Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
And here it is... The major letdown:

We have noticed in some CTS-V vehicles, that the USB emulation we use is not the same. To fully test for compatibility, it is best to plug an iPhone into the USB of the vehicle and see if it is a supported USB drive.

We are working on making a work around to this, however at this time we do not have one.

Thanks,
Heath
GROM Audio
Not great news but not totally losing hope yet. They definitely would need to develope a new driver probably but this is interesting development though. You can't take a current gen android or iphone and plug it in to my knowledge but at the time you could plug an old 30pin ipod or iphone in and play music from it and control tracks and pause/play over the radio. Unless it was only using the phone/ipod as a storage device instead of actually controlling it.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT Silver/Black
70 Posts
I am fairly 💔 at the moment, and a bit nauseous due to the 5 undercooked sausages I just stress ate (yeah, I'm a big baby)... But I will try to hold it together with the shred of hope that maybe someone figures out a solution for us. I am strongly against going the aftermarket headunit route on this car. I feel like the factory setup looks so much better than a metra kit off-color hackjob looking setup. I DO really like the way those Tesla style Android units look that they have for our cars.. but I just don't trust the reliability of them. So I guess I'm sticking with my BT dongle and severely outdated nav for the time being. I use Waze on my phone when time is of the essence.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
So here's my question. Why are they advertising this thing as being for our vehicles as he just directly told me its not compatible with our vehicles? And I didn't even know the USB port was a factor here. I thought it wired in though the back of the radio. And I don't use an iphone, but I have attempted to plug my Android directly into the USB and it told me it wasn't a supported device. So that's why I use a Firefly to Bluetooth to it
So I think definitely made assumptions it would work based on the fact the Equinox radio and display use all the same hardware connectors even though the software is different. I think this should mean they can still intercept the needed signals.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I am fairly 💔 at the moment, and a bit nauseous due to the 5 undercooked sausages I just stress ate (yeah, I'm a big baby)... But I will try to hold it together with the shred of hope that maybe someone figures out a solution for us. I am strongly against going the aftermarket headunit route on this car. I feel like the factory setup looks so much better than a metra kit off-color hackjob looking setup. I DO really like the way those Tesla style Android units look that they have for our cars.. but I just don't trust the reliability of them. So I guess I'm sticking with my BT dongle and severely outdated nav for the time being. I use Waze on my phone when time is of the essence.
The alternative to this is the new large 9 and 10in android auto radios with the metra kit. It at least hides everything behind the beautiful screen and kind of give the interior a look of a modern Audi/Mercs with the floating screens.

But yeah I am bummed with that news as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So meaning like what they have will hack into the video and touchscreen aspect of our car? But the USB aspect is what is needed to incorporate the audio aspect?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like this thing is pretty sweet looking... but I just feel like there's too much risky tech here to assume reliability:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
So meaning like what they have will hack into the video and touchscreen aspect of our car? But the USB aspect is what is needed to incorporate the audio aspect?

Go to the Docs link and watch the install video on the equinox. All the connections are the same so it should plug into our unit no problem. I think they were getting steering wheel controls from the USB for sure. I think the touch screen input for the until might come from something else but maybe from that USB as well. The USB in the arm rest is really just an extension off the USB on the back of the radio.

The video part is a Y cable and that part is easy. The NavTool unit does the same thing but it runs much crappier hardware compared to this unit.

I installed something similar to this in my ISF years ago that gave all the album art and everything from and ipod touch onto the nav screen.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
As a only-marginally-interested observer, I would have to say that it appears to me that GROM doesn't know what they're talking about. From the content on their website it appears that their GM implementation supports MyLink, which of course, our CTS-Vs do not have. They have the V2 listed as supported and with the same parenthetical "MyLink" notation as all the other GM vehicles they list.

There's no HDMI input anywhere on the V2's head unit. The display driver is a custom thing, with a many-fingered flex-connector (mylar printed circuit board) that exits the panel and interfaces with the head unit box. The display driver is inside the head unit. The GROM appears to require HDMI. To interface with the V2's factory display panel, the GROM would need a "wedge", a circuit to insert between the panel and head unit, that would let the GROM drive the display and access the touch panel while also allowing the factory head unit to access the display and touch panel. Doesn't seem possible based on what's pictured for the Cadillac.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Like this thing is pretty sweet looking... but I just feel like there's too much risky tech here to assume reliability:

Yeah. I've had one in my V for the last 5 years. The first one I bought (the first version they released, that unfortunately had kind of weak Android HW) I sold to someone on this forum who's been using it for maybe the last 2 years and has been really happy with it (at last report, anyway). I upgraded to a faster version which is what's installed in my car now, and that has been working great ever since it replaced the previous one that worked great (but was a little too slow for my tastes).

So it's definitely risky and not at all reliable. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah. I've had one in my V for the last 5 years. The first one I bought (the first version they released, that unfortunately had kind of weak Android HW) I sold to someone on this forum who's been using it for maybe the last 2 years and has been really happy with it (at last report, anyway). I upgraded to a faster version which is what's installed in my car now, and that has been working great ever since it replaced the previous one that worked great (but was a little too slow for my tastes).

So it's definitely risky and not at all reliable. :)

View attachment 152397 View attachment 152398
Can I ask, what's up with the T/C button? Is that what would control the Magneride Suspension Mode? I'm assuming you have a V so you would know what I'm talking about as far as the button layout. If not, the V has a button with a shock icon where that T/C button is to change from Tour Mode to Sport Mode

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
As a only-marginally-interested observer, I would have to say that it appears to me that GROM doesn't know what they're talking about. From the content on their website it appears that their GM implementation supports MyLink, which of course, our CTS-Vs do not have. They have the V2 listed as supported and with the same parenthetical "MyLink" notation as all the other GM vehicles they list.

There's no HDMI input anywhere on the V2's head unit. The display driver is a custom thing, with a many-fingered flex-connector (mylar printed circuit board) that exits the panel and interfaces with the head unit box. The display driver is inside the head unit. The GROM appears to require HDMI. To interface with the V2's factory display panel, the GROM would need a "wedge", a circuit to insert between the panel and head unit, that would let the GROM drive the display and access the touch panel while also allowing the factory head unit to access the display and touch panel. Doesn't seem possible based on what's pictured for the Cadillac.
You are getting too hung up on a connector being a specific function. Neither the CTSV nor cars they video proof of install and functionality online have HDMI input. HDMI just makes way to a breakout harness. What is key here and you can see in the pictures below is all the harness connections they are using are the same. The connector might be mounted in a different way but the same function. The blue connector is the video signal for the screen. The black connector is power. The large connector on the radio is all the main audio connections. The small connector with the metal box around it is the USB interface. I would almost bet if you tried you could take and install an Equinox Radio in the CTSV. You wouldn't even need the screen but you could do it as well. It's just an LCD panel that needs to be separated from its backlight and cable connector. I used to do this all the time to repair laptops. Didn't even have to pull screens out of the same make and model. You could just make sub harnesses to convert to the right connector. I definitely don't really want to get into having to swap a different navigation system in to make this work as it's just another step to have to take. But I think keeping the factory interior together is much more desirable than any of the other options. The Tesla setup looks better aesthetically compared to the metra kit but the OS/Interface they have created over Android looks like it belongs on a kids tablet and not in a luxury car no offense. I have no skin in this game yet but This is by far the promising option I have seen come out in a long time. Hoping they figure it out. If not I will be trying to find an electrical manual for an equinox and the ctsv so I can follow wire pinouts for both navigation systems to see if my swap idea would work. I know it seems like a crazy idea but as much as GM makes things plug and play over the years and don't think it is as crazy as it sounds. And who knows it might even get us a better screen resolution and backup camera.

Equinox Radio Front:

Equinox Radio Back:

CTSV Radio Front:

CTSV Radio Back:

Equinox Screen:

CTSV Sreen:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Get the metra kit and call it a day. No regrets!
View attachment 152402

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Wow... That's actually not that bad looking. Don't even get me started down that road though. My 2007 CTS had about 10k sunk into it between the stereo system and electrical upgrades. Both categories completely over the top. I promised the wife my V would strictly be about performance and NO "shake your car to pieces" car audio

You are getting too hung up on a connector being a specific function. Neither the CTSV nor cars they video proof of install and functionality online have HDMI input. HDMI just makes way to a breakout harness. What is key here and you can see in the pictures below is all the harness connections they are using are the same. The connector might be mounted in a different way but the same function. The blue connector is the video signal for the screen. The black connector is power. The large connector on the radio is all the main audio connections. The small connector with the metal box around it is the USB interface. I would almost bet if you tried you could take and install an Equinox Radio in the CTSV. You wouldn't even need the screen but you could do it as well. It's just an LCD panel that needs to be separated from its backlight and cable connector. I used to do this all the time to repair laptops. Didn't even have to pull screens out of the same make and model. You could just make sub harnesses to convert to the right connector. I definitely don't really want to get into having to swap a different navigation system in to make this work as it's just another step to have to take. But I think keeping the factory interior together is much more desirable than any of the other options. The Tesla setup looks better aesthetically compared to the metra kit but the OS/Interface they have created over Android looks like it belongs on a kids tablet and not in a luxury car no offense. I have no skin in this game yet but This is by far the promising option I have seen come out in a long time. Hoping they figure it out. If not I will be trying to find an electrical manual for an equinox and the ctsv so I can follow wire pinouts for both navigation systems to see if my swap idea would work. I know it seems like a crazy idea but as much as GM makes things plug and play over the years and don't think it is as crazy as it sounds. And who knows it might even get us a better screen resolution and backup camera.

Equinox Radio Front:

Equinox Radio Back:

CTSV Radio Front:

CTSV Radio Back:

Equinox Screen:

CTSV Sreen:
They look pretty similar to me. So maybe all hope is not yet lost here. And I FULLY agree with you where I too would rather keep my stick interior intact. That was actually the selling point for me. An add-on that gives you all the multimedia options we lack, and then some. But utilizes the factory unit so you're not hacking up and "Frankenstein-ing" your console back together potentially losing some of your own functions. I want this Grom unit to work out SO BAD. And although the Android Tesla style units do look superior from an asthetical standpoint, their low end "child tablet-like" OS and UI along with the unreliability and quick turnover to become nearly obsolete kills the desire for me. I mean just look at how quickly an Android phone turns trash after a few half-compatible updates. Or if you avoid the updates to preserve the functional reliability, the thing turns into a dinosaur. What, maybe 2 or 3 years tops? Then what? Dump another $1000 into the newest version every coupe years? Too much work. I would rather see the VL2 get smoothed over for our cars and potentially update firmware (hopefully free of charge) every so often. COME ON GROM!!! PULL IT TOGETHER!!

Welp, shot them a note, now we play the waiting game. The grom is exactly what I have been waiting for as I really don't want to swap out the whole center stack and I'm not one for compromises on "well this doesn't work and oh yea that kinda works but you need to do this". I like the seamless integration as shown in the video so hopefully something can be done.

Update - mixed bag overall it seems.

"If you have to use the GM adaptor, then the radio only supports Mass Storage and does not support the iPhone profile we use to emulate. We are working on a work around at this time, however it will not work for your vehicle at this time. "

This was after we traded some emails back and forth this morning where we were able to find the common ground on while yes our headunit supports iphone/ipod functionality, it's really not 100% what their box is looking for signal wise to function correctly.

While they are working on it, it's not here today unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hmmm, Plano is just down the road from me. Wonder what they need as far as a "test" mule to get it working.
I bet you could get a free unit from them if you donate a car to get this figured out. There is another 4-5 sales on this thread if they get this figured out quickly.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Unfortunately, that is about what I expected to hear back although didn't really want to believe it.

It is probably a shot in the dark that they ever finish it unless they are working really hard on it since there is already someone with one in hand. I do wonder what the status is on that because if it isn't something they can fix quickly I would imagine they will just refund him and have him ship it back.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
It does though bring me back to try to find a equinox to steal hardware from and electrical digram of the wiring from a GM electrical manual of each car to make sure I at least don't blow something up. The equinox didn't have a bose system though so it might not be possible.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts