Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for donating your car to get this working. That is awesome. Everything sounds like its perfect now and I can get one of them on order finally. Hopefully the listing will go back up soon.

Does the aux input jack still work with this setup? Just wondering if we could connect a good bluetooth adapter for audio instead of using the android auto connection. I can email them for this answer as well since it gets a bit specific into things.
This takes the place of the Aux input. I previously used a BT adaptor in the aux jack and was never happy with the audio quality to be honest. Not sure if they used better grounds or shielding for the input or if its something else but over BT the audio is great. No feedback or distortion.

edit - There is a direct BTA plug in that doesn't require Android Auto/Apple Carplay as on of the stock apps/options on the Grom dashboard! Just makes your car act like bluetooth headphones. Steering wheel buttons and center stack control all work for this as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad they were able to get your car in! The back and forth via messaging and collecting logs can take a while.

I hope reverse camera exiting over 2mph isn't unique to MTX cars - looking forward to the firmware update!

Did they mention anything about the garbled video when outside the Grom interface? That would be my last major outstanding issue.

Only other thing I noticed is right now, the interface exits Grom when switching away from the AUX function. But if I click "Nav" or something else, it moves the video away from Grom, but I think the Grom box still holds onto touch. I need to hit audio to navigate off AUX before I can get my touch controls back. I think it's pretty minor, but wondering if that still exists with the latest firmware.

Thanks!
Hey and thanks for being the 1st guinea pig for all this! Hopefully it's just speed driven and not something unique to the MTX cars.

I haven't had any garbled video so maybe it was fixed? Heath didn't mention anything on that one to me (but I didn't list that up front either).

I have seen something similar to that with the touchscreen in using it over the last few days but it's not consistent. Usually it goes something like this:
  • In Grom and hit exit or Stock Interface
  • Drops me back to the normal stock interface with AUX selected
  • Try and hit HDD or something on the right half of the screen and no reaction.
  • Hit AM and it seems to grab focus back and everything works like normal.

If I exit the Grom interface and it automatically jumps to AM, it seems like it all works. Not sure if it's a timing thing where the Grom is shutting down or what but it's maybe 1 out of 10 times or so? I'll keep an eye on it this week and see if I can narrow down the conditions that are causing it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey and thanks for being the 1st guinea pig for all this! Hopefully it's just speed driven and not something unique to the MTX cars.
Finally got a chance to try out the newest firmware. The track up/down steering wheel buttons work! But I still have the backup camera issue where it goes away above 1mph. I was able to gather some logs to send over to them.

On your car, does the backup camera remain on after you come out of reverse, or does it immediately exit?

I still have the garbled video when in the stock interface. I suspect they'll have to send me new hardware to fix that. Will work on that after we fix these firmware issues.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good news! They provided me with a new version of the firmware that fixes the backup camera shutting off above 1 mph. The backup camera still shuts off immediately after exiting reverse, while the stock camera would stay on another 10 seconds. I'm trying to decide about asking for a fix for that vs the possibility introducing some other random unwanted behavior.

So this is the current state of my Grom VLine2 system -
  • The Grom Vline2 interface appears in the "Aux" position on the audio screen and outputs its own audio while in that position. The center console USB port is no longer connected to the radio (the Grom has a USB port that plugs into the radio instead).
  • Screen brightness remains controlled by the car's stock interface, even while in the VLine interface
  • The backup camera works, but turns off immediately after exiting reverse.
  • The steering wheel track up/down and volume up/down controls work in the VLine interface
  • The Seek up/down controls in the dash work in the VLine interface
  • The Menu knob around the Select button will scroll through the VLine interface and the Select button acts as a "Select" button (along with the "Tone" button for some reason)
  • The DEL and INFO buttons help navigate through the VLine interface by jumping to specific elements in the interface.
  • The FAV, RPT, DEST, FWD/RWD, Play/Pause, REC buttons, and Tune knob don't seem to do anything in the VLine interface.
  • When hitting the NAV button, the video display leaves the VLine interface, but the VLine still has control over the touchscreen. You have to leave the "Aux" audio in order to get control of the touchscreen again.
I still have an issue with video distortion with the stock interface. Hopefully they are finding a solution to that.

I feel much better about finishing the install now. I need to route the microphone and the GPS antenna along with finding a place to install the box. It's a lot larger than the VideoInMotion or the NavTool Carplay box.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
You mention the menu knob and select knob work to control the interface but the touch screen also works as well correct? Pretty sure this is a yes but just double checking. I know scrolling is kind of broken since it isn't a capacitive touch screen.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You mention the menu knob and select knob work to control the interface but the touch screen also works as well correct? Pretty sure this is a yes but just double checking. I know scrolling is kind of broken since it isn't a capacitive touch screen.
Yes, the Grom VLine uses the touchscreen when the display is in AUX so you can navigate using that. The problem is it doesn't give it back when you hit the NAV button, only when you navigate off AUX using the Audio button.

I am excited that there are some hard buttons too. It just provides more options and it also means that the buttons aren't vestigial when using the VLine interface.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I'm gonna jump on this when its finally done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a holiday sale on the VLine2 at Grom site right now. Unfortunately, though they still have not listed it back as an option for the CTS yet.
I saw that and placed an order. Hopefully they honor it. They had told me a few days ago they were expecting cables in the next week or so for it to be available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have any distortion in mine. Is there a screen I can take a pic of that you have distortion on compare? The screen is pretty low resolution (can't remember if they told me it was 480 or 240p but its LOW)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't have any distortion in mine. Is there a screen I can take a pic of that you have distortion on compare? The screen is pretty low resolution (can't remember if they told me it was 480 or 240p but its LOW)
Check out this video I took while troubleshooting the reverse camera issue (now solved). Ignore the color changes, as I think that's a camera thing, but you can see the distortion on the camera images as horizontal lines going through the video:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh wow, yea I don't have anything like that with mine. No artifacts or lines or anything when shifting to reverse. If you unplug the Grom and use reverse, does it go away? Hopefully its something minor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh wow, yea I don't have anything like that with mine. No artifacts or lines or anything when shifting to reverse. If you unplug the Grom and use reverse, does it go away? Hopefully its something minor.
Yeah, no distortion when the Grom removed, and also no distortion while in the Grom interface. Just the lines when outside of the Grom interface (start-up animation, stock radio, stock nav, BU camera) It was much worse before they provided replacement cables, and now it looks like it does in the video. They said they'd send another set of cables once they have them ready which should hopefully fix it altogether.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts