to protect your muscles and joints. Great dude.

281 - 300 of 316 Posts