Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
They are still working on it. They are trying to find a car to get in to test the new cables. Offered if they wanted to ship me a unit I would test it. If anyone is near them that is interested I would imagine there has to be something in it for testing on your car.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,375 Posts
Where are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
FYI- I never been part of this thread but I own a grom unit.

Here's some of the issues I have:
Steering wheel track change doesn't work. Volume does
Oem video distorted - reverse camera etc... they send me a new cable but that didn't fix the issue

Otherwise the unit works well. I'm not happy that my dash has been in pieces for months waiting for the issues to get resolved but oh well.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
FYI- I never been part of this thread but I own a grom unit.

Here's some of the issues I have:
Steering wheel track change doesn't work. Volume does
Oem video distorted - reverse camera etc... they send me a new cable but that didn't fix the issue

Otherwise the unit works well. I'm not happy that my dash has been in pieces for months waiting for the issues to get resolved but oh well.
@thanox2 Thanks for the feedback.

How is the audio quality compared to say a cable plugged in via the aux port? Currently using a bluetooth adapter that does APTX-HD and the sound quality is extremely good. As much as I want Android Auto on the screen I also don't want to go backwards in audio quality. The bass and fullness of the sound with this adapter is the same as hardwire aux connection.

·
Registered
59 Posts

How is the audio quality compared to say a cable plugged in via the aux port? Currently using a bluetooth adapter that does APTX-HD and the sound quality is extremely good. As much as I want Android Auto on the screen I also don't want to go backwards in audio quality. The bass and fullness of the sound with this adapter is the same as hardwire aux connection.
Interesting. I haven't tested the aux input but will do so now. Unsure if it will grab audio from the aux while streaming with wireless Android auto.

Also I got an update regarding the scrambled image issue. It seems that they are going to replace the video processor.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Interesting. I haven't tested the aux input but will do so now. Unsure if it will grab audio from the aux while streaming with wireless Android auto.

Also I got an update regarding the scrambled image issue. It seems that they are going to replace the video processor.
I think you lose the option to use the AUX once you have that system connected. I don't think you can test unless you have the system out of the car right now. Being that I believe they hijack the aux input for the audio from this I think the signal should be as good but was more looking for a confirmation. Any static sound coming from the radio if you pause the music and turn the volume to max indicating a ground loop at all?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm sorry I haven't been keeping everyone updated. Work has gotten really busy and I haven't had a chance to go out and grab some logs to send to them. The latest status is this:

1. With the new cable, the radio screens look fine 90% but I still have distortion which is more noticeable on the backup camera feed
2. When the speed in reverse hits 1 mph and over, I lose the backup camera feed and it goes back to the VLine. It should remain on the backup camera. I gotta grab logs for this and send them.
3. The track up/down controls on the steering wheel don't work in the VLine interface. Requesting to add that as a feature.

The audio quality is the same as it was with the Navtool Carplay unit, which is to say it's ok, but it has some electrical noise when there is no sound. The bluetooth adapter I had plugged in definitely sounded better.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT Silver/Black
87 Posts

Which BT adapter are you using? Im using the little Firefly unit which isn't bad sounding. But I'm curious if there's a better option out there. I'm big on my music and come from a bit of a car audio background. But I promised the wife I wouldnt go hacking up the V to replace the whole system with an over the top system lol. So my intentions are to retain the factory system (with some lithium power and a moderate 2-3k watt subwoofer upgrade). And Ive kinda been banking on this Grom unit to be my add on for all the modern goodies. But that's also with hope that they get there SQ up to par (not to mention the unit actually functioning properly and issue-free)

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT Silver/Black
87 Posts
I'm sorry I haven't been keeping everyone updated. Work has gotten really busy and I haven't had a chance to go out and grab some logs to send to them. The latest status is this:

1. With the new cable, the radio screens look fine 90% but I still have distortion which is more noticeable on the backup camera feed
2. When the speed in reverse hits 1 mph and over, I lose the backup camera feed and it goes back to the VLine. It should remain on the backup camera. I gotta grab logs for this and send them.
3. The track up/down controls on the steering wheel don't work in the VLine interface. Requesting to add that as a feature.

The audio quality is the same as it was with the Navtool Carplay unit, which is to say it's ok, but it has some electrical noise when there is no sound. The bluetooth adapter I had plugged in definitely sounded better.
Yes. That's what I like to hear... Some hope inspiring progress!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts

This is disappointing to say the least. I wonder if you could use the bluetooth adapter still and have the android tablet interface which is the brains of this unit connect to it to get rid of the electric noise. In theory it should work cause all they are doing is creating an android device that then runs the android auto/carplay interface on top of it.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Which BT adapter are you using? Im using the little Firefly unit which isn't bad sounding. But I'm curious if there's a better option out there. I'm big on my music and come from a bit of a car audio background. But I promised the wife I wouldnt go hacking up the V to replace the whole system with an over the top system lol. So my intentions are to retain the factory system (with some lithium power and a moderate 2-3k watt subwoofer upgrade). And Ive kinda been banking on this Grom unit to be my add on for all the modern goodies. But that's also with hope that they get there SQ up to par (not to mention the unit actually functioning properly and issue-free)
The Firefly is probably the same quality then as what I am using from Fiio. https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-BTR3K-B...tronics&sprefix=fiio+b,electronics,196&sr=1-2

I like the fact that the adapter has a battery in it that last 7-8hrs though so when I jump in my truck that I only use once and a while I can just grab it out of the V and plug it into the dash aux port and not need to power it as well.

I am trying to not tear into it and do a full system as well. Planning to do s sub in the wagon where the factory one is and also hoping this Grom unit can have good audio and bring things up to date.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Quick update with a more indepth to come.

Audio up/down and track forward/back is working correctly!

Reverse camera looks great (well as great as the stocker can).

Mine is an auto.

Stay tuned for when I get in front of a computer for more.
Sounds like this is good step for y'all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok at a PC (and have messed with it more than just the demo in the parking lot).

Full disclosure - Grom gave me a discount and gave me a loaner while they had my car overnight to install and perform R&D. I am not a Grom employee or in anyway affiliated with Grom.

For reference, I have a '11 V-Wagon, Auto, completely stock electronics.

Grom HQ normally doesn't do installs except when they are doing R&D and.....install pics/videos. That's right, pics/install video is coming for the V! Please be kind as I didn't know this going in so didn't clean it up as I would have.

If you want to add android auto/apple airplay/bluetooth audio, and don't want to mess with anything else, this is what you want. I walked in with the feedback from this thread and Heath and crew were able to get all the items taken care of.

Currently I am on their newest firmware (currently unreleased, but should be out in a week or 2 for the public) that will fix the volume up/down along with the track skip using the buttons on the steering wheel. The holdup on this was due to the switches being used in software so it's a simple update for units out in the wild via a firmware update. Having a car on hand allowed them to see what was triggering and move the inputs as needed.

The reverse camera stays on when in reverse and BTA (bluetooth audio) keeps going. I tested this in the parking lot at Grom and then didn't even think about it backing into the garage because it just worked! I went over 2mph but wasn't really looking to see by how much so I'll call that fixed.

Interface - You end up with 2 interfaces basically, stock and then the VL2. The interface reacts quickly and all the apps work as expected. Android Auto functions as it should with our stock 480p screen. Swipe scrolling doesn't work so you are going to be pressing up and down arrows to move or using the menu wheel (really cool that this works as I wasn't expecting it). When you get a call, it kicks over to you the stock interface and when you hang up goes back into the VL2.

There is a female USB A connector they left on the driver's side of the center console that can be used to hook up a USB drive or to flash updates to the VL2 as needed.

Since I didn't perform the install myself, I can't comment on how plug and play it is but they did very clean install and the VL2 now lives in the glove box but everything I had in there before still fits so no big change.

I told Heath/Grom that if anything pops up or they want to test something else, let me know and I can drop the V off again. They are about 5-6 miles from my office and about 12 miles from my house so it's not like they are far. He said already they are working on a newer firmware to remove a red box that shows up around icons as you move around the interface when using the menu wheel but honestly, it's not a deal breaker or show stopper.

The stock screen is the only thing that really holds things back and that's hardly Grom's fault. This is going to save you hacking up your dash and dealing with a larger install to get Android Auto/Apple Airplay/BTA working (like it should have from the factory). I got to crusie home with Google maps, while streaming my playlists from PlexAmp flawlessly.

RECOMMEND! 10/10 would do it again!

I think this covers the big stuff but if you have any questions/comments/want pics/vids, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Glad they were able to get your car in! The back and forth via messaging and collecting logs can take a while.

I hope reverse camera exiting over 2mph isn't unique to MTX cars - looking forward to the firmware update!

Did they mention anything about the garbled video when outside the Grom interface? That would be my last major outstanding issue.

Only other thing I noticed is right now, the interface exits Grom when switching away from the AUX function. But if I click "Nav" or something else, it moves the video away from Grom, but I think the Grom box still holds onto touch. I need to hit audio to navigate off AUX before I can get my touch controls back. I think it's pretty minor, but wondering if that still exists with the latest firmware.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Thank you for donating your car to get this working. That is awesome. Everything sounds like its perfect now and I can get one of them on order finally. Hopefully the listing will go back up soon.

Does the aux input jack still work with this setup? Just wondering if we could connect a good bluetooth adapter for audio instead of using the android auto connection. I can email them for this answer as well since it gets a bit specific into things.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts