Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install upper and lower grills. I'm guessing I need to drop the front bumper. I'm not quite sure how to accomplish this. I do have a trim removal tool and removed many of the fasteners on the front clip. However, it still seems to be attached fairly well. After removal of some upper trim pieces I seem to have access to the upper grille and I could remove it however there are some rivets on the top holding it in place. I'm not sure what the proper procedure is to release the rivets without damaging the rivets or the grill. My black grills did not come with instructions or fasteners.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Remove the fender liners and all clips/bolts holding them to the bumper. There is one 10mm bolt holding the bumper to the fender on each side. Other than that, just a bunch of clips. Shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes to get the bumper off once it's in the air

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to get the fender liners off however I am having difficulty locating the 10 millimeter bolts. I found two and released them but there is no additional movement. I also see two or three clips but it's not clear how they release. The how to was not that helpful in thus regard. It seems like most things take me much longer because I have not done much auto work before despite technical aptitude.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Undo the 10mm close to the wheel well and just pull outward and it will release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give it a try. Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
No need to pull liners or wheels..... Undo two lower wheel liner push pins, pry out liner enough to get the 10mm bolt nearest the wheel well , pull outward and the bumper cover will release from the fender clamp

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the rivets on the top of the upper grill?

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Don't touch the rivets

Edit, ok thought you meant remove rivets to take off the bumper.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
okay, I got the bumper off. It may not have been as efficient as I would have liked it to be but it's done. I did have a little challenge with the rivets that are on top of the upper grille, but upon moving the entire front clip it was obvious that they could be cut off from underneath using wire cutters. I'm thinking that maybe I should put in my Track Attack heat exchanger as well since I already have this much work done. Any other mods I should be thinking about well I have the front off? Ie fogs etc.

regarding the rivets, what should I use to replace those during reassembly?

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
okay, I got the bumper off. It may not have been as efficient as I would have liked it to be but it's done. I did have a little challenge with the rivets that are on top of the upper grille, but upon moving the entire front clip it was obvious that they could be cut off from underneath using wire cutters. I'm thinking that maybe I should put in my Track Attack heat exchanger as well since I already have this much work done. Any other mods I should be thinking about well I have the front off? Ie fogs etc.

regarding the rivets, what should I use to replace those during reassembly?
Get a rivet gun from Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. Otherwise use cable ties

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cable ties it is!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
J purchased them from another member but yoy cacan purchase from GM as well. Not sure if part number

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Rivets to swap in a new grill only.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I just used bolts and nuts to attach new grille to upper piece but I assume Zip ties would be fine.

Btw you do not need to remove bumper to install upper grille...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car has rivets holding my oem grill in also. After drilling them out and installing new grill what type of push clip and side do you recommend? I'm not using zip ties I want it to be done correctly. thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts