Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT Silver/Black
70 Posts
I'm trying to stay positive myself. I actually spoke to the person who got his delivered and he actually sent it back for a full refund. They told him they were working on a firmware update for it to fully functiin with our cars, but that its progress would probably be at least a few months out.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
For CTSs with Bose, the head unit and amplifier are a matched pair. There is no preamp in the head unit, line-level audio is sent to the amp at the back of the car and everything is handled there, fading, tone control, volume, balance, etc.. The head unit talks to the amp over the CANbus, so when you tell the head unit to turn up the volume, a digital message is sent to the Amp to make that happen. The Tesla-style replacements like I have in my car implement their own built-in support for the CANbus messaging, and they functionally replace the head unit. I think the Metra kit does the same thing. But you're not going to be able to install a radio from another GM product like an Equinox and get it to work. It has to have the CANbus interface to make the Amp work. I'm pretty sure the system in the Caddy is unique to Caddy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah. My 2007 CTS Bose system worked the same way. It was all or nothing if you wanted to upgrade the system. You either LOC off the amp outputs or you take the headunit and amp out and start fresh. I did one, then eventually did the other when I wanted more

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,180 Posts
I, for one, would be a buyer if and when they present a fully working unit. I sure hope they do, I want one badly, but I don't want to get into a prolonged beta-guinea pig program.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
What happened to my post in there? {shrug}. I'll be keeping tabs on this thread if someone takes the plunge or update if I hear of any new developments.
I was wondering what happened to your post in here as well as my two posts don't make any sense. I had even quoted your post in my one and that was deleted. Not sure why it would be deleted to keep some information out or something.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I'm trying to stay positive myself. I actually spoke to the person who got his delivered and he actually sent it back for a full refund. They told him they were working on a firmware update for it to fully functiin with our cars, but that its progress would probably be at least a few months out.
Hopefully they are able to get it working. I will definitly but it if they can figure it out. I just hope they don't give up.

Maybe anyone that is interested should reach out so at least they know there is a decent amount of buyers if they can figure it out. They have to remove the SRX off the list now as well since it uses the same system as the CTS.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah. That's pretty messed up. I mean, the fact that they still advertise that their product is compatible with our cars when they know damn well it doesn't. Especially after a handful of people purchased it and will probably still continue to purchase them and find out the hard way. I'm sure they don't say a word to anyone buying it for a Cadillac. They just tell you after you've bought it, waited for it, then had to reach out to technical support asking what they're doing wrong with the install. "Oh, yeah, by the way. That VLine model that we sold you specifically for your Cadillac CTS... It doesn't actually work with any Cadillac models. Would you like to return it? Or would you prefer to keep it as an $800 paper weight? Actually, let me just check with my supervisor. Maybe we could offer you a discount on some add-on accessories for your elegant new paper weight!"... Dickheads... They better get their shit together and make this thing happen. Or at least beat us down with the truth and admit it will never work and take the Cadillac links down. Now I'm all fired up over this sham again. UUUUUUGH!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think there is a chance they can get this to work. The unit I pre-ordered in March came this week and I installed it today to see what works and what doesn't.

The Grom VLine interface does show for me, but it shows up under the FM audio, when I think it would show up under Aux. The touchscreen works, Android Auto works, screen dimming works, the car Seek and volume control reflects on the VLine screen, so there does seem to be two-way communication between the car and the Vline2

What doesn't work - since the audio is on FM, you can't hear the Vline, just the FM radio. When not using the Vline, the screen display is all distorted.

When I did a system update, I lost access to the interface. I had to restore the system to the shipping firmware in order to get it working again.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Latest update:

They provided me a test firmware that puts the interface in the AUX input location! However, there still is no audio and the display is still garbled when not in the Grom interface.

I wonder if we will just need to a line-out of the box to plug into the audio jack in the center console, or if they can run it directly to the back of the head unit, like the Navtool system does. I suspect this will take a bit longer to figure out.

I'm hoping the garbled display is just an issue with the cables they provided.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am excited it seems like they are working towards a fix. But I am less than thrilled about the fac that I already spent my Grom money on other parts. Dammit! It's ok though. I'll wait until we know it's 100% functional. That'll give me time to re-save

·
Registered
194 Posts
New cable came in. Audio works with the new cable.

Screen is still distorted in the stock interface, and on my manual car the reverse camera doesn't come on automatically. At least it's easier to exit out to the camera.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The latest firmware I got fixes the issue with the backup camera on my car.

Question for you all: the stock camera stays on for about 10s after shifting out of reverse. The way it's setup for the Grom is it stays on the camera ONLY while the car is in reverse. Does this work for folks, or should I insist it stay on for the 10s after exiting reverse?

Now I just need the cables and I hope it'll be all sorted for me. I might ask for the steering wheel controls to work. Also, I have manual trans. Not sure if the camera will be sorted for the automatics as the car might send a different signal.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts